test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Hamilton

Non-Chelsea Transfer Pub

Started by Hamilton,

https://theathletic.com/2070370/2020/09/18/thiago-joins-liverpool-how-the-deal-happened/?source=user_shared_article

Summary:

"Thiago Alcantara was close to signing a lucrative new four-year contract with Bayern Munich in June, worth around £12 million per year (£230,000 per week), when his head was turned.

A source with experience of working with Thiago says: “He is a top guy and one of the most professional players in this world. As for Liverpool, it’s a dream come true for him. The dream for him for years has been the Premier League."

A four-year deal worth around £200,000 per week was already in place by Thursday. His favoured No 6 shirt was conveniently vacant following Dejan Lovren’s move to Zenit St Petersburg in July.

Klopp had secured the services of a man he regards as “a game-changer”. The manager had pushed hard for the deal to get done and ultimately FSG president Mike Gordon and Edwards delivered.

The breakdown of the fee is extraordinary given the calibre of the player Liverpool have signed. They will pay a guaranteed £20 million with the rest to potentially follow in add-ons related to team success and individual awards. However, The Athletic understands that £20 million will be spread over the course of Thiago’s contract, with an initial outlay of just £5 million. Put into context, Edwards sold striker Dominic Solanke to Bournemouth for £19 million last year.

Thiago had also been linked with Manchester United this summer but although they held discussions with his representatives there were no direct talks with Bayern.

He had been pursued by both Arsenal and Chelsea in recent years, too. Bayern put feelers out to those two clubs once again in the hope of creating a bidding war with Liverpool, but it never developed. Sources indicate that other potential suitors were quoted salary demands of £17 million a year (£327,000 per week). Barcelona did consider re-signing him, but swapping Arthur for Juventus’ Miralem Pjanic was deemed a more sensible financial decision."

Seems weird how Liverpool did fuck all for ages and are now going guns blazing after the season has started

The Liverpool move for Jota is interesting. It just goes to show that they do have money to spend.

Perhaps they were willing to hold out until later in the window to secure the best deals and prices possible and maybe there was some complacency with Werner because Liverpool probably thought they were the only team realistically in the running for him.

From what I've read regarding Werner, Klopp tried to convince him to stay in Leipzig and they would make a move for him eventually, he just couldn't guarantee when.

Judging from his comments recently and the obvious bit of needle between him and Lampard, I think what we've done this summer has rattled him a bit. Particularly the signings of Werner and Havertz, two young Germans who have been linked with moves to Liverpool.

When there's barely a few million, if not less, between the price tags of Jota and Werner, I know which one I'd prefer and it's the one wearing blue.

kellzfresh, Atomiswave, DDA and 1 other like this

10 minutes ago, Hutcho said:

Seems weird how Liverpool did fuck all for ages and are now going guns blazing after the season has started

What pisses me off is how the cheating scouse gits can plead poverty due to Covid yet buying players.

Leeds are following Manu Kone from Toulouse and started discussions with the midfielder's entourage. Bielsa must now position himself on this track. Milan are also interested as are several English clubs.

42 minutes ago, Blues Forever said:

Koeman has told Riqui Puig that he doesn't count on him and should look for a way out.

that is very surprising, he looked great in the couple games I saw him in

Stats and killer1257 like this

Just now, Vesper said:

that is very surprising, he looked the great in the couple games I saw him in

Yes, Barca fans are having a meltdown now :D

Vesper likes this

23 hours ago, Valdo said:

Werner really did reject the scousers didn't he :cig:

I always believed, and said, that the story about Liverpool being unable to afford Werner was a nonsensical fabrication. Their actions in the market today, along with rumours of further spending to come, seems to end that debate. If they had really wanted him they'd have made Timo an acceptable offer and reached an agreement with Leipzig. Clearly they did not want him enough and that's our gain.

10 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I always believed, and said, that the story about Liverpool being unable to afford Werner was a nonsensical fabrication. Their actions in the market today, along with rumours of further spending to come, seems to end that debate. If they had really wanted him they'd have made Timo an acceptable offer and reached an agreement with Leipzig. Clearly they did not want him enough and that's our gain.

He said he chose us over them.