test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jason

European Competition thread

Started by Jason,

4,658 posts in this topic

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/football-frei-bows-goal-pulled-muscle-basel-stay-202313185.html

Alexander Frei has retired from professional football and that means he won't be playing against us in the semi final.

The fuck? Why would he retire now when Basel are close to being crowned champions of Switzerland and for the first time in who knows how long really have a chance of winning big in Europe too? :lol:

Good news for us though, so I'm not complaining.

Last chance to win some silver-ware. I know it's not as important as the league but I should hope the younger players will be hungry for some sort of title, would be a shame to go home empty handed at the end of it all.

I whole heatedly disagree.

We have to win this now. Come too far not to.

Why would the manager play kids in the semi final of a European comp when he is 3 games away from winning it?

Expect a full strength team.

Backstreet09 and Hutcho like this

This is laughable at best. Now that we have lost in the FA cup this is our only chance at silverware, and still some of you don't want to win it. What the hell are some of you guys smoking? All four of the clubs left in the competition are top class, and Basel has been shitting on the EPL the past few years, so it would be nice to knock a team out (that beat Man U and Spurs) and make the finals.

These players are professional athletes, they should be up for every match, and try to win every possible trophy.

Now what is the point in not wanting to go for it ... Either way we have to play the 2 games (home and away) and Rafa has given the cups more priority so lets go out and get this one ATLEAST!

Not entirely sure how much this Rob Beasley guys is reliable (although he seems very close to the club), but according to him, the players asked if they would get bonuses for winning the EL and the answer was "get lost" because this was not an objective at the start of the season.

Wonder how that would affect the players' attitude and performances, if it s true..

The fuck? Why would he retire now when Basel are close to being crowned champions of Switzerland and for the first time in who knows how long really have a chance of winning big in Europe too? :lol:

Good news for us though, so I'm not complaining.

He sustained an injury apparently. But great great player. Probably the best in Switzerland's history. Absolutely loved him.

He sustained an injury apparently. But great great player. Probably the best in Switzerland's history. Absolutely loved him.

He had already made the decision weeks ago so I'd assume the injury had nothing to do with it.

This is laughable at best. Now that we have lost in the FA cup this is our only chance at silverware, and still some of you don't want to win it. What the hell are some of you guys smoking? All four of the clubs left in the competition are top class, and Basel has been shitting on the EPL the past few years, so it would be nice to knock a team out (that beat Man U and Spurs) and make the finals.

These players are professional athletes, they should be up for every match, and try to win every possible trophy.

Some fans think the top four is a trophy. It isn't. It's a necessity.

He had already made the decision weeks ago so I'd assume the injury had nothing to do with it.

Yes, but I think he made the decision to retire at the end of the season and the injury just pushed that closer. At least, that's what the article said. :dunno:

slow your roll bro. We need to get by FC Basel first. Ask manure & spudz about this side. and no, FC Basel is not a pub team.

Read my first couple of words.

Its fun to talk about, thats all.