UCL Draw Thread

Madmax

Fantastic draw, we'll most likely get knocked out if we get Barca and the final is almost 100% Real vs Barca but what a run if we get to the Semi's again, it will be a success to even get to the semi's if we do indeed dispose of Benfica which we should. Can't believe it's so soon, talk about hectic fucking schedule it's madness. This is where the squad should be used properly. Meireles, Bertrand, Torres (Instead of Drogba), Romeu, Malouda and Kalou MUST play on sunday. I know it too is another really huge game but we can beat Leicester with these in the line up imo.

The thought of Chelsea vs Barca semi revenge of 2009 looks juicy but they've come a long way since even then, we'd have no chance especially as the 2nd leg is away but it's been emotional :P Barca will comfortably see off Milan i think.

Nice to see we're still alive in so many things at this stage of the season and it aint over yet by a long shot.

Just got back form a career's day, i was on my way there trying to text loads of mates to see who we have no one was answering or texting back so i was still on egde shitting it that we had Madrid or Farca but someone in car let me borrow their phone internet checked and was satisfied tbh.

Our best chance of pulling this off is either us or preferably Milan producing a stellar 2 legs against Barca, it can be done, and hopefully Munich will knock Jose's Madrid because i think they will be hard to beat because of Jose.

Befica in quarter, Milan in semi, Munich in final would be great.

Just got back form a career's day, i was on my way there trying to text loads of mates to see who we have no one was answering or texting back so i was still on egde shitting it that we had Madrid or Farca but someone in car let me borrow their phone internet checked and was satisfied tbh.

Our best chance of pulling this off is either us or preferably Milan producing a stellar 2 legs against Barca, it can be done, and hopefully Munich will knock Jose's Madrid because i think they will be hard to beat because of Jose.

Befica in quarter, Milan in semi, Munich in final would be great.

Sometimes, hell I mean most of the time, the obvious solution is not the best one. If Milan were to beat Barca, they're going to be incredibly pumped up and could be trouble. Barca on the other hand will probably keep our players on their toes when facing them.

But of course, none of this matters unless we get past Benfica.

What a draw!!!!!!!! My 2 favourite teams in the world drawn against each other, my heart is divided. Benfica is in my soul and in my family's soul, but Chelsea have become more than a passing fancy. I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It will be amazing to see the reception that David Luiz and Ramires (especially Luiz) receive from the crowd in Lisbon, no doubt it will be a hero's welcome for them before the game but once kickoff comes it will be all bets off.

My hope is for entertaining games with fair referees and both teams pushing for goals. One thing is for sure, Benfica will be out there to test Chelsea's defense with some really skilled attacking players. People can say that Chelsea dealt well with Napoli's potent offense but Benfica are more accustomed than Napoli to playing English opponents and doing well.

To be honest, Chelsea would do well to push offensively against Benfica as their strength is in attack. Luisao and Garay are solid as they come in central defense but Emerson at left back can be exploited, definitely the weak link. Maxi Pereira at rightback is solid and rarely has an off game.You guys will see an amazing central midfielder in Axel Witzel, definitely a star in the making. His box to box style fits perfectly in our midfield combining with defensive rock Javi Garcia and our maestro Aimar pulling the strings. When things are tight and we're holding onto a lead Matic (remember him) will come in to help solidify the middle. No shortage of attacking options with Gaitan, Nolito, and Bruno Caesar interchangably roaming the wings. The strikers are strong with Cardozo having a rocket left foot extremely dangerous at free kicks. Rodrigo is the next big striker for Spain while Nelson Oliveira is the next big striker for Portugal (doesn't say much since that's been Portugal's weak spot for years). These 3 strikers have kept Saviola on the bench, definitely a strong asset to have on the bench.

Hopefully people here don't take Benfica too lightly or risk being disappointed. Normally Chelsea sees a lot of positive press in Portugal due to the numerous links Chelsea has with Portuguese football although the propaganda machine is already working showing Chelsea players shall we say "not scared" to be drawn against us.

Anyways, I'm not here to cheer for Benfica against Chelsea as they are both near and dear to me. I hope nobody takes offense this post cuz I'm simply trying to give those of you who are less familiar with Benfica some perspective of who you'll be facing. I watch them week in and week out so feel free to discuss anything Benfica with me and a few other Portuguese posters sprinkled in the forum. Here's hoping for a great tie where the best team wins! Either way I win cuz I'll have a team in the semis.

Would have beat Barca couple of times if we'd had the penalties that were nailed on

Souness has said many a time Chelsea are the only team that can beat them

Not just Souness, most of the fans I know from Arsenal or Man Utd have the same opinion. Heres why..

In 04-05

2-1 to Barca (DrogbaRed Carded)

4-2 Chelsea

In 05-06

1-2 to Barca (Del Horno sent off thanks to Messi Theatrics)

1-1 at Camp Nou

In 06-07

1-1 at the Bridge

2-2 at Barca

In 08-09

0-0 at Camp Mou

1-1 at Bridge (Thanks to the Bald Norwegien who is a disgrace to the game)

Not much difference between the two teams.

All in All Chelsea has scored 11 goals and so has Barca. We have won once against them but they have won twice. But they have not won against us with 11 on 11. We have not won at Camp Nou. But if you have followed these games you will know that we have always had the upper hand and we were always undone by the Referees.

I for one wanted to play them after 09. They were so undeserving to go through that season with the referee being so incompetent.

We actually beat them 1-0 at the bridge in 06-07. A wonderful goal by Drogs. To be honest, with the history we have with Barca, they will be wary of us too and an upset is unlikely but not impossible. Can't think of Barca too much yet because Benfica are a very decent and competent team.

If we play like the Chelsea of Old with Power they have no chance unless UEFA has one of their corrupt referees officiating the game. One thing this season that may work to our advantage is that unlike previous seasons no one is expecting us to win it. Pressure is off. Also, looking at the team most do not think we can compete with squads of Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern. Inter Milan were SHIT untill they started the knock outs and the rest is history. Liverpool were shit untill Geraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard (Andy Gray Style) scored that screamer against Olympiakos. We have nothing to lose. If we go out, we go out all guns blazing