David Luiz

the wes

Can't help but to feel somewhat pleased that Luiz actually managed to score from that free kick. It has been awhile since one went in!

And really nice gesture from him to console Rodriguez at the end. As many have said, you can fault his defending but not his character and personality.

Take away his free kick today and he was still brilliant defensively tonight. Get over it, Luiz can be a brilliant defender as he shown tonight and as he showed on occasion at CFC.

His positioning for when James slipped in Bacca (I think) to win the penalty was very, very bad though, if he had been in a better starting position, he would have cut it out easily and they wouldn't have conceded a penalty. He had a good game but he always has one or two moments where he gives you a chance to get a opportunity like the game against Croatia, he let Jelavic get in front of him, touch the ball (although it wasn't going in) before Marcelo put the ball in his own net as well.

I don't think a great freekick goal can make everyone say he had a 'brilliant game' because the fact they conceded the penalty was partly his fault due to his positioning, although he did have a good game I suppose other than that but wouldn't say brilliant.

His positioning for when James slipped in Bacca (I think) to win the penalty was very, very bad though, if he had been in a better starting position, he would have cut it out easily and they wouldn't have conceded a penalty. He had a good game but he always has one or two moments where he gives you a chance to get a opportunity like the game against Croatia, he let Jelavic get in front of him, touch the ball (although it wasn't going in) before Marcelo put the ball in his own net as well.

I don't think a great freekick goal can make everyone say he had a 'brilliant game' because the fact they conceded the penalty was partly his fault due to his positioning, although he did have a good game I suppose other than that but wouldn't say brilliant.

Jesus Christ. He won a tackle on a challenge on Bacca, the ball luckily bounced to James feet and he played a beautiful pass to Bacca before he could recover. That goal had nothing to do with his positioning, it was due to pure luck and James' brilliance.

He's a quality defender. End of.

Jesus Christ. He won a tackle on a challenge on Bacca, the ball luckily bounced to James feet and he played a beautiful pass to Bacca before he could recover. That goal had nothing to do with his positioning, it was due to pure luck and James' brilliance.

He's a quality defender. End of.

Did he win the tackle? I thought it was Thiago Silva, if not my bad.

Take away his free kick today and he was still brilliant defensively tonight. Get over it, Luiz can be a brilliant defender as he shown tonight and as he showed on occasion at CFC.

Luiz is a very good defender. I don't like conspiracy theories, but in the beginning of the last season Mourinho said Luiz and Terry were his first choice CBs. I remember those kind of thing:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2466358/Jose-Mourinho-Gary-Cahills-John-Terry-David-Luiz-Chelsea.html

Mourinho had to answer questions about how Cahill lack of first team football would an issue for England NT.

I remember after Luiz mistake in the match against Everton. In some tv show the guys were discussing Luiz lack of defensive discipline for about 10 minutes, he was basically pictured as the man who let the team down and lost the match for Chelsea. Then, there was that infamous Newcastle game:

Just watch those two goals and see if they are Luis fault. After that match this topic was flooded by Luiz bashing, and the press was full of "Mourinho is making a mistake choosing Mourinho in favor of Cahill".

As Cahill became a starting XI for England NT, british press tried everything to show everyone he was a world class defender, and the natural choice to be Chelsea starting XI: just imagine England going to WC with a CB that is a squad player for his club.

The irony it that In the WC, England left the tournament after silly and amateurish mistakes from Cahill and Jagielka in the first two matches, while Luiz is easily one of the best player of the tournament. The difference in size between Luiz and those CB's is immense.

Seeing him console James today was really great for me, it shows the human side of these so called rich football stars. He is a top top guy outside the field and as shown today, he can be relied on at the back and shows passion for the game. I will miss him for sure.

This is why teams are willing to pay 30-40m for him even though he is shit at defending.

Then they are not very smart. You could get a technically gifted, set piece expert for less than that who would offer far more value for money in that regard

I mean how many defenders in the world are capable of moments like that?

Considering his awful conversion ratio and the sheer amount of free kick he attempts, my guess would be quite a lot. A broken clock is accurate twice a day and if you throw enough shit at the wall, one is bound to stick.