Luke Shaw

Joker10

Pretty much this. The type of commitment to Shaw is a massive hit on the annual finances not just this year, but the next 3 years (the amortised transfer fee would reduce after he signed a new contract around this time) and if his wages start at £100k p/w as an 18 year old then what on Earth will he expect at 22?

If we went for someone like Filipe Luis then we're probably stronger as a team in the short-term. The reason many of us were so keen on Shaw was that LB seemed to be a position we weren't exactly stuffed with in the academy ranks. Now we seem to have a couple of really promising youngsters in Aina and Dasilva who are maybe 2-3 years away from consideration for the first team, whilst Ake has also been deployed at left-back this year.

It puts a £30 million (plus wages) gamble on an 18 year old into context, when we could get the left-back of the Spanish league Champions (and potentially the Champions League winners) for roughly HALF of that.

Unless the coach takes a gamble...all this talk of promising youngsters means nothing :cry:

If one of: Chalobah/Baker/Aké are part of the first team next season...then there's hope for the likes of Aina, DaSilva

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a few years time it's gonna get to the stage where we only have an aging Gary Cahill representing this 'english' club. Talents like Shaw don't come around everyday, spanish sides have that luxury.. but not us.

Shame he's off to United, would have been a great investment football-wise for the next 10 years and culturally. Fuck the board.

What the fuck your talking about?

We dodged the bullet with Shaw he is no way worth £30 million.

Rodriguez or Moreno are better than him anyway. I say the board did good not to get him we need a world class ST and CM.

In a few years time it's gonna get to the stage where we only have an aging Gary Cahill representing this 'english' club. Talents like Shaw don't come around everyday, spanish sides have that luxury.. but not us.

Shame he's off to United, would have been a great investment football-wise for the next 10 years and culturally. Fuck the board.

1. 30M for an 18 year old is astronomical.

2. There is absolutely nothing to say he's going to be huge other than people assuming.

3. Saying 'Fuck the board' is silly because contrary to popular belief the board are doing a fine job at Chelsea.

We dodged the bullet with Shaw he is no way worth £30 million.[/color

Rodriguez or Moreno are better than him anyway. I say the board did good not to get him we need a world class ST and CM.

Over 10 years he is, £30m is a bargain. Less headaches with the homegrown quota too, plus the Chelsea die hards/season ticket holders get to keep their english core.

In 2024, when he becomes a United legend like Rio after his mega money move from Leeds, we'll see what people think of that price tag.

We dodged the bullet with Shaw he is no way worth £30 million.

Over 10 years he is, £30m is a bargain. Less headaches with the homegrown quota too, plus the Chelsea die hards/season ticket holders get to keep their english core.

In 2024, when he becomes a United legend like Rio after his mega money move from Leeds, we'll see what people think of that price tag.

Indeed I agree with TX. United have spent this some of money on English talent twice, once on Rio an once on 18 yo Rooney.. It's very hard to argue that over the span of their United careers that wasn't a worthwhile investment.

Indeed I agree with TX. United have spent this some of money on English talent twice, once on Rio an once on 18 yo Rooney.. It's very hard to argue that over the span of their United careers that wasn't a worthwhile investment.

I think it's quite unfair comparing Shaw to Rio or Rooney.

If anything at this moment, Shaw would fall under the Phil Jones and Jordan Henderson of this world.

Has not shown enough to be in that bracket yet, IMHO.

English talent comes around once in a blue moon, you just have to roll the dice when it does. The board played it safe here, and it'll come back to bite.

I think it's quite unfair comparing Shaw to Rio or Rooney.

If anything at this moment, Shaw would fall under the Phil Jones and Jordan Henderson of this world.

Has not shown enough to be in that bracket yet, IMHO.

Has he not? He's been consistent over 2 seasons and he doesn't look like he's slowing down. Agree Rio was prominent longer before United moved on but Rooney wasn't.. I'd say in terms of impact Shaw and Rooney are on par with exposure and consistency.

English talent comes around once in a blue moon, you just have to roll the dice when it does. The board played it safe here, and it'll come back to bite.

What we saved in value for buying/trading for Ashley Cole we should invest in his heir to Chelsea's LB role. Shaw does justice to replacing Cole in the long term.

How good could Jay Dasilva be in your opinion?

Honestly don't have any hope of us bringing through any youths without them first proving themselves for at least two seasons at another 'competitive' club. Which is why I had a laugh at the homegrown rule thread, with people referencing Josh and co; suggesting we let them rot on the bench just to fulfil the quota.

Honestly don't have any hope of us bringing through any youths without them first proving themselves for at least two seasons at another 'competitive' club. Which is why I had a laugh at the homegrown rule thread, with people referencing Josh and co; suggesting we let them rot on the bench just to fulfil the quota.

That's a fair point, but the club have said they want to bring through their own youngsters...punting £30 million plus £100K wages (more than Terry, Cahill, Matic, Azpi and even Lamps are reported to be on) just doesn't fit our model.

Pretty much this. The type of commitment to Shaw is a massive hit on the annual finances not just this year, but the next 3 years (the amortised transfer fee would reduce after he signed a new contract around this time) and if his wages start at £100k p/w as an 18 year old then what on Earth will he expect at 22?

If we went for someone like Filipe Luis then we're probably stronger as a team in the short-term. The reason many of us were so keen on Shaw was that LB seemed to be a position we weren't exactly stuffed with in the academy ranks. Now we seem to have a couple of really promising youngsters in Aina and Dasilva who are maybe 2-3 years away from consideration for the first team, whilst Ake has also been deployed at left-back this year.

It puts a £30 million (plus wages) gamble on an 18 year old into context, when we could get the left-back of the Spanish league Champions (and potentially the Champions League winners) for roughly HALF of that.

I see what you're saying but why are you so hellbent on us signing a 30yr old? you have any idea how sharp the drop off can be at that age? Also for someone his age trying to come over and adjust to a new league isn't really the best idea. This only works if you still see Azpi as the 1st choice.

Can you tell me what he excels at?

I see what you're saying but why are you so hellbent on us signing a 30yr old? you have any idea how sharp the drop off can be at that age? Also for someone his age trying to come over and adjust to a new league isn't really the best idea. This only works if you still see Azpi as the 1st choice.

Luis? He'll be 29 and he's proven at the top level. I'd like to see us develop a few of the youngsters like Kalas and Zouma next season so we could do with a bit more experience whilst giving time to a few of the other young lads in the academy.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You