The General Football Thread

Melanicus

34 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Christ, I hate that club.  A common phrase is that no player is bigger than the club.  LFC think that they're bigger than everything.  

1 hour ago, Sideshow Luiz said:

Christ, I hate that club.  A common phrase is that no player is bigger than the club.  LFC think that they're bigger than everything.  

Hey 'we're always the victims, it's never our fault'

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like its not only T'Boas dad and Willians daughter that cant keep their noses out of footballing business (IF this is true of course. She might be putting her hands up to stop her hubby from getting in the shit)

It sounds with the after game Kovacic interview that hes very happy here and Sarri made him feel wanted and needed and is making all the right noises about us being his future. Well I hope thas right cause even tho right now Modric is still brillians and fit hes on that wrong side of 30 and we cant trust RM at all.

Real Madrid transfer news: Major twist as Luka Modric speaks to FIFA over Inter - report

LUKA MODRIC has reportedly given his side of the story in Real Madrid’s complaint to FIFA over Inter Milan’s interest in the playmaker.

http://www.penalty-kick.com/international/real-madrid-news-luka-modrics-wife-offered-inter-milan

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ten years of demographic analysis of
the football players’ labour market in Europe

CIES Football Observatory Monthly Report

n°39 - November 2018

http://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/mr/mr39/en/

1. Introduction

The long-term work carried out within the CIES Football Observatory focuses, in particular, on the demographic analysis of the football players’ labour market. It is with pride that we are able to provide an overview of the principle changes observed over the past decade.

The study covers three areas: training (club-trained players), migration (expatriate footballers) and mobility (players having changed team during the year). The sample is made up of teams having participated in 31 top division leagues of UEFA member associations between 2009 and 2018.

To be included, a player had to be present on the 1st of October in the first team squad of the clubs analysed. Moreover, he must have already played in domestic league games during the current season or, this being not the case, to have played matches in adult championships during each of the two preceding seasons (B-teams not included). The second and third goalkeepers have been taken into account in all cases.

fig00.svg?crc=221906563

2. Training

In accordance with the UEFA definition, club-trained players are those having spent at least three seasons between 15 and 21 years of age in the employer team. The proportion of this category of footballers has never been as low as on the 1st of October 2018: 16.9% (-6.3% in ten years). The decrease observed during the last year has been the greatest ever recorded (-1.6%). The average annual drop has increased from 0.37% between 2009 and 2013 to 1.02% between 2014 and 2018.

A decrease was observed all over the continent. Northern and Central Europe remain the zones with the highest proportion of club-trained footballers. However, a sharp decline was also observed since 2009: -8.8% and -8.4% respectively. In all areas, the values measured in 2018 are the lowest ever recorded. Southern Europe has the lowest overall value (12.8%).

fig01.svg?crc=229296006

snip

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Vesper said:

I salute our elders!

Kerry Dixon

1983–1992      Chelsea    335 games     (147 goals)

Was at a few of those :D

cost 150 000 back in the day, which Bates wasn't that happy with -but what a gem he was. We'd be top if we had him up front now.

The Daily Fail has ad nauseum stories about Sterling, Headhunter banners, Chelsea racists etc.

The comments are 'moderated'. 

They have one story about Sterling being the new face of a Nike advert on the back of the ''vicious racism he was subjected to at Stamford Bridge''. I commented that it was ''alleged'' and that if those middle aged blokes were guilty they would have been charged by now.

Like I said the comments are 'moderated' so mine did not appear. Bbbbbbbut….they have now re written the story, saying 'alleged racism' :P

We're in an age, with twitter etc when an opinion is just as important as a fact :rolleyes:, and where offence is a badge of worthiness.

I think political correctness is great -racism, sexism, homophobia etc is divisive and there is no place for it. But this has now been superceded, hijacked by the notion 'I'm offended', This has given massive ammunition to the right, and people are fed up being called 'nazis' etc. (This actually strengthens real Nazis) and a backlash to all this chastisement is populist protest  - Trump, Brexit etc. 

Sunday morning rant, I'll shut up now.

