test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Domino-

Thibaut Courtois

Started by Domino-,

7,686 posts in this topic
1 hour ago, dreamcfc said:

We signed this guy when he was a teenager, if he has no love of passion for the club now, he never will. He doesn't motivate players when things are going wrong, he does the opposite and sulks.

Every year he is saying he wants to go to Real Madrid... do Real even want him? do we know this for a fact? IF Real Madrid come knocking for Tibo, it's not because they think he's the best in the world, it's because he's in the last year of his contract and is cheaper than other options. As long as we don't go all in for Butland with the money and invest/show some ambition (I.e. The Alisson rumour) then him going doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I may be pissing on romanticism and tradition here but for me a player loving the club is a bonus, a great one granted, but still a bonus. Extreme example but if Mbappe admitted he was a childhood Spurs fan and on the same day Benteke said he loved Chelsea all his life, would you rather the latter played for us?

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

I may be pissing on romanticism and tradition here but for me a player loving the club is a bonus, a great one granted, but still a bonus. Extreme example but if Mbappe admitted he was a childhood Spurs fan and on the same day Benteke said he loved Chelsea all his life, would you rather the latter played for us?

You used an extremely bad example, from your perspective i'd be saying I want Tibo out because he supports another club but Jack Butland is a Chelsea fan so get him in!! .... NO, please read what I said properly and don't just take out bits.

I'm also not saying every player must be willing to die for the club they play for, I mentioned love for the club in this case because he has been here since a teenager, he's not someone we signed last year. he came here , at the age he did, because we wanted him to be our next Petr Cech, he isn't going to be that, so why keep him.

Have we ever had so much uncertainty over 1 player in recent years? The blokes in the papers every season saying he wants to go!!!

Please either agree or disagree with my post, don't just take a small quote and try to make something different from it. seems like your fishing.

5 hours ago, dreamcfc said:

We signed this guy when he was a teenager, if he has no love of passion for the club now, he never will. He doesn't motivate players when things are going wrong, he does the opposite and sulks.

Every year he is saying he wants to go to Real Madrid... do Real even want him? do we know this for a fact? IF Real Madrid come knocking for Tibo, it's not because they think he's the best in the world, it's because he's in the last year of his contract and is cheaper than other options. As long as we don't go all in for Butland with the money and invest/show some ambition (I.e. The Alisson rumour) then him going doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Thing with Real Madrid is, if they thought there was another keeper that really was worth getting over Courtois for paying over the top, they'd have gone for them. They are a super rich club that spends 40 million pounds on 17 year olds..

Thibaut's not the best in the world, but for Real, Tbo and Alisson are prety much similar and Courtois would cost less. SO they're going for him, if they thought Alisson is far superior than him that it deserves 20 million extra, they'd have gone for him.

He may have joined as a teenager but was immediately loaned out for three years. Instead he developed love for Madrid.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, manpe said:

He may have joined as a teenager but was immediately loaned out for three years. Instead he developed love for Madrid.

Agree. And this is 1 problem about our loan system. OK it is necessary to send players out for various reasons but it can then cause them to feel grievance towards us with them thinking we dont give a toss about them.

So we have to keep in constant contact with the more hopeful ones. Making sure they FEEL they are important to US and WE care about their future. Its obvious AM got into Tibos head and heart.

I read recently that we should have put a clause into his contract - and all other players we sign from outside England, that we insisted that his family were to join him in UK.

Now I'm in 2 minds about this but I can understand it.

Not sure about the same clause in a managers contract as GENERALLY they dont stay at clubs as long as players. Not here anyway.

Even though the CBs of Belgium were fantastic against Brazil, the real star at the back was no doubt Courtois. Haven't seen this Courtois for a while now for Chelsea.

Yeah he was great. Possibly motm performance.

How do we replace this allegedly overrated keeper?  (according to the geniuses on here) 

2 minutes ago, MrExcalibur100 said:

How do we replace this allegedly overrated keeper?  (according to the geniuses on here) 

Probably Butland.

