David Luiz

the wes

Chelsea are keeping tabs on Benfica's talented trio Angel Di Maria, David Luiz and Fabio Coentrao.

Sporting Director Frank Arnesen watched Benfica's 4-0 Europa League romp against Vorskla Poltava.

Argentine midfielder Di Maria, 21, has recently broken into his national side.

Brazilian defender Luiz, 22, and Portuguese winger Coentrao, 21, have also caught the eye.

Arnesen said: "We are always looking for good players."

TheSun

According to a report in Record, Chelsea are keeping tabs on Benfica's Brazilian Under-20 international, David Luiz.

Theyoung centre-back, who can also operate on the left side of thedefence, has been with Benfica since 2007 and his displays have caughtthe eye of many of Europe's big clubs.

Chelsea have now addedtheir name to the 22-year-old's list of suitors, who also includeBarcelona, Tottenham Hotspur and Fiorentina.

It is understoodthe West London club will check on the defender on a regular basisduring the course of the season and weigh up the merits of a move nextsummer.

David Luiz has a valid contract with Benfica until 2013 and a buy-out clause of €50 million.

Goal.com

• 9 months later...

According to The Times this morning, Chelsea have offered £10million for Brazilian centre-back David Luiz .

The 23-year-old has been at Portugese giants Benfica his entire career and was particularly impressive last season as Benfica won the Portugese title. Luiz is renowned as an intelligent, quick and strong defender and is also reportedly wanted by both Real Madrid and Manchester City .

Benfica are reluctant to let Luiz leave for anything less than the £40million release clause in his contract as they prepare for a Champions League campaign and look to try to hold on to other stars such as Oscar Cardozo and Angel Di Maria. Chelsea's bid is likely to be way below the price that Benfica would even consider.

Manchester City reportedly had a bid turned down for Luiz earlier this year, before Roberto Mancini persuaded Jerome Boateng to sign at Eastlands.

Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti appears keen to add to his defensive options, given the age of some of his regular defenders. Ricardo Carvalho is 32-years-old with John Terry almost 30 and Alex only a year younger. Ancelotti will hope that Luiz might provide some long-term stability to the Stamford Bridge defence.

--------------------------------------------

Source:- IM Scouting

-------------------------------------------

Decent defender, but to be truthfully honest, I'd rather see us sign Simon Kjaer

Edited by CJ Revo

You know I think a young-ish centre back wouldn't be THAT bad an addition. Think about it, Ivanovic we have yes, but Terry and Carvalho are getting on a bit, Bruma is very good but very young still, a 23 year old has 5 years on him, so an ivanovic luiz partnership could be the successors to terry carvalho.

We won't be signing a centre back

I wouldn't put your money on that statement, if we're going for a defender of any sort we need someone who's going to be the shadow for Carvalho, who's 32. Terry isn't getting any older either so a decent defender would be a good idea.

I would however, prefer Simon Kjaer over Luiz.

I wouldn't put your money on that statement, if we're going for a defender of any sort we need someone who's going to be the shadow for Carvalho, who's 32. Terry isn't getting any older either so a decent defender would be a good idea.

Terry isnt peter pan ....HE IS GETTING OLDER

Dont need defenders, even if Carvalho and Ferreira leave we still dont need defenders, we have Mancienne, Bruma, Hutchinson and Van Aanhalt plus Bosingwa coming back to add to Terry, Alex, Ivanovic, Ashley and Zhirkov. I think our defence was a bit leaky last season only because I dont think our midfield was as strong, I would rather we sign one or two quality midfielders and a Right Sided attacking player and we will be unstoppable, (Aguero, ozil and Schweinsteiger would be my choices alternatively Silva, Van Der Vaart and Yaya Toure or Javi Martinez

For a defender to sit behind Terry, Alex and Ivanovic we have Bruma, Hutchinson, Mancienne, Rajkovic......... and thats assuming we let Carvalho go, if we keep Carvalho then even less need to sign a centre back