49 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

The Daily Fail has ad nauseum stories about Sterling, Headhunter banners, Chelsea racists etc.

They have one story about Sterling being the new face of a Nike advert on the back of the ''vicious racism he was subjected to at Stamford Bridge''. I commented that it was ''alleged'' and that if those middle aged blokes were guilty they would have been charged by now.

Like I said the comments are 'moderated' so mine did not appear. Bbbbbbbut….they have now re written the story, saying 'alleged racism' :P

We're in an age, with twitter etc when an opinion is just as important as a fact :rolleyes:, and where offence is a badge of worthiness.

I think political correctness is great -racism, sexism, homophobia etc is divisive and there is no place for it. But this has now been superceded, hijacked by the notion 'I'm offended', This has given massive ammunition to the right, and people are fed up being called 'nazis' etc. (This actually strengthens real Nazis) and a backlash to all this chastisement is populist protest  - Trump, Brexit etc. 

The problem is and has been for many decades that the media is stronger than anything else. They are all powerful and answer to no laws.

They can make or break you, build up or tear down any views on any subject you can think of.

They lie, omit and bend facts and only tell us what 'THEY' want us to know.

Almost as bad as politicians and the old Bill.

1 hour ago, Fulham Broadway said:

I just see thisin the Sunday Times mate. Printed it all out cause you only get the 1st paragraph unless you join and then you only get 4 free views!

Chelsea ‘alerted to racist fan in 2014’

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/chelsea-alerted-to-racist-fan-in-2014-c75qxnx2l

Chelsea were alerted to the presence of the supporter at the centre of the Raheem Sterling race row and a group of fans chanting racist abuse at Stamford Bridge as far back as January 2014.

Colin Wing was the supporter accused of racially abusing Sterling during last Saturday’s match against Manchester City. After being identified by press and television images, he denied that he had called the England player a “******* black ****”, insisting that he had used the word “Manc” rather than “black”.

Wing and three other fans have been banned from attending matches while the club and police investigate the incident. However, another Chelsea fan has told The Sunday Times that Wing had been part of a group using the same racist term at a match nearly five years ago and that he then wrote to the club to complain. Josh Smaller had taken his then 10-year-old son to see the Premier League fixture against Manchester United in January 2014. They sat in the Matthew Harding stand — the same part of the ground where Wing was pictured last weekend.

As the game progressed, a group of fans three or four rows behind them launched a series of verbal assaults which, as well as the phrase “******* black ****”, included derogatory terms for Hispanic players and “every swear word going”. Most were directed at United players but Chelsea’s Fernando Torres was also a target. Smaller, a firefighter who was not unaccustomed to bad language, felt particularly uncomfortable because he was with his young son. The pair subsequently wrote to the club, with Smaller’s son penning a hand-written note revealing how upset the fans’ abuse had left him.

Chelsea thanked them for getting in touch and asked for further information to help them identify the individuals, which Smaller provided. They heard no more of the matter.

He then saw the photo in last week’s Sunday Times in which Wing featured prominently among those abusing Sterling. Television footage appeared to show him calling the Manchester City star a “******* black ****”. Smaller recognised Wing from the group who had used the term in 2014. His son agreed it was the same man.

The Sterling incident came five days before Chelsea supporters were accused of anti-semitic chanting at their Europa League tie against Vidi in Budapest. The club reacted with a strong statement that said “individuals that can’t summon the brain-power to comprehend this simple message and are found to have shamed the club by using anti-semitism or racist words or actions will face the strongest possible action from the club”.

Uefa are awaiting the referee’s report from the game. If Chelsea are found guilty they face a partial ground closure for one or more future European matches at Stamford Bridge.

It was reported last night that fans in Budapest were pictured holding a Chelsea Headhunters flag featuring Nazi insignia.

A spokesperson for Chelsea said: “We always act robustly to any report of inappropriate behaviour by our fans and impose bans. Sometimes we do not always have sufficient information to identify the culprits, though we do have a dedicated section within our matchday programme asking spectators to inform us if they have seen anything untoward.

“It was only late in the game last Saturday that we saw the allegations made on social media about a small section of our fans and we instantly dispatched stewards to the relevant area to ensure that the police could make inquiries.”

