Gary Cahill

LDN Blue

Why buy? Zouma, Ivanovic to CB......these are just some of solutions without buying all the time.

Even then we still need cover. Since Ivanovic doubles as a right back now, we'll need an additional centre back. Christensen isn't quite ready yet.. A cheap squad player wouldn't be the worst idea?

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is this bullshit everyone wants Cahill off all suddenly?

Yes he isnt world class CB, he never was and currently in not best form, but he always put good performance when needed.

Also Zouma in better form after two games and better CB? I like the kid, think he will be top defender eventualy, but right now how can people say he is in superb form after two games? When he will play 5 consecutive games and against top opponents for whole 90mins, I will make judgement how good he is already and in what form he is...but not after 2 games ffs. He showed glimpses, but that is with every young player when given chance. Im all for giving Zouma chance now that Cahill isnt in best shape, but to say that Zouma is in better form is ridiculous. Everyone is jumping on Zouma bandwagon after Cahill mistakes, but when Zouma gets run of games, he could make plenty of mistakes and that wont be good for development. Put him slowly in games and eventualy he will break through. Varane needed one season too to get ahead of Pepe who was shit back then, but then got better. Cahill can still make improvement, there is reason why Mou plays him for two seasons...

Anyway, Im glad Mou makes these decisions and not some people here who repeat themselves like broken record due to their personal disliking of Cahill, just waiting him to make mistake, so that they can write how right they were...

Yeah its just the way it is.

People say such and such saying player X is great or a very good dependable CB then 2 games after player X is the worst thing out and should be replaced by player Y because 'he's in better form' although player Y has only started maybe 5 times for club Z in lesser games.

I said it before and I'll say it again, Gay Cahill will never be a world class or anything close to it. People need to stop thinking he can be, John Terry and Rio Ferdinand have been the only world class English CBs in the last 10 years and that speaks volumes not only about Gary Cahill but the quality of English CBs in those 10 years.

I'd still rather have a solid and reliable Gary Cahill ahead of most other center backs in the premier league except for Laurent Koscielny who in my eyes is up there with JT as the best in the league. Don't see how Kompany is regarded as the best when there was moments last season where Martin Demichelis was outperforming him.

Yeah its just the way it is.

People say such and such saying player X is great or a very good dependable CB then 2 games after player X is the worst thing out and should be replaced by player Y because 'he's in better form' although player Y has only started maybe 5 times for club Z in lesser games.

I said it before and I'll say it again, Gay Cahill will never be a world class or anything close to it. People need to stop thinking he can be, John Terry and Rio Ferdinand have been the only world class English CBs in the last 10 years and that speaks volumes not only about Gary Cahill but the quality of English CBs in those 10 years.

I'd still rather have a solid and reliable Gary Cahill ahead of most other center backs in the premier league except for Laurent Koscielny who in my eyes is up there with JT as the best in the league. Don't see how Kompany is regarded as the best when there was moments last season where Martin Demichelis was outperforming him.

Aye, agreed with you there mate. Gazza is bang on average. A very solid performer that looks amazing when paired with someone that brings out the best in him, someone like JT. He isn't a leader like some think he is, he does not in anyway play like JT, he isn't rubbish like others say, he is a good CB that puts in solid performances most weeks. Kompany is wank and Demichelis is either 10/10 or 1/10.

And why do people want Ivan as a CB? He hasn't played as a CB regularly for most of his career. Besides the bastard attacks more than bloody Dani Alves.

Aye, agreed with you there mate. Gazza is bang on average. A very solid performer that looks amazing when paired with someone that brings out the best in him, someone like JT. He isn't a leader like some think he is, he does not in anyway play like JT, he isn't rubbish like others say, he is a good CB that puts in solid performances most weeks. Kompany is wank and Demichelis is either 10/10 or 1/10.

Kompany being world class is a myth to me man.

I mean some of the shit Demichelis was being blamed for last season was his fault but some of the goals they conceded trying to play an offside trap, everyone except Kompany at times where stepping up and playing the same line, or the back 4 was in a decent line and he was stepping up and trying to intercept it (ironically enough like David Luiz at times) exposing his partner.

