Ligue Un Discussion Thread

BlueLion.

So much for people predicting PSG to walkover Ligue 1 this season. On the other hand, Montpellier haven't made the best of starts to the season too, lost twice and drew the other. Only Marseille have a 100% record still after 3 games and they beat Montpellier at the weekend.

PSG will dominate that league, but I'm not sure if Ancelotti is the right man for the job. Very much the same as Mancini at City. He has the resources, but no idea how to use them.

This might be a reason.

http://www.bettingexpert.com/blog/5-tactical-observations-august-2012

Three games and three draws for Paris St Germain is a fairly embarrassing start to the season, when you consider the capital club outspent every other Ligue 1 club put together in the summer transfer window. While no coach would complain about the arrivals of world class players like Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Thiago Silva, Carlo Ancelotti seems to have been given some players that don’t really fit into his preferred Christmas Tree formation.

Ezequiel Lavezzi, for example, is a limited football that excelled at Napoli because he was given a specific task – stay wide and high up the pitch, stretch the play and provide directness on the flank. He did that job excellently, but his suitability for a different formation is highly questionable. In a Christmas Tree shape, Ancelotti has used him both as an attacking midfielder and an outright centre-forward dropping deep, but didn’t play well in either system, and was sent-off when used upfront.

Ancelotti is highly committed to the Christmas Tree shape – he used it at Milan when Silvio Berlusconi allowed him to, and occasionally played it to good effect at Chelsea. But PSG’s set of players – with gifted wide players like Lavezzi and Nene, a brilliant number ten in Javier Pastore and a world-class striker like Ibrahimovic, the 4-2-3-1 favoured by Ancelotti’s predecessor Antoine Kombouare is surely the way to go.

So much for people predicting PSG to walkover Ligue 1 this season. On the other hand, Montpellier haven't made the best of starts to the season too, lost twice and drew the other. Only Marseille have a 100% record still after 3 games and they beat Montpellier at the weekend.

True, and Marseille started last years campaign horrifically. It's a hotly-contested league that is very unpredictable. Am I right in thinking we've seen four different winners of Ligue 1 in the past four seasons, following Lyon's prolonged dominance of the league?

It's nice to see PSG stumble though because they were outstanding favourites for the league and everyone loves an underdog. Lyon and Marseille had poor seasons last time out (by their standards), but have both started this campaign well which is nice to see. Especially given the fact that Marseille are going through financial trouble having renovated the Velodrome and didn't qualify for the Champions League.

Don't see why other fans are reluctant to watch Ligue 1 though, most matches are highly entertaining and there are some quality players in the making plying their trade there. I love it.

"We're not going to stab ourselves, and we're not going to die. But we lost. We lost," the 69-year-old told radio station RMC.

"We have all the ingredients for success; the lads have played together for a while, and they're quality players. But things look bleak.

"Right now, I'm not happy, but when I saw PSG draw 0-0 with Bordeaux, it was comforting. I said to myself, 'They're as stupid as we are'"

Montpellier president :lol:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just listened to the start of David Beckhams press conference at PSG -not one question about football for the first three questions, and then ''Why did you choose PSG ?''

Usual bollocks about being honoured and priviliged, greatest club etc (in a slight French accent ala Barton :D ).

I am sure the Qatari owners are very pleased that they have a plaything and they can boast to their wives that they signed Beckham and the product will sell loads of shirts, have a midfield dynamo with loads of stamina

Still, fair play to the squeaky voiced anorexic shagger, hes giving his salary to a childrens charidee