Oriol Romeu

termninja

When is he coming back?

I find it a pity that he got injured for so long.

Can't see Romeu playing again this season, the games are just too important to risk playing a half fit player and for Oriol's sake it's no point risking his recovery when the season is so close to being over. As can be seen from the pictures, he has returned to light training so he should definitely be back to full fitness by pre-season.

hopefully if we wrap up CL football before the Everton game he can get some minutes in that and then against City in America! I really hope he can have a good pre-season and become more of a first team player next season! he has so much potential.

I think because there's always been that inkling Barcelona could buy him back from us a lot of members and fans in general have made Romeu a bit of an afterthought with the assumption he'll just be gone someday so there's no real point in warming to him and making him a permanent fixture in our side. That's my impression anyway.

I have to add; I do not buy this 'he's an immobile player' comment at all which I see more often these days.

I feel AVB specifically restricted how much he moved when he was here. We played a 4-3-3 which means the defensive midfielder really isn't allowed to roam all that much and thus can't display much mobility. In our current 4-2-3-1 however, I feel like he'd be like a horny dog chasing the ball for every second of the game when it's called for. The enthusiasm of Ramires with the calm-headedness of Mikel (displayed best vs. Man City last season & also Newcastle United during one of their best ever seasons). Oh, and the best understanding of the game tactically that I've seen from a player his age since the likes of... well, no one comes to mind aside from Busquets actually. I don't compare the 2 because of their Barcelona roots - I compare them only because I feel they're so similar - but it's also no coincidence that they share so many traits. He has the Golden Age of Barcelona embedded in his DNA. He's not and wasn't part of the Golden Age starting 11, but he's very much come from the Golden Age of Barcelona's teaching through La Masia and so-on in my opinion. Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Pique and so on didn't have this same understanding of the game at this young age from what I gather; only the talent.

All this talk of buying a new defensive midfielder like Capoue etc. goes on but I really think it's not needed. We have one of the best (potentially) young midfielders in recent memory already at the club in Oriol.

Skip to around 0:40 in this video. This is exactly what so many of us want to see from our defensive midfielder - slide tackles. Perfect slide tackles, at that. Just seconds later into the video you'd be mistaken for thinking it's David Luiz with a shaved head! He drops into the centre (almost) of defence when needed (something else our current options do not do enough) and then brings the ball out from the back with possession in mind.

Now simply for viewing pleasure. He was around 20 years old in these videos here. Please, find me a single 20 year old on the continent who plays this position as well as he demonstrates below. Constantly getting the ball forward, winning the ball back, and feeling happy to receive the ball.

Good shout Mr Leif :)

Indeed we could have an amazing player on our hands - and think you hit the nail on the head with the Barca buy back clause! That expires this season!!!! So next season he's all ours :) FOREVER :)

Him and Luis would be great in the pivot - although I do expect us to sign someone this year - but we could easily rotate them all :)

Shame about the injury tho - lets hope it doesn't set him back too much! Being younger helps z:)

I'm in agreement with @Leif here, he is somebody that seems a little forgotten but one reason is that he has been injured for so long. also, i agree that he can be great one day.

he is one of the most comfortable players on the ball i have seen at his age for his position. he is so two-footed and some of his long balls are just delicious. His positioning i actually think is very good and one of his main attributes is his covering of the centerbacks when they are out of position.

cant wait to see him improve and play more next season

1 possible blessing in disguise from this injury - less chance of Barcelona using the buy-back clause which I believe will expire after next season(?).

If there really ever was one. AVB contested that multiple times and he probably has read that contract once or twice. Anyway, as soon as Barca believe there was a buy back clause, I am fine with Romeu developing to a world class DM here.

Fantastic news, though I will stick with my previous opinion and say he shouldn't play again this season. Maybe he could play a part in the Man City friendlies or the last game of the season againt Everton if everything is settled by then but definitely not in tomorrow's game or the Europa League final.

Fantastic news, though I will stick with my previous opinion and say he shouldn't play again this season. Maybe he could play a part in the Man City friendlies or the last game of the season againt Everton if everything is settled by then but definitely not in tomorrow's game or the Europa League final.

if we win tomorrow i dont see any harm in playing him against Villa. He seems desperate to get back playing again.

Now simply for viewing pleasure. He was around 20 years old in these videos here. Please, find me a single 20 year old on the continent who plays this position as well as he demonstrates below. Constantly getting the ball forward, winning the ball back, and feeling happy to receive the ball.

I can't but i'll tell you of an 18 year old....CHALOBAHHHHHHHHHHH!!! :D

geoffrey kondogbia and pedro obiang but thats about it.