The English Football Thread

Steve

1 hour ago, kmk108 said:

IMO, the quality of the league isn't dependent on how many Champions League finalists a league has. It's indicative of how strong the top teams are in the league, but the competitiveness of La Liga is a joke compared to the Premier League.  

There are statistics which suggest that the opposite is in fact true. The statistics show that the points gap between the top and bottom clubs of the two leagues is consistently greater in the Premier League than it is in La Liga. Further, the points gap between fourth place and the relegation zone is also greater in England, on average, than it is in Spain.

I should add that I have not seen these statistics myself. I am just repeating something I heard Guilem Balligue say. I'm sure it must be true though, or he would not have said it.

• Replies 65k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

52 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

There are statistics which suggest that the opposite is in fact true. The statistics show that the points gap between the top and bottom clubs of the two leagues is consistently greater in the Premier League than it is in La Liga. Further, the points gap between fourth place and the relegation zone is also greater in England, on average, than it is in Spain.

I should add that I have not seen these statistics myself. I am just repeating something I heard Guilem Balligue say. I'm sure it must be true though, or he would not have said it.

There's also statistics that say PL Champions average less total points, a smaller gap between 1-2 (aside from Spain), smaller gap between first and sixth, 4th-7th have more points, and a smaller gap between a team and the team above them. 

On 2/15/2017 at 5:59 AM, OhForAGreavsie said:

If they have to lose anyone to injury, I'd far rather it was Aguero. In my opinion this injury to Jesus will strengthen City's first XI, not weaken it. 

Don't think so, I think the way pep want his striker to play, I think jesus is better. 

Aguero is fantastic striker but he does not make many selfless run player like Jesus/Suarez/Costa does for the team.

38 minutes ago, communicate said:

Don't think so, I think the way pep want his striker to play, I think jesus is better. 

Aguero is fantastic striker but he does not make many selfless run player like Jesus/Suarez/Costa does for the team.

That may be true but we have seen too few performances from City featuring Jesus to be confident that it is. The comment I made was based on my opinion that, in terms of individual talents, Aguero is the better of the two strikers. Whether Jesús will turn out to be the more effective contributor for Pep's gameplan, time will tell.

13 hours ago, Dahnald said:

Spurs losing to fucking Belgium side Genk.

Premier League teams in Europe are becoming a fucking joke. 

Pretty sure Spurs will beat Genk in the second leg so it's not a terrible result. You are saying it reflects badly on English teams yet Liverpool were runners up last year. Even though we won it getting knocked out of one competition and put in another is just acknowledging failure. Spurs who I loathe have gone from playing Europe's elite at Wembley to playing also rans and this could put in jeopardy their top four finish with this and there still in the F.A.cup so fixtures pile up.

If we had by some miracle qualified for the Europa league last season there would be apathy from our fans especially in the league stages where I imagine we would be playing in front of crowds of 25-30,000 unless tickets were massively reduced. Mourinho's final game in 2007 was a Champions league game played in front of 24,000 and I remember going to a Uefa cup game in 2002 where the crowd was 14,000.

3 minutes ago, kmk108 said:

They just don't understand! He's misunderstood! :blink:

Ive lost count of the number of times hes been misunderstood. I understand Diego talking better than the way he acts!