Its a funny world, players like Demichelis were being made out to be a weak link playing next to Kompany but when Kompany was out of the team injured like the game against Norwich in particular, Demichelis was exceptional and he was marshalling the back 4 and they successfully caught the Norwich striker offside so many times by all being in sync and stepping up when he did.

Not saying Demichelis is great but he's hardly shite, although I did say last season I thought he looked pretty awful numerous times.

Kompany being world class is a myth to me man.

I mean some of the shit Demichelis was being blamed for last season was his fault but some of the goals they conceded trying to play an offside trap, everyone except Kompany at times where stepping up and playing the same line, or the back 4 was in a decent line and he was stepping up and trying to intercept it (ironically enough like David Luiz at times) exposing his partner.

Its a funny world, players like Demichelis were being made out to be a weak link playing next to Kompany but when Kompany was out of the team injured like the game against Norwich in particular, Demichelis was exceptional and he was marshalling the back 4 and they successfully caught the Norwich striker offside so many times by all being in sync and stepping up when he did.

Not saying Demichelis is great but he's hardly shite, although I did say last season I thought he looked pretty awful numerous times.

That's the irony of defending... better defenders want to play and their coaches want them to play because they know how. On the other hand, when they do play they will naturally expose the defense and it's up to their teammates and coach to address that - either you live with that or you don't.

I still think Kompany is world class though as he can be dominant in a low or high block.

Well I don't see the problem then. If player Y is in better form than player X, you're quite rightly going to play the former. And that's not even happening here, people have been very vocal in the last 12-months regarding Cahill's flaws & it's only now they're so highlighted that more people have realised the issue.

That's the irony of defending... better defenders want to play and their coaches want them to play because they know how. On the other hand, when they do play they will naturally expose the defense and it's up to their teammates and coach to address that - either you live with that or you don't.

I still think Kompany is world class though as he can be dominant in a low or high block.

I don't know about that one. You must mean bad/average and unintelligent defenders who believe the hype of their own technical ability too much like Luiz. better/world class defenders by their very nature make fewer mistakes, organise their defence and make their defensive partners better and this applies to even the most technically gifted ones. The ones you described are just bad defenders. If your team mates and managers have to adjust to your game and move mountains to cover up for your defeciencies then you are not reall a good defender.

Some of the greatest defenders of all time were naturally skilled footballers actually and there ability to be ball playing defender has never come at the expense of the team.

I don't know about that one. You must mean players who believe the hype of their own technical ability too much like Luiz. better/world class defenders by their very nature make fewer mistakes, organise their defence and make their defensive partners better and this applies to even the most technically gifted ones. The ones you described are just bad defenders. If your team mates and managers have to adjust to your game and move mountains to cover up for your defeciencies then you are not reall a good defender.

Some of the greatest defenders of all time were naturally skilled footballers actually and there ability to be ball playing defender has never come at the expense of the team.

not talking about Luiz specifically as he's indeed on the quirky side. As we are about to face him, I catch myself wishing he doesn't play in midfield which is very telling.

The cover I speak of should be especially easy for teams, like us, who play with a CB in the RB position.... When the CB moves up, the RB becomes the CB. Most Brazilian teams, who employ attacking FB use the CDM for that cover, which is something I dislike these days.

If the player has the quality to play well, it's natural he will be given the freedom to do so. Hummels (Ramos too) makes a lot of mistakes because he joins the middle and attack very often, which leaves himself and his teammates exposed and yet he's one of the better defenders out there - of a particular style and characteristic.

Solid defender not necessarily the same as great defender.

Perhaps your point is that a great defender must be solid, but I'd counter that by saying that he can be solid when instructed to stay put. However, whenever necessary, the coach *will* employ/unleash him as an attacking weapon (if he is capable), and in such cases (e.g. chasing a result or as a sneaky move) he *will* leave the back line exposed - something's gotta give.

Better from Cahill. As said before, when he concentrates he's good.. Needs to do that more.

it was much better set up for him. 2 holders and only really needed to make blocks and headers.

no-one running at him

it was much better set up for him. 2 holders and only really needed to make blocks and headers.

no-one running at him

Yeah but he held his composure to deal with it, that's what I mean. No mistakes, which is better than he's done thus far.