test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

BlueLion.

David Luiz

Started by BlueLion.,

8,522 posts in this topic

Personally, I'd like it if Luiz focussed on his performances first. He's been good in the last few weeks but it needs to be consistant.

I'm not a massive fans of people telling interviewers that they're natural leaders - I prefer if they just make it obvious on the pitch. I never needed John Terry to tell me he was a natural leader because it was clear to see.

Inspired peformance from luiz today, strong on the ball and VISION to pass foward. Almost a man of the match peformance.

I think most people in the back of their minds thought "Damn Luiz maybe should be in midfield?" and I was very excited, even against lower opposition, to see him start there! We all know he can ping a ball but I think it was fluid whilst he was in that position today.

Keeping in mind the opponent we were up against, I think he had a strictly okay game. Can't see where people are coming from with the 'great game' comments. Looked like an uncaged bird early on in the first half while picking out a couple of excellent forward passes (one that sent Hazard clear should have resulted in an assist, really) and seemed to enjoy the chance of getting forward more often. As one of the two in midfield, his defensive contributions didn't impress me that much. There were occasions when he lost his positional discipline, leaving Mikel susceptible and also ones where he didn't bother tracking back at all. 6/10 for me.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/name/espnfcunited/id/2240?cc=4716 ---> This is why Marcotti is a top journalist and one of the few worth following on twitter. An impassioned, balanced reading of the situations and the context surrounding it.

Good writeup, but people are mostly missing one important variable here: Brazil.

If David ends up playing regularly in the middle for Chelsea he'd very likely lose his starting stop for Brazil. In other words, he might hand in his transfer request if this is done one-sided: by chelsea alone. The way to go about this, if the intent is to *move* david into a DM role, is to include both David and Scolari in the decision making. If the idea is to have him as a DM cover, then it's all good as the flexibility would be very welcome by Scolari as well.

I know Chelsea wouldn't care about what Brazil want or need, but they could lose the player in teh process, especially with the WC coming in 2 years time and in Brazilian soil.

BTW, long ball passing is underrated around here. These passes naturally stretch the opponent, because it keeps their defense line in check at all times.

Good writeup, but people are mostly missing one important variable here: Brazil.

If David ends up playing regularly in the middle for Chelsea he'd very likely lose his starting stop for Brazil. In other words, he might hand in his transfer request if this is done one-sided: by chelsea alone. The way to go about this, if the intent is to *move* david into a DM role, is to include both David and Scolari in the decision making. If the idea is to have him as a DM cover, then it's all good as the flexibility would be very welcome by Scolari as well.

I know Chelsea wouldn't care about what Brazil want or need, but they could lose the player in teh process, especially with the WC coming in 2 years time and in Brazilian soil.

BTW, long ball passing is underrated around here. These passes naturally stretch the opponent, because it keeps their defense line in check at all times.

As things stand, does Scolari consider him first choice at CB?

Regarding the Brazil thing, first we should remember it's very, very early days. But I have three thoughts about it.

1. There's no reason a player can't play two positions in two sides.

2. If he actually moves there permanently for us, then he will obviously be doing well. In that case there's no reason he couldn't play that position for Brazil.

3. Fuck'em. We pay his wages so he'll play where we tell him. If he doesn't like that he can fuck off. :D

Marcotti has echoed most of my points though. Weak opposition and enough mistakes to hold off on making anything permanent, but also enough good things to try him again maybe not in the Final, but possibly against Leeds and then Villa (almost the ideal learning curve).

Regarding the Brazil thing, first we should remember it's very, very early days. But I have three thoughts about it.

1. There's no reason a player can't play two positions in two sides.

2. If he actually moves there permanently for us, then he will obviously be doing well. In that case there's no reason he couldn't play that position for Brazil.

3. Fuck'em. We pay his wages so he'll play where we tell him. If he doesn't like that he can fuck off. :D

Marcotti has echoed most of my points though. Weak opposition and enough mistakes to hold off on making anything permanent, but also enough good things to try him again maybe not in the Final, but possibly against Leeds and then Villa (almost the ideal learning curve).

I can relate as I don't like the way the football federations use and abuse players and their clubs, in the name of their respective countries (it's really about money though).

However, like I said, if Luiz isn't OK with the change, and the change is of the permanent kind, he may just hand in his transfer request. Many thought he would be fine as a right-back and he pretty much said 'no' and that was the end of it. The reason he said no was because Brazil had Dani Alves and Maicon for right-back.

The writeup also points out one of the key limitations of our current DMs, something we've missed on the Mickel thread: long balls.

madmax, yes, David has been a starter for Brazil and doing a great job as a defender playing alongside Thiago Silva. Thiago is more composed and David aggressive, which makes them an interesting pair (akin to David Terry IMO). Scolari has not yet called up the players, but it is to be expected David and Silva pairing will be maintained.

I thought he was average, but he did decent for his first start there. I'd like to see him there a few more times.

I thought he was MUCH better than average . Would certainly see him as an option there when JT is back

I thought he was MUCH better than average . Would certainly see him as an option there when JT is back

Granted I was watching very groggily...it was 5:30 AM here when the match started. :lol:

zolayes likes this

I thought he was average, but he did decent for his first start there. I'd like to see him there a few more times.

I thought he was better than average but...my worry with him in midfield is positioning (the same problems he has at defence) and while I think he's fine in the midfield for teams like Leeds and Norwich and so on, do you want him marking players like Silva or Cazorla or Rooney? His lack of positional awareness/tendency to fall asleep will be a problem anywhere he plays.