test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

BlueLion.

Juan Mata

Started by BlueLion.,

10,768 posts in this topic

Rumours that Chelsea will give Mata time off after the Olympics and as a result he won't likely be available until September.

I read somewhere he has played 2008/09 season wiv valencia, confederations cup with spain, 2009/10 season with valencia, world cup with spain, 2010/11 season with valencia, U21 championships with spain, 2011/12 season with chelsea, euros with spain and now olympics. It means he hasn't had a proper summer break since 2008!

The most important thing is for Mata to continue fresh and injury free because a firing Mata will give Hazard the chance to adapt without as much pressure on.

http://www.eplindex.com/16315/david-silva-vs-juan-mata-opta-stats-11-12.html

A very good stat comparison between Mata and Silva.

Backs up my opinion which is that silva is currently a slightly better player but mata had a stronger first season in the prem than silva. Hopefully mata will go from strength to strength next season, especially with more technically sound players around him and put this argument to bed before it becomes the spanish gerrard/lampard debate!

Silva is more calm on the ball, plays one dimensional football and can tackle bit better, while Mata is younger and will get that calm passing and decision making, but he is already better dribbler and has ways to outrun opponent. I think they could be compared like Xavi and Iniesta. Both are unique and needed, but Silva suits Xavi more since all he does is more certain, while Mata (Iniesta) has faster play and more unpredictable. In the end, Silva is experienced player and has probably more stamina than Mata right now, maybe more balance, but Mata is two years younger and by age 26, he will get all what Silva has.

But I agree, we shouldnt overhype him too much, he had fantastic season and I think next will be statisticaly less impressive, but his play will evolve into more responsible, more balanced. Having Hazard, Marin, (Oscar?), (Hulk?) along him, his play will be splitted

between them and he will have more time to focus on game-dicatating. Player that just has

something more inside than Hazard or Hulk. The spark, that truly reminds on that one of Zola.

Silva at the moment is the best hands down.

But Mata has the potential to become better because of his mentality.

Silva mentality, is like...meh whatever.

Mata is more drive, passion, and heart. This usually helps takes a player to the next lvl if he has the skill.

BTW Mata in a couple of years I will put him in the Lampard type. Those players that become big when the going gets tough.

For years we had our generals in Drogba, Lampard, Terry, Ballack, Cech and such.

Now we are building a new backbone of Mata, David Luiz, Ramires, Cahill and such.

So after a great 7 to 8 years with the old guard, a new one is emerging and like Drogba said after winning the CL that he wanted to show the new players what it is to be a Chelsea player. Never give in, and fight till the end. That before him other players showed him the way like Terry, and now they where doing the same with these new younger players.

What was the only problem (or advantage on other side) with our old guard was that they were brought not realy young Anelka, Ballack, Malouda, Drogba all arrived when they were 26yrs plus. Lampard came at young age, or Cech, but there are many players, we couldnt use for more years, like Beletti, Deco, Sheva,...

This having Hazard, Marin, Oscar, Luiz,...is new generation that is created with different intentions. Sure ending point is winning trophies, but old guard, Mourinho team or whatever is called was brought together to win PL and after it, CL. It didnt matter how, just win it in shortest possible time. This generation is made of great talents; it will be required longer time for them to win anything. The point is not win CL anymore, but play nice football, one that soon everyone will love. And with such style, trophies will arrive in few years. When Mata will be 26, we already might be one of teams with beautifulest and dominating football, while Drogba just arrived at age 26. Imagine how much could then Mata, Hazard, Oscar, Luiz, Cahill,...achieve. Certainly project worth a lot of attention.

What was the only problem (or advantage on other side) with our old guard was that they were brought not realy young Anelka, Ballack, Malouda, Drogba all arrived when they were 26yrs plus. Lampard came at young age, or Cech, but there are many players, we couldnt use for more years, like Beletti, Deco, Sheva,...

This having Hazard, Marin, Oscar, Luiz,...is new generation that is created with different intentions. Sure ending point is winning trophies, but old guard, Mourinho team or whatever is called was brought together to win PL and after it, CL. It didnt matter how, just win it in shortest possible time. This generation is made of great talents; it will be required longer time for them to win anything. The point is not win CL anymore, but play nice football, one that soon everyone will love. And with such style, trophies will arrive in few years. When Mata will be 26, we already might be one of teams with beautifulest and dominating football, while Drogba just arrived at age 26. Imagine how much could then Mata, Hazard, Oscar, Luiz, Cahill,...achieve. Certainly project worth a lot of attention.

Which is why I think Sturridge and Lukaku are more important then Torres. Torres comes too late.

By the time it is the hour for Torres to leave, these two should be ready to step up.

I don't know why, but I always envision a Sturridge - Lukaku partnership like the old partnership of Hasselbaink - Gudjohnsen

Which is why I think Sturridge and Lukaku are more important then Torres. Torres comes too late.

By the time it is the hour for Torres to leave, these two should be ready to step up.

I don't know why, but I always envision a Sturridge - Lukaku partnership like the old partnership of Hasselbaink - Gudjohnsen

Haha,,same here. More so because I don't think Sturridge will ever succeed here as a lone striker.

