Spike

1 minute ago, manpe said:

You misunderstood. When I said "public racists", I meant exactly a situation where there would be a target and others are witnessing it. In this case I was thinking more of a situation in a football match where a black player would be thrown by banana peels and yelled at with disgusting insults. And by "fair treatment" I didn't necessarily mean a fight, but anything that would be done to shut him/them up.

I see. Regardless, I was curious of an environment where there are no people around to be targeted. Would it elicit the same reaction? Or would people carry on their lives? 

12 minutes ago, Spike said:

What was bullshit was inferring that it was my personal opinion when it never had anything to do with me. I was asking someone else if it was the social norm in their culture. What does that have to do with me FB? You want to know my personal opinion? I think it doesn't matter. You know why it doesn't matter? Because no-one has been hurt. Do I give a fuck if some black guy rants to his family about hating me because I'm white? No. Do I give a fuck if that person hurts someone, yes I do. Would I want to associate with people that hate people based on their skin? No, I wouldn't because that doesn't align with my beliefs but I'm not arrogant enough to believe that I have the right to be the moral arbiter and lecture them on race relations if they are unwilling to engage in discourse. I'd leave that to the authorities or any organisation that aims to reduce racism.

And you know what FB? I'm not guilty for not answering a question and me not answering that question doesn't justify the assumption. You can take your weightless, evidenceless accusations of racism and sod off. Sick of it.

So you think its ok to be racist to black people if theyre not there because ''no one has been hurt''  Well I don't, and pretty sure everyone at Chelsea FC feels the same

Just now, Spike said:

I see. Regardless, I was curious of an environment where there are no people around to be targeted. Would it elicit the same reaction? Or would people carry on their lives? 

They would carry on their lives. Two blokes on the street making nigger jokes to each other? It's normal, nobody gives a shit. But it also depends on the situation, for example somebody spewing racist shit could lead to an argument, and depending on the consumed alcohol levels it could lead to a fight :D So who knows what the reaction would be? Depends on how annoying and ignorant the racist is I guess.

PS I see you had some sort of argument with FB over this. I'll try to read it back.

3 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

So you think its ok to be racist to black people if theyre not there because ''no one has been hurt''  Well I don't, and pretty sure everyone at Chelsea FC feels the same

Where did I say that it's okay? You still haven't shown me. I didn't realise that 'it doesn't matter' is equable to 'it's okay and socially acceptable'. Really mate, you are stretching so far you might tear a muscle.

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Where did I say that it's okay? You still haven't shown me. I didn't realise that 'it doesn't matter' is equable to 'it's okay and socially acceptable'. Really mate, you are stretching so far you might tear a muscle.

23 minutes ago, Spike said:

You want to know my personal opinion? I think it doesn't matter. You know why it doesn't matter? Because no-one has been hurt.

Backtrack any more and you'll fall off a cliff :D

3 minutes ago, manpe said:

They would carry on their lives. Two blokes on the street making nigger jokes to each other? It's normal, nobody gives a shit. But it also depends on the situation, for example somebody spewing racist shit could lead to an argument, and depending on the consumed alcohol levels it could lead to a fight :D So who knows what the reaction would be? Depends on how annoying and ignorant the racist is I guess.

PS I see you had some sort of argument with FB over this. I'll try to read it back.

I see. I think a lot of people would react the same way in the States but it has much stronger chance of causing arguments. For instance if two Asian men are making nigger jokes amongst themselves while a white man is walking past, there is a good chance that he'd just keep walking and pay no mind; it's not worth starting a ruckus over. Although there is a much, much, much higher chance that he could be married to a black American and I feel that would tread over into personal feelings and create an incident. Also I find that true racism comes out in a far more subtle manner outside of obvious racial demonstrations.

6 minutes ago, Spike said:

Where did I say that it's okay? You still haven't shown me.

You know Spike, I'm quite high at the moment so I cba to read back your long ass posts with FB. Is there anything I can do to settle your differences?

3 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Backtrack any more and you'll fall off a cliff :D

I struggle to see how 'it doesn't matter' is equable to 'it's okay'. I think it's a non-issue if someone says something offensive and there is no one around to take offence. Is 

3 minutes ago, manpe said:

You know Spike, I'm quite high at the moment so I cba to read back your long ass posts with FB. Is there anything I can do to settle your differences?

It's semantics. He is allowed to, but he thinks my apathy towards the issue is equable to acceptance. I just don't think someone should be punished for saying something that hasn't hurt anyone.

9 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Right, so your answer to '' Is it alright to be racist to black people if they aren't there ?'' is ''It doesn't matter''

Yes. Yet you seem to think that is equable to acceptance.I do not accept it but I also don't believe it matters. You also didn't answer my question, you know?  Does it affect you when a Congolese man laments how much he hates white people? Is that scenario okay? No, any scenario with the races changed or switched isn't but does it matter? No, it doesn't matter because no is harmed. It's a microcosm of racism that is the least of our concerns when there are people getting their heads caved in with rocks because of their ethnicity. The guy that makes a racist remark yet does nothing to harm anyone is the least of my concerns when actual  violent racism happens in the world. 

It's a worry precedent but is all it is. Until they actively assault or harm another human they can't be arrested for a thought crime, can they?

17 minutes ago, Spike said:

I struggle to see how 'it doesn't matter' is equable to 'it's okay'. I think it's a non-issue if someone says something offensive and there is no one around to take offence. Is 

14 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Right, so your answer to '' Is it alright to be racist to black people if they aren't there ?'' is ''It doesn't matter''

You both are right in my mind. On one hand it is wrong to be racist, period. If there is anybody around or there isn't, morally it is wrong regardless. Do I think it is also a non-issue if a racist is venting him/herself in an environment where he/she (pc ftw) can't harm the subject of his/her ignorance? Yes I do. Real racism is not a non-issue; an isolated incident with a thick bastard giving hate speech is an issue only for him/her.

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Yes. Yet you seem to think that is equable to acceptance. You also didn't answer my question, you know?  Does it affect you when a Congolese man laments how much he hates white people? Is that scenario okay? No, any scenario with the races changed or switched isn't but does it matter? No, it doesn't matter because no is harmed. It's a microcosm of racism that is the least of our concerns when there are people getting their heads caved in with rocks because of their ethnicity. The guy that makes a racist remark yet does nothing to harm anyone is the least of my concerns when actual  violent racism happens in the world. 

It's a worry precedent but is all it is. Until they actively assault or harm another human they can't be arrested for a thought crime, can they?

The holocaust didn't just happen, it was planned with no jews around to hear, white cops in the US don't just shoot black people with no previous discourse. Ingrained racist views lead to actions. Therefore to me it is wrong , and does matter.

2 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

The holocaust didn't just happen, it was planned with no jews around to hear, white cops in the US don't just shoot black people with no previous discourse. Ingrained racist views lead to actions. Therefore to me it is wrong , and does matter.

That is different. That is planning to murder people on a government level and US cops are just insane full stop. They murder everyone. I don't think all ingrained racist views do lead to actions; a lot more is said that is done. Also if you do re-read my posts (as you've seemingly missed those tidbits) you'd notice that I've more than once advocated for involvement of the higher authorities and organisations at stamping out racism.

1 minute ago, Spike said:

That is different. That is planning to murder people on a government level and US cops are just insane full stop. They murder everyone. I don't think all ingrained racist views do lead to actions; a lot more is said that is done. Also if you do re-read my posts (as you've seemingly missed those tidbits) you'd notice that I've more than once advocated for involvement of the higher authorities and organisations at stamping out racism.

Not all racist views lead to actions, but every racist action has sprung from racist views. So again, to me it does matter.