10 minutes ago, MrExcalibur100 said:

By getting one who's just as good with his hands but significantly better at distribution and playing from the back? 

Unionjack likes this

13 minutes ago, Pizy said:

By getting one who's just as good with his hands but significantly better at distribution and playing from the back? 

Like who? And do you trust this club to deliver on signing such a player giving our recent transfer history?

1 hour ago, MrExcalibur100 said:

Like who? And do you trust this club to deliver on signing such a player giving our recent transfer history?

Like his opposite number today who we've been heavily linked with. 

I mean, if Tibo were to sign a new 5 year contract so we don't have to ever hear about him leaving for the foreseeable future I'd be fine with it, but every other week all season and all summer long a new quote comes out about how he wants to go back to Spain. I'm sick of it. If we can replace him with Alisson I'd do it in a split second.

We wouldn't be losing much if anything as a shot stopper and we'd be gaining a modern goalie who keeps City's excellent Ederson out of the Brazil side.

Unionjack likes this

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

And without a bloody great big gap between his legs that lets balls through.

Courtois sucks. Just as lucky as always with his world class saves throughout the whole tournament.

And catching every corner is so 2014. Phoo. I wish he could have a world class tournament once like Neuer and De Gea. Oh, wait...

And catching every corner is so 2014. Phoo. I wish he could have a world class tournament once like Neuer and De Gea. Oh, wait...

Dude I am with you that courtois is class and one of the best keepers in the world....

But your responses in this thread have been old for so long. You clearly just want to say something sarcastic EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. that you post to try and prove some kind of point. You could just post something constructive and have a real conversation/debate about it.

@mods- I'm not sure how he is still posting here, he simply pulls the post quality down of the thread every time Courtois does something good.
Weckerz and milan.cech like this

Yeah, guys like 'Unionjack' and 'whats happening' above me prove your point. They are constructive and make this forum great again. I'm sure you w*nk off every time you read a comment like that. As long as people like that keep posting complete nonsense, I don't feel the need to discuss about non facts.

I don't think there are many people that actually want him to leave.  It's more like:

If you don't want to sign a new deal and want to leave on a free next summer, then you can go.  You're a good keeper but we won't miss the constant flirting with Madrid, or your dad.

If you want to sign and commit to the club, we'd love to keep you here.

In the end, 50M or whatever we get is a lot better than 0M next summer.

manpe and Unionjack like this

If he plays like he did last night I'd rather keep him and give him a big pay rise than spend 70m on Alisson. Never ever looked convincing for Brazil at the tournament. Hes a good keeper but 70m? Fuck off not a chance.

Think last night was just a little reminder for everybody how good Courtois can be in big games when he needs to be. Sure people will bring up the Barcelona game etc but hes a world class keeper without a shadow of a doubt and if it were up to me I'd be pushing the boat out to convince him to stay rather than pursue Alisson or Butland or whatever average player we will be linked with next. There are not many upgrades on Courtois out there. People talk about distribution, I'm more convinced of a goalkeeper by their actual ability to save shots first and foremost and Courtois is excellent at that, as well as collecting crosses and commanding his box. Hes also a proven winner, having 9 trophies at 26 years old. Sure hes a massive pain in the arse cause he speaks a lot but so does Hazard and so do many other players, not just here but all over Europe.

People keep bringing up Cech and how we let him go but we can't let sentiment cloud what turned out to be an excellent move, Cech was declining and still is. Courtois was arguably one of the best keepers in the world while at Atletico and still is now. Sure Cech was a leader too and a huge cog in the recent history of Chelsea but so was Lampard, Terry, Drogba, Cole, Essien, Makalele etc and they all had to go at some point too.

If it were up to me I'd be focusing on trying to get him to renew along with Hazard when they come back from the world cup, rather than looking for lesser replacements at huge costs. Quality not quantity is going to improve our squad and keeping arguably one of the best GKs in the world should be high up the list.  

11Drogba likes this