Oscar

themightyblue

That is totally unfair. He's talented and it isn't a question of him improving or anything, he just needs to be more consistent. He hasn't been awful this season, I think he's done well. He isn't as talented as Eden or as good a playmaker as Cesc or as good defensively as Willian, but he does a lot of things well. If he can just show up more often he would be a solid long term player for us.

He's better defensively than Willian imo, Willian has a physique advantage though - in pace, stamina and strength.

I also don't think he's had a bad season. The crosses for Diego and Hazard goals were amazing, the quick link up to Cesc's goal, the link up with Cesc and Hazard has been good on occasions too. And that's the problem and we both agree: he's good on occasion. He has to start being good week in and out.

He's better defensively than Willian imo, Willian has a physique advantage though - in pace, stamina and strength.

I also don't think he's had a bad season. The crosses for Diego and Hazard goals were amazing, the quick link up to Cesc's goal, the link up with Cesc and Hazard has been good on occasions too. And that's the problem and we both agree: he's good on occasion. He has to start being good week in and out.

Absolutely. The part of Skips post I mostly disagreed with was where he said he's giving up on him. He has only been absent for a handful of games, but he has flashes of brilliance. he is capable of that, but he's young and I have no doubt he'll be able to put it all together and do that consistently.

Absolutely. The part of Skips post I mostly disagreed with was where he said he's giving up on him. He has only been absent for a handful of games, but he has flashes of brilliance. he is capable of that, but he's young and I have no doubt he'll be able to put it all together and do that consistently.

I hope he does it because I tend to agree with Thomas that he seems conformed with what he's achieved so far. He's quite the simple, humble guy, sometimes it looks like he's happy with what happened so far and don't put that much effort on improving.

The only thing keeping him from getting better is he really wanting it with all his being. Mourinho hinted mind/will issues and I think it was directed at Oscar, as I think André is very ambitious, even if very less talented than Oscar.

I don't think Oscar's ceiling is as low as you, @OhForAGreavsie, I think he has a good ceiling, André on the other hand I think has a low ceiling, but he can be very dangerous when on form.

Thing is all our AMs with the exception of Eden (and Cesc when he plays as #10) are lacking now in the attack now, which sucks.

I hope he does it because I tend to agree with Thomas that he seems conformed with what he's achieved so far. He's quite the simple, humble guy, sometimes it looks like he's happy with what happened so far and don't put that much effort on improving.

The only thing keeping him from getting better is he really wanting it with all his being. Mourinho hinted mind/will issues and I think it was directed at Oscar, as I think André is very ambitious, even if very less talented than Oscar.

I don't think Oscar's ceiling is as low as you, @OhForAGreavsie, I think he has a good ceiling, André on the other hand I think has a low ceiling, but he can be very dangerous when on form.

Thing is all our AMs with the exception of Eden (and Cesc when he plays as #10) are lacking now in the attack now, which sucks.

Oscar ceiling would be a lot higher, if he would take a summer off and hit the weights...

I wouldn't say now @Barbara. In my opinion it's been clear since before Christmas 2013 that we need two AM upgrades. We can go around in circles but the bottom line is we will never be the team we want to be with any of Oscar/Schurrle/Willian as first choice players.

He just needs to be more consistent.

It's time he develops that consistency that has been missing.

Please don't all shout at once, but...

The notion of consistency is, in my opinion, much misunderstood. None of us, footballers and non-footballers alike, is consistent. We all have performance ups and downs from day to day, and from week to week. Talent is the regulator. People with enough ability for the work they do, can be effective even when they are below their best but others, like Oscar, need to be at, or very near, their top level to make a good contribution. The trouble is all players are somewhere below their best most of the time. That's a problem if you happen to be one of those who can really only contribute when at your best because it means you are not going to achieve whole lot much of the time.

When a player is said to be inconsistent as frequently as Oscar is, that's really just code for not good enough at this level.

Of course Oscar not being good enough is not our big problem. Our big problem is that he's still the best option we have for his position. That's the issue we need to address.

That is totally unfair. He's talented and it isn't a question of him improving or anything, he just needs to be more consistent. He hasn't been awful this season, I think he's done well. He isn't as talented as Eden or as good a playmaker as Cesc or as good defensively as Willian, but he does a lot of things well. If he can just show up more often he would be a solid long term player for us.

The problem is, Oscar should be more than just a 'solid long term player'. He should be our future with Eden. I've not given up on him because I don't believe he's going to be a solid player, I'm giving up on him because I don't think he has the potential to become one of the best players in the world anymore.

Sure, he's going to be a good player but nothing more. We should be aiming higher tbh.

Please don't all shout at once, but...

The notion of consistency is, in my opinion, much misunderstood. None of us, footballers and non-footballers alike, is consistent. We all have performance ups and downs from day to day, and from week to week. Talent is the regulator. People with enough ability for the work they do, can be effective even when they are below their best but others, like Oscar, need to be at, or very near, their top level to make a good contribution. The trouble is all players are somewhere below their best most of the time. That's a problem if you happen to be one of those who can really only contribute when at your best because it means you are not going to achieve whole lot much of the time.

