The Chelsea-Vitesse Thread

4 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Not really, they are signed to play for the team if good enough, and it has its advantages, in Courtois we basically (for all intents and purposes) signed a world class goalkeeper for nothing in 2014.

If one Courtois level player can creep out of the woodwork every three years then that alone vindicates the loan system we use, Christensen looks set to be the next one, if a midfielder follows suit in say 2018/19 that's a world class spine assembled by the loan system.

I agree. People can point out players, that have not worked out, all day long, but we must remember that the loan system provided football with players like De Bruyne and Courtois! 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Tomo said:

Not really, they are signed to play for the team if good enough, and it has its advantages, in Courtois we basically (for all intents and purposes) signed a world class goalkeeper for nothing in 2014.

If one Courtois level player can creep out of the woodwork every three years then that alone vindicates the loan system we use, Christensen looks set to be the next one, if a midfielder follows suit in say 2018/19 that's a world class spine assembled by the loan system.

I feel like we go over this process time and time again :lol: 

There's no doubt the youth transfer market is a market of its own. Behaving in an entirely different way to the 'professional' transfer market. You're not just buying potential for yourself you're buying on their value and such. 

Personally, I don't know how I feel about it. Our academy is a treasure chest right now, the replication of the Busy Babe's record in FAYC is a feat that should be shown off. Their time is quickly upon us and I'd dread to think the repercussions of screwing these guys up. 

I don't want to bring up the generation we've let go again, but we're gonna have to do a lot better than one Courtois every 3 years..

3 hours ago, Tomo said:

Can't agree with this, at all. Would you say that the day we signed, say Cuevas, Perica, Wallace, Nathan, Rodriguez, Hector, you said, this is a good signing for the future, they will be good enough for us. (Probably after watching youtube videos, because that's what i often did. :D )
One thing is signing Courtois, KdB, (I wouldn't include Christensen in this category) because you know they are going to be huge talents, another is buying players because, whatever it is the reason we buy those kind of players. It is only natural that in the mix of 30+ players on loan, an average of 2 or 3 will be decent to good players.
Why don't, instead, do some proper homework, and sign only players we know are going to be useful and will make it in the team.
In short, I really can't bring myself to like this loan system we adoperate.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Interesting read

How Chelsea’s links to Vitesse Arnhem run deeper than the public was told

Chelsea and Vitesse have always said they have no formal ownership link but a series of emails reveals the key involvement of senior Stamford Bridge executives in the 2010 takeover of the Eredivisie club

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/feb/28/chelsea-vitesse-arnhem-links-deeper-public-told

• 1 month later...