AND CAN I GET AN AMEN!!

No signing can overshadow what Mata did for us last season.I am really glad we have and hope he stays here forever.

Nah. Not sure about that. Mata did great for a first season in English football. However, the latter stages of the season showed, he is by far no lamps, as he got missing in the big games. that was due to our defensive style but also because he is not the athlete he should be as an EPL-player. I was standing KO as he fucked up another penalty in the shoot-out in Munich and delivered nothing against Barcelona. Dont get me wrong he is a great player and will improve to become one of the best in the world but he is just no yet what he is hyped to be. His right foot is a joke and he is slow as a tractor, i swear I would beat him over any of 35, 50, 75, 100 or 200m distances. He aint got the acceleration of a real athlete and any defender he has outplayed with his sublime skills will catch up with him a sec later.

For those reasons, there's no way he'll become a Silva or an Iniesta, he'll probably never score a slalom-dribbling solo golazo. On the other hand he is a better crosser and long range shooter than both, so he should rely on those to impose himself on a game. Yeah, and maybe spent some hours in the gym and have a decent meal or two...

CHOULO19 likes this

Nah. Not sure about that. Mata did great for a first season in English football. However, the latter stages of the season showed, he is by far no lamps, as he got missing in the big games. that was due to our defensive style but also because he is not the athlete he should be as an EPL-player. I was standing KO as he fucked up another penalty in the shoot-out in Munich and delivered nothing against Barcelona. Dont get me wrong he is a great player and will improve to become one of the best in the world but he is just no yet what he is hyped to be. His right foot is a joke and he is slow as a tractor, i swear I would beat him over any of 35, 50, 75, 100 or 200m distances. He aint got the acceleration of a real athlete and any defender he has outplayed with his sublime skills will catch up with him a sec later.

For those reasons, there's no way he'll become a Silva or an Iniesta, he'll probably never score a slalom-dribbling solo golazo. On the other hand he is a better crosser and long range shooter than both, so he should rely on those to impose himself on a game. Yeah, and maybe spent some hours in the gym and have a decent meal or two...

Pffffttt Playa please.. I would like to see any other player try and play as many games as Mata did in their first season and have as big as impact as he did in the English Premier League. How could you possibly say that ''there's no way he'll become a Silva'' when Silva's legs went missing in the latter stages of the season just like Mata after he had been run into the ground having to play practically every game for City. He might not have the pace but he doesn't need it with his vision and composure, It is utterly preposterous to degrade Mata's contribution to last season because he didn't turn up against Barcelona in which we basically parked a jumbo jet in front of the goal and scored on lucky counters which of course everybody knows Mata isn't exactly a defensive player. Considering Juan Mata assisted 13 English Premier League goals in a more defensive minded team compared to Silva's 15 playing in a free flowing attack minded City i really can't see where you get your logic from!

bombayblue™ and Jype like this

His weakness seems to be his stamina and pace. Although he can do little about the latter, I have noticed that Mata was much better under AVB who used to always sub him in the last 20 mins or so of the game (to a lot of stick I might add). That might be the key to keeping Juan in form. Unfortunately I don't see him starting the season as he did last year because with the Euros and Olympics he literally has not had a break.

On another point, Mata is one of the best players in the league, but let's not let his awesome skills stop us from seeing his weaknesses.

Bambiny14 likes this

Absolutely agree. He looked tired so often under RDM. He doesn't seem the sort of player that can play 60 games a season and still give it all. He'd struggle with 45.

Why was Mata so tired under RDM? Our biggest games were played against better opponents such as Barcelona and Bayern. We were playing very defensive and that is the reason why he looked so tired. Players from Primera aren't suited to defensive tactics, they like to have a ball all the time in possesion that is why he was the best player under AVB. We won't be playing defensive next season with new players like Hazard, Marin, KDB, etc., simply because they can't play like that.

EDIT: Silva was shit since January/February and that is they key reason City strugled a lot during last games.

Interesting stat comparision between Silva's and Mata's first season in premier league.

309404_346764998733703_1384622986_n.jpg

At the beginning, Silva's stats totally overwhelm those of Mata's. Then you take a look @ Crosses. I thought Silva would dominate that one. Wrong!!! Mata's numbers jump off the page.

“There are a lot of stereotypes about footballers, and sometimes the players themselves feel like they need to follow certain patterns. It’s always more of the same, everyone’s looking for fame, money, cars, women. But like in any other profession, it’d be a big mistake to generalize. Juan is the complete opposite of that stereotype. That’s why I liked him instantly and became friends with him in the national team. He’s an extremely normal person, very calm and quiet. He likes to spend time with his friends, and even more so with his family. He likes going out for a cup of coffee, going to the movies, staying home, stuff I love to do as well and that fortunately we get the chance to do together in London. Whatever he needs, he knows I’m here for him, he’s got me. I told him to come because I knew this was the place for him, and he’s found a friend in me.”

- Fernando Torres

Damn dude where did you find that quote?? This is freakin' awesome!!!