Ligue Un Discussion Thread

BlueLion.

Tbf though, if he doesn't win the Ligue 1 title with THAT squad, he deserves to be sacked.

Which is one of the reasons I was hoping Malaga would be the club spending money on players. It would make La Liga a lot more tolerable with the Real/Barca monopoly broken up. However, I suppose the positive side to Malaga's destruction is that the Premier League will remain a powerhouse.

How is the PL going to remain a power house if City is suppose to dominate everything in it's path? :rolleyes:

Will you two give City-United 'DOMINATION FOREVER' a rest?

If Term's right then they'll go to shit in 5 seasons. If Justin is right they'll go to shit in 5 seasons. Both the arguments fail to realise that they, reasonably soon, will be hit with the same problems we have been having since 2010, selling their ageing shite.

They won't win. They were pathetic in the Euro League last season and Zlatan is a known failure in the Champions League. Besides they will have minimal to no chemistry within the team and if they don't offload some players quick they are going to have quite a few unhappy campers.

You have to look on the flipside, PSG may just become that team that everyone is sick of winning all the time. In France, since Lyon's seven year period of domination ended there has been a different champion every season, I don't know about you but I believe the Ligue 1 was domestically (not European wise, they are faltering in that domain) healthier before PSG became P$G. In England Chelsea's cash injection was good for competiton seeing as every year it was Arsenal v Manchester United. But for the last five or so years the Ligue 1 was an oddball, no one could really judge who was going to win it, but with PSG miles ahead in terms of talent, I see a only grim days for every other club in the Ligue 1.

07-08 Lyon

08-09 Bordeaux

09-10 Marseille

10-11 Lille

11-12 Montepellier

Absolutely. I consider myself to be something of an authority when it comes to French football, because it is the only other league I pay attention to.

For the last three seasons, the Ligue has been absolutely unpredictable. Lyon deservedly won it in 07/08, and whilst they did win it in 09/10, Marseilles should have done the same the previous year. But out of nowhere came Bordeaux. No-one expected that to happen. It was their first title in a decade. Lille, at the time, were playing the best football in the division but if you would have asked me in 2009 if they would go on and win the title a couple of years later, I'd have laughed at you.

There has been an absolute revolution in the French football hierarchies. You only have to look at how distinctly average Marseille and Lyon have become. Montpellier winning the title was the biggest shock of all. But now PSG will dominate. There is no way they will not.

How is the PL going to remain a power house if City is suppose to dominate everything in it's path? :rolleyes:

City won't dominate with Mancini in charge. Plus the English league is too competitive. Chelsea are re-emerging and United are mental champions; they will always compete. Then you have the next level - the Arsenals, the Liverpools, the Tottenhams. There is no such competition in Spain, hence the Madrid-Barcelona duopoly. In England, there are three - potentially four, as I think Arsenal have a good shot this season if they retain van Persie - sides that can win the league. Hence there will never be domination of the English division.

City won't dominate with Mancini in charge. Plus the English league is too competitive. Chelsea are re-emerging and United are mental champions; they will always compete. Then you have the next level - the Arsenals, the Liverpools, the Tottenhams. There is no such competition in Spain, hence the Madrid-Barcelona duopoly. In England, there are three - potentially four, as I think Arsenal have a good shot this season if they retain van Persie - sides that can win the league. Hence there will never be domination of the English division.

That is what I always believed.

But the doomsday fanatic over there thinks its the end of us all just cause City won one league tittle.....

Absolutely. I consider myself to be something of an authority when it comes to French football, because it is the only other league I pay attention to.

For the last three seasons, the Ligue has been absolutely unpredictable. Lyon deservedly won it in 07/08, and whilst they did win it in 09/10, Marseilles should have done the same the previous year. But out of nowhere came Bordeaux. No-one expected that to happen. It was their first title in a decade. Lille, at the time, were playing the best football in the division but if you would have asked me in 2009 if they would go on and win the title a couple of years later, I'd have laughed at you.

There has been an absolute revolution in the French football hierarchies. You only have to look at how distinctly average Marseille and Lyon have become. Montpellier winning the title was the biggest shock of all. But now PSG will dominate. There is no way they will not.

It's kind of upsetting too, because underneath all it's negative publicity the French Ligue was very, very exciting and very insane. What other major league in Europe can lay claim to having it's two best clubs (Lyon & Marseille) having a 5-5 draw? Sure it doesn't have the incredible superstars of England or the mega clubs of Spain or even the history of Italy, but for a while it was crazy entertaining.

Oh well, I can just continue with the Bundesliga. COME ON DORTMUND! WOOT! WOOT! At least they have rules preventing foreign investment.

Yep, Spanish football is predicated on the condition that Barcelona and Real Madrid always receive 130+ million in TV rights and under absolutely no circumstances must a third club earn more than 50 million, which is one of the major factors in how far ahead of the pack they are. The other teams know the Europa League is the only chance they get at a trophy- all the domestic ones will invariably end up in the hands of the big two and that explains why Spanish teams take the EL so seriously and tend to do very well. That kind of scenario lends itself to murky corruption (Operacion Puerto) and domination.

England are nowhere near that and thankfully never will be. Domination like that is just not possible anymore. Even Man United in the PL era have never walked to a title, they've always had at least one rival and they've had to fight their way to the title on many occasions.

It's kind of upsetting too, because underneath all it's negative publicity the French Ligue was very, very exciting and very insane. What other major league in Europe can lay claim to having it's two best clubs (Lyon & Marseille) having a 5-5 draw? Sure it doesn't have the incredible superstars of England or the mega clubs of Spain or even the history of Italy, but for a while it was crazy entertaining.

Oh well, I can just continue with the Bundesliga. COME ON DORTMUND! WOOT! WOOT! At least they have rules preventing foreign investment.

Le Championnat is actually a very exciting league. The defensive quality isn't all that great - but teams play far more attractive and expansive football (in general) in Ligue Un than in England or even Germany. Teams like Montpellier, Lille and Nice have a history of playing good, attacking football and that is not something that is likely to change in 100 years. The bigger teams - Lyon, Marseilles, PSG - are a bit more functional in their style of play, especially with Ancelotti in charge of the latter. In fact, believe it or not, there was a commotion last season over Ancelotti making them boring to watch. I hope that isn't the case this season because of the players at their disposal!