The Thread is Dark and Full of Spoilers: "Game of Thrones" discussion

manpe

I would agree that having his hand cut certainly helped him change his perspective on life. It is from that point he became my favourite character.

In A Feast for Crows, when he returns to King's Landing, he is shunned by Cersei because he has become a good person. The chapters where he is trying to become reacquainted with his old life are probably the best in the book.

It's from this scene though that the general audience realises that this supposed bastard Kingslayer actually saved the realm. The more and more you watch this series you will realise that the "good" men - men with honour like Eddard Stark - are incredibly poor at playing this Game. But you also realise that the honourable Ned Stark was actually a bit of a n00b and a bit of a twat.

Jaime ftw.

dude???? the only truly respectable character (except for tyrion)...

And look where "respect" gets you in Martin's world!

When you play the Game of Thrones, you win or you die.

(Don't click below unless you want some seriously juicy spoilers that may ruin the next three seasons of the show)

Magister Illyrio, Littlefinger, Lord Varys - especially these three, but also to some extent Lord Bolton (and Ramsay, his bastard), Lord Walder Frey, Lord Tywin also. Even Balon Greyjoy, Quentyn Martell and to some extent, Daenerys. These are those that can play this Game.

There was no honour or chivalry in the medieval world, and Martin encapsulates this perfectly. Backstabbing sycophants filled the court of every baron and duke, and those who desired power were ruthless in their acquisition of it. It was literally a dog-eat-dog world, and the complexity of this is something very well reflected in Martin's series. That is one of the major pulling factors of his work; the politics of Rome and the dynastic feuds of the Wars of the Roses are perfectly represented through his own perspective. A Song of Ice and Fire isn't fantasy, it is historical fiction. It is a fictional representation of real world happenings.

So that is why the honourable characters die in this series. The Starks are naive, and they get punished for their innocence. BIG TIME.

I don't understand, is Littlefinger plotting to take over the throne? How can he possibly do that?

I guess so, Alex posted a picture in this thread where you can see littlefinger sitting on the iron throne! How will he do it is the reason why everyone is glued to this show! I certainly don't want anyone to spill the beans(for those who have read the book). But it was a powerful speech by him in the last episode. "Chaos is a ladder"

Is there something you should be knowing before watching this? I'm only watching the Pilot now and I can't help but feel I'm missing something.

Not really.. just start from season 1 and you'll be fine!

Edit: or did u mean the latest episode?

Games of thrones is the biggest and best thing on TV, they have done an amazing job of taking the books and converting it for TV. Series 3 has been good so far, even though small things are changing slightly from the books it is still epic and has had my favorite scene for Dany in the whole series where she takes the unsullied, she needs to show more of her badass side.

There is nothing like this series of books, and it is going to be very interesting to see where they take it...

Absolutely love the TV series but the books are even better, love the series so much my son is even named after a ASOIAF character.....

Games of thrones is the biggest and best thing on TV, they have done an amazing job of taking the books and converting it for TV. Series 3 has been good so far, even though small things are changing slightly from the books it is still epic and has had my favorite scene for Dany in the whole series where she takes the unsullied, she needs to show more of her badass side.

There is nothing like this series of books, and it is going to be very interesting to see where they take it...

Absolutely love the TV series but the books are even better, love the series so much my son is even named after a ASOIAF character.....

Which one?

Is there something you should be knowing before watching this? I'm only watching the Pilot now and I can't help but feel I'm missing something.

I am guessing you started from 1st season, right? Well, just sit back and let it unravel itself! You will be hooked in no time!!

Strike, the only bit of context you need to know prior to S1E01 is something called 'Robert's Rebellion'. Years before the start of the show, there was the last King of the Targaryens, called Aerys II the Mad King, who was slain by a member of his own bodyguard, the Kingsguard - Jaime Lannister, a major character in the show. During this rebellion, a man called Robert Baratheon (in the show, this is King Robert), with the help of Jon Arryn (his former Hand, who has recently died) and Eddard Stark (the Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North) overthrew the Mad King, deposing him of his rule and (supposedly) ending the ancient Targaryen rule (however we know of another Targaryen, who is a major character in the novels...). Lord Arryn has died and Robert needs a new Hand to help him rule, so S1E01 is about him travelling to Winterfell to personally ask Eddard to join him in King's Landing, the capital.

Great show, I started watching it some weeks back from scratch and I was overly impressed. The mixture of medieval-like life and warfare, sex, nudity and treachery is amazing. Just started watching season 2 with a female friend and I'm looking forward to the other episodes. BTW have the white-walkers gotten more ostentatious appearances in season 2/3?

I have a question here for people well versed with the books. What was the point of

Jon Snow killing Halfhand?
What was the objective? I still can't get my head around it!!

I have a question here for people well versed with the books. What was the point of

Jon Snow killing Halfhand?
What was the objective? I still can't get my head around it!!

The TV show kind of messed that scene up really and didn't get across the point.

Halfhand knew that Jon had to get in with the wildlings and the only way to gain their trust was for Jon to kill Halfhand and so Halfhand instigated the fight so Jon would kill him and Jon could gain the trust of the wildlings.

The TV show kind of messed that scene up really and didn't get across the point.

Halfhand knew that Jon had to get in with the wildlings and the only way to gain their trust was for Jon to kill Halfhand and so Halfhand instigated the fight so Jon would kill him and Jon could gain the trust of the wildlings.
Yeah, i thought so but the way the wildlings talk about Halfhand as he was the only man who could beat their beast and they all sort of feared him, i thought why kill him when he is such a great warrior!!