Your All-time Favorite Footballer.

DYC.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody knows what went on with him on the eve of the '98 final though. What an absolute shame. He was on fire uptil then and just couldn't play on the night that mattered most. But when one superstar couldn't turn up, another did in Zizou. True legends both.

Great justice was done though when Ronaldo scored both in the final 4 years later.

He had a seizure, fit type of thing. Roberto Carlos was sharing a room with him and he woke up with Ronaldo having the fit in his bed. Scary shit. From then on, he just seemed worried and nervous like someone had just died.

Justice was done for sure in 2002, and great opposition to do it to too. Bastard Krauts.

Nobody knows what went on with him on the eve of the '98 final though. What an absolute shame. He was on fire uptil then and just couldn't play on the night that mattered most. But when one superstar couldn't turn up, another did in Zizou. True legends both.

Great justice was done though when Ronaldo scored both in the final 4 years later.

Ah I'd forgetten about Zizou! Good call!

But yeah, we still will probably never know what happened with him before that final.. Perhaps one day he will enlighten the world :lol: - I hated how people slated him in 2006. Yes, he wasn't the same players, but the disrespect was unbearable. Kind of like, how people always talk about Zidane's headbutt -_-

Oh well, get the nazi's to kill me with gas or something amusing (i meant it tongue in cheek anyway, i have nothing against Germans but in Football i hope they lose every time i see them)

ANYWAY ON TOPIC...

Patrick Kluivert was also someone i loved when he was young.

Edited by OllieCFC

^ Good shout about Batistuta. Really underrated, perhaps because he never won anything.

imo, top 5 strikers over the last 2 decades :

1. Ronaldo

2. Raul

3. Thierry Henry

4. Alan Shearer

5. Samuel Eto'o

I couldn't make a list even if I tried, too many greats and everybody's personal takes on what makes a player a great striker, but that's not a bad list. Raúl wasn't a pure striker though. More a supporting striker like Bergkamp, Cantona, Baggio, Del Piero, Totti etc.

Love how you added Eto'o in your list, very underrated striker. The same goes for the Great Alan Shearer, how I loved that man as a kid.

But like I said, there are so many greats like Ruud van Nistelrooy (still one of the best finishers around, i would even say the best, Gabriel Batistuta, Pippo Inzaghi, Robbie Fowler, David Trezeguet, George Weah, Jürgen Klinsmann, (young) Michael Owen, (young) Patrick Kluivert, Christian Vieri, Roy Makaay and the list goes on and on.

This generation lacks a great great striker although Dzeko has the goods to become one. But that's because like the 'number 10', the pure striker is becoming a lot less important in football and they are starting to fade.

This generation lacks a great great pure striker although Dzeko has the goods to become one. But that's because like the 'number 10', the pure striker is becoming a lot less important in football and are starting to fade.

Because our generation is ruined by money. Players come and go so quickly it's hard to establish those legends really.. What a shame.

This generation lacks a great great pure striker although Dzeko has the goods to become one. But that's because like the 'number 10', the pure striker is becoming a lot less important in football and are starting to fade.

Very true.

There are so many teams now without a proper out and out striker who starts every game. So many look to drop into the space the traditional no 10 used to operate in - ie behind the traditional striker/s. A cross between a 10 and a 9 - a 9 and a half.

United has Rooney, we have Anelka, City have Tevez, Barcelona have Villa (who shifts to the left though), Arsenal have RvP.

In fact some teams play with a strikerless formation - Roma have done it for years now with Totti.

This Generation has the likes of Eto'o, Ronaldive, Messi, Torres, Villa, Drogba, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Rooney etc so amazing world class players are being produced but they are so arrogant and money orientated it's ridiculous. It's no longer a game for loving your team and standing by them (as a player).

I agree tho about strikers, only Eto'o really sticks out in todays times.

Edited by OllieCFC

Very true.

There are so many teams now without a proper out and out striker who starts every game. So many look to drop into the space the traditional no 10 used to operate in - ie behind the traditional striker/s. A cross between a 10 and a 9 - a 9 and a half.

United has Rooney, we have Anelka, City have Tevez, Barcelona have Villa (who shifts to the left though), Arsenal have RvP.

In fact some teams play with a strikerless formation - Roma have done it for years now with Totti.

Villa starts on the left. Messi plays in the centre in some kind of half '10'/half '9' in and it's incredible how me manages the two roles to such a devistating effect. He's really starting to grow on me in that role.

Agree with the rest. But about Roma, Totti really did turn into/played as a true striker for a few years. He really did stay up front.

Agree with the rest. But about Roma, Totti really did turn into/played as a true striker for a few years. He really did stay up front.

He did, but not anymore. Well not too often anyway. With time he's tried to become a trequartista (around 2007 I think, the year after he won the European Golden Ball). I remember how Spalletti shifted Vucinic out to the left with Totti between the opposition's midfield and defence. A 4-5-1-0 perhaps.

This Generation has the likes of Eto'o, Ronaldive, Messi, Torres, Villa, Drogba, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Rooney etc so amazing world class players are being produced but they are so arrogant and money orientated it's ridiculous. It's no longer a game for loving your team and standing by them (as a player).

I agree tho about strikers, only Eto'o really sticks out in todays times.

Yeah but the previous generation had a crazy amount of absolute brilliant footballers. Even the smaller clubs had world-class players in their teams.

He did, but not anymore. Well not too often anyway. With time he's tried to become a trequartista (around 2007 I think, the year after he won the European Golden Ball). I remember how Spalletti shifted Vucinic out to the left with Totti between the opposition's midfield and defence. A 4-5-1-0 perhaps.

True. Weird to see Totti not being a regular starter anymore, he even talked about the posibility of leaving.