Yuri Zhirkov

DavidEU

Name: Yuri Zhirkov

Position: Midfielder

Number: 18

Joined From: CSKA Moskva

Fee: £18 million

Signed by: Carlo Ancelotti

Though Chelsea Football Club did not spend £80 million on a winger like Real Madrid did earlier in July 2009, there is still much excitement surrounding the signing of Russian winger Yuri Zhirkov. Zhirkov, at the age of just 25, is a natural-born winner. Along with winning the 2005 UEFA Cup, the Russian has won the 2005 and 2006 Russian Premier League titles, the Russian Cup in 2005, 2006, 2008 and 2009, along with four Russian Super Cups; most recently in March 2009 with a 2-1 win over champions Rubin Kazan - Zhirkov was the man of the match.

Perhaps not a household name in the same style as Ronaldo or Kaka, Zhirkov is a talented young player with a bright future ahead of him. Nevertheless, the Russian was named his country's player of the year, ahead of Andrei Arshavin of Arsenal, which is testament to the ability he has already demonstrated at both CSKA and under Guus Hiddink at international level.

It was in fact former Blues boss Hiddink who recommended the player join the club, and the transfer was agreed between both clubs on July 7, before making the switch a done deal a couple of days later. Impressive during training, Zhirkov has been said to be "working his socks off" to impress new manager Carlo Ancelotti according to Chelsea TV's Ben Andrews, following the transfer that makes him the most expensive Russian player of all time.

Yuri Zhirkov is also a player for the big occassion, having netted the winner in the 2005 Rusian Cup final against FC Khimki and also in the UEFA Cup final during the same season. An experience Russian international, he impressed during Russia's UEFA Euro 2008 run to the semi finals as his country's left-back. Zhirkov will offer cover to Ashley Cole in that particular role, whilst also competing with Florent Malouda for a starting position out wide.

Oh lads, i am getting a bit excited now.

I have a certain feeling that we did really well on the transferwindow this year.

Improving where improvement was needed.

Sturrey and Zhirko will have a massive carreer here, believe me

(I hope i don´t have to swallow my words later)

who knows..

what i'm saying is he probably used to wear or still does wear air jordan clothing, seems as they made the number 23 more commercial and so forth.

Why would you assume he wears air jordan clothes.

Edited by Badboy

If he is anywhere near as good in real life as he is in Football Manager then Chelsea have a total gem of a player :lol: .

Seriously though, it's good to have another good left-sided player in the squad. Up until recently I hadn't fancied Malouda as a great player at all. Hopefully a bit of competition for places will urge him to keep up his good form.