2 hours ago, Unionjack said:

I just see thisin the Sunday Times mate. Printed it all out cause you only get the 1st paragraph unless you join and then you only get 4 free views!

Chelsea ‘alerted to racist fan in 2014’

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/chelsea-alerted-to-racist-fan-in-2014-c75qxnx2l

Chelsea were alerted to the presence of the supporter at the centre of the Raheem Sterling race row and a group of fans chanting racist abuse at Stamford Bridge as far back as January 2014.

Colin Wing was the supporter accused of racially abusing Sterling during last Saturday’s match against Manchester City. After being identified by press and television images, he denied that he had called the England player a “******* black ****”, insisting that he had used the word “Manc” rather than “black”.

Wing and three other fans have been banned from attending matches while the club and police investigate the incident. However, another Chelsea fan has told The Sunday Times that Wing had been part of a group using the same racist term at a match nearly five years ago and that he then wrote to the club to complain. Josh Smaller had taken his then 10-year-old son to see the Premier League fixture against Manchester United in January 2014. They sat in the Matthew Harding stand — the same part of the ground where Wing was pictured last weekend.

As the game progressed, a group of fans three or four rows behind them launched a series of verbal assaults which, as well as the phrase “******* black ****”, included derogatory terms for Hispanic players and “every swear word going”. Most were directed at United players but Chelsea’s Fernando Torres was also a target. Smaller, a firefighter who was not unaccustomed to bad language, felt particularly uncomfortable because he was with his young son. The pair subsequently wrote to the club, with Smaller’s son penning a hand-written note revealing how upset the fans’ abuse had left him.

Chelsea thanked them for getting in touch and asked for further information to help them identify the individuals, which Smaller provided. They heard no more of the matter.

He then saw the photo in last week’s Sunday Times in which Wing featured prominently among those abusing Sterling. Television footage appeared to show him calling the Manchester City star a “******* black ****”. Smaller recognised Wing from the group who had used the term in 2014. His son agreed it was the same man.

The Sterling incident came five days before Chelsea supporters were accused of anti-semitic chanting at their Europa League tie against Vidi in Budapest. The club reacted with a strong statement that said “individuals that can’t summon the brain-power to comprehend this simple message and are found to have shamed the club by using anti-semitism or racist words or actions will face the strongest possible action from the club”.

Uefa are awaiting the referee’s report from the game. If Chelsea are found guilty they face a partial ground closure for one or more future European matches at Stamford Bridge.

It was reported last night that fans in Budapest were pictured holding a Chelsea Headhunters flag featuring Nazi insignia.

A spokesperson for Chelsea said: “We always act robustly to any report of inappropriate behaviour by our fans and impose bans. Sometimes we do not always have sufficient information to identify the culprits, though we do have a dedicated section within our matchday programme asking spectators to inform us if they have seen anything untoward.

“It was only late in the game last Saturday that we saw the allegations made on social media about a small section of our fans and we instantly dispatched stewards to the relevant area to ensure that the police could make inquiries.”

Thanks for that UJ -yeah haven't subscribed to Murdochs 'Times' -the old tortoise gets enough off me for Sky :fist:

One thing for sure the media are on a roll nailing Chelsea and their fans atm. What is funny is to Google the journos- you see what a right bunch of red supporting pricks they are.

On October 7th, Gourav Mukhi became the youngest goalscorer in the history of the Indian League at just 16 years old.
Two months later, the player has been suspended for 6 months for lying about his age. He's actually 28.

LOOOOOOOOL

• 1 month later...

Emiliano Sala: Flare report sparks search of remote island in hunt for Cardiff striker

POLICE search and rescue teams have scoured the island of Burhou in a bid to find the missing Cardiff City striker Emiliano Sala after flares were seen shooting from the sky.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1077196/Emiliano-sala-latest-news-cardiff-city-rescue-mission?utm_source=traffic.outbrain&utm_medium=traffic.outbrain&utm_term=traffic.outbrain&utm_content=traffic.outbrain&utm_campaign=traffic.outbrain