How Are You Feeling?

epicsarah-ous

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amels,

are you alright? this doesn't sound good sweetie.

Nothing serious. Just been thinking about life, my future etc. too much maybe in the last few weeks and months. Probably I've just changed, noticed what's more and what's less important. Getting older lol

Anyway, thanks for your concern.

Don't worry, that's what repeats are for! :D Or can you?

Doesn't really matter though since you got good results in the others!

@Rmpr, last year at school?

I can, but I dont know what my final grade will be. It is the arithmetic mean of Final Exam(x2) + Group work + Scientific Research...

I never got any repeat in my entire life though, I am scared!

Btw, first year in college!

I can, but I dont know what my final grade will be. It is the arithmetic mean of Final Exam(x2) + Group work + Scientific Research...

You'll manage that somehow. Sometimes the shittiest situations are the ones that get the best out of us ;)

welcome things are a bit tense atm ,,,,well thats fairly normal ....a word of advice ... expect some personal abuse ,,,

all friendly ..well mostly ...

Thank you for the welcome and the advice. I'll try my best to be one of the friendly ones around here

cheers! :)

U NO WRITE "THE MAK" AT THE BEGINNING OF YOUR SENTENCES ANYMORE?

The Mak does not know what you are talking about...

First year? Ah, you'll be fine mate. How many years do you have and how many count towards your degree? I'm in 3rd now at the moment and only the 3rd and 4th years count. if it makes you feel any better, I've done nothing so far this year and it's supposed to be the most important one yet!

But if you are worried about your final grade, why don't you try to work it out? Like, guess the minimum you think you got in each area, find out the percentage each area counts for and get your mark out of a 100. It might not be as bad as you think! I can help with the maths if you give me the figures and percentages!

First year? Ah, you'll be fine mate. How many years do you have and how many count towards your degree? I'm in 3rd now at the moment and only the 3rd and 4th years count. if it makes you feel any better, I've done nothing so far this year and it's supposed to be the most important one yet!

But if you are worried about your final grade, why don't you try to work it out? Like, guess the minimum you think you got in each area, find out the percentage each area counts for and get your mark out of a 100. It might not be as bad as you think! I can help with the maths if you give me the figures and percentages!

Mate, how does it work in France? I think in Brazil it is a little different...

Lets go!

My degree is for Mechanical Engineering. The basic course can be done in 4 years or 5 years (depending on how many subjects you take per month) with the ability to do it in up to 7 years. The subjects are evaluated in a semester base, so I have 2 weeks of exams per year. Some subjects are acumalative, so I need to pass (60%+) in them to be able to continue to the next semester. For instance, I must get the grades in Calculus 2 so I can be able to attend Calculus 3, if I dont I will have to retake the class and I will graduate in 5 years and 6 months. And so on...

Each professor has its own way to calculate its grade (some count the exam only, others homework, etc). The University works on a GPA system of 1-10. I fucked up in Materials Chemestry and the Professor made us do a group presentation and a scientific research to be part of the overall review. I got 52% in the Final Exam, the Scientific Research will be returned next week and the Group Work on Friday. To be honest I have no idea how we did in the group presentation because the fucking teacher has a stupid poker face and does not make any coment and in the Scientific Research I think I did well but you never know (maybe 80-90%).

For you to get your degree you must pass every single subject, so every fucking thing counts.

I am on a 8.9GPA and chose the 5 year option!

Thanks Mak!

Mate, how does it work in France? I think in Brazil it is a little different...

Lets go!....

Right, I have to come clean. 'The Mak' is indeed from France; I, however, am from Ireland (shhh!). So I haven't got a clue about GPA I'm afraid. An American girl tried to explain it to me once...once!

I study Psychology and (thankfully) we're marked the same as the arts students instead of the science; so we're on a completely different system which includes 40% as a pass and 70%+ as near impossible! It some kind of fucked up learning curve.

Anyway, so I'm going to assume each of the 3 areas (exam, research & group work) account for 1/3 (33.3%) of your final grade for 'Materials Chemistry'? So, basically, you got:

52% of 33.3% from the exam, which is 17.316%.

80% of 33.3% from the research, which is 26.64%

and I'm going to assume (because you can't account for other people's incompetence!) you got 50% of 33.3% from the group work, which is 16.65%.

So 17.316 + 26.64 + 16.65 = 60.6%. Boom! Over 60%!

All you really need is 50% in the group work to pass! Even if you get a bit lower in it, a high mark in your research will do it too! Nothing to worry about! :D