When a player is said to be inconsistent as frequently as Oscar is, that's really just code for not good enough at this level.

Of course Oscar not being good enough is not our big problem. Our big problem is that he's still the best option we have for his position. That's the issue we need to address.

completely disagree with your notion of consistency and that Oscar isn't talented. To each their own.

Players at age 23 - regardless of their talent - aren't the most consistent lads around with few exceptions.

I think that's too harsh. Way too harsh.

completely disagree with your notion of consistency and that Oscar isn't talented. To each their own.

Players at age 23 - regardless of their talent - aren't the most consistent lads around with few exceptions.

I think that's too harsh. Way too harsh.

This. Most players don't hit their primes till mid to late twenties. With the exception of the very best, that's usually when it is. He has time.

Mourinho in a bad mood again. Just given Eva some grief for not diagnosing Oscar injury quickly enough. He plays on.

It seems Oscar left in HT due to concerns about his head...funny thing is, few people here even watched the game and are presuming he was poor because he left in HT.

Neil Ashton@neilashton_ 12h12 hours ago

Mourinho in a bad mood again. Just given Eva some grief for not diagnosing Oscar injury quickly enough. He plays on.

It seems Oscar left in HT due to concerns about his head...funny thing is, few people here even watched the game and are presuming he was poor because he left in HT.

I know a few that went to SB that weren't impressed by his performance at all, he was the worst player after Schurrle.

My point before doesn't really just extend to this game regardless.

I know a few that went to SB that weren't impressed by his performance at all, he was the worst player after Schurrle.

My point before doesn't really just extend to this game regardless.

I know I few who thinks Matic is our best player this season. Not sure it its wise to judge a player based in someone else opinion.

For me Oscar has always been a correct player. I'm not a big fan, but imo the difference is the results. If he scores a goal, then he played a superb match. If next game he plays the same football, no goals and the team gets a bad result, people will say he is inconsistent. For this is who Oscar is. He is not a player to win a match on his own.

I know I few who thinks Matic is our best player this season. Not sure it its wise to judge a player based in someone else opinion.

For me Oscar has always been a correct player. I'm not a big fan, but imo the difference is the results. If he scores a goal, then he played a superb match. If next game he plays the same football, no goals and the team gets a bad result, people will say he is inconsistent. For this is who Oscar is. He is not a player to win a match on his own.

everyone loves them stats, even though no one watched the game on tele.

someone posted the picture last page, but everyone ignored.

Neil Ashton@neilashton_ 12h12 hours ago

People who watched the match seem to think he was terrible though.

Just a few comments about Oscar's performance:

Was at the Bridge today. Zouma was the best player on the pitch. Just seemed in total control. Really is our best prospect.

The first half was abysmal. Mourinho was grilling Oscar by minute 20, and after he got barged onto the advertising boards, actually had to go up to him and drag him to his feet.

He was struggling to create, and was in weird positions all the time. He’s never been much of a creator, but at this rate, he’ll be benched for fabregas and we’ll play someone else beside matic.

Oscar 5- not as poor as Schürrle, but had large periods of seeming non-existent. I’m putting this down to him not being fully fit (?). Correctly taken off at half time though.

Either way, I hope it's not the beginning of Oscar's annual winter slump. If his form is poor, he should be benched.

We have options:

1) Hazard-Fabregas-Willian

2) Hazard-Fabregas/Willian-Ramires

3) Hazard-Fabregas/Willian-Remy

Or the good old 4-3-3.

Oscar's problem is that his talent ceiling is too low. A ten for a club with our ambition should be an outstanding play maker with great tactical awareness and work rate as necessary bolt-ons. He generally has the bolt-ons but there's nothing he can do about the low ceiling.

There are no Ozil/Oscar hybrids in football. It's the one or the other. Mourinho let Mata and De Bruyne go and kept Oscar, never buying any replacements. Some don't seem to want to accept it but it's obvious Mourinho doesn't want a typical #10. Maybe he'll change his mind though.

People who watched the match seem to think he was terrible though.

Just a few comments about Oscar's performance:

Either way, I hope it's not the beginning of Oscar's annual winter slump. If his form is poor, he should be benched.

We have options:

1) Hazard-Fabregas-Willian

2) Hazard-Fabregas/Willian-Ramires

3) Hazard-Fabregas/Willian-Remy

Or the good old 4-3-3.

In the past, I didn't think Hazard had the right level of tactical awareness and maturity to play in the middle. So many attacking players want to play in the middle nowadays, but not many are actually capable. But Hazard has shown quite a raise in his tactical awareness (his positioning and in his decision-making) this season imo. His dribbles have a lot more purpose as well. He's more direct towards goal, there's more at the end of it, instead of just getting past players a lot of times. And he's taking more and more responsibility. I'd like to see him in the middle, with Willian on the left and Oscar on the right, with the freedom to move around of course. But let Willian and Oscar provide width when needed and support the fullbacks when defending.

I doubt it will happen though.