Hip Hop discussion

Aria

• 3 weeks later...

I've always been a fan of obie trice, he's an extremely underrated rapper.

2 dope albums under his belt, anyone who doesn't have his 2005 debut album 'cheers' & second rounds on me, really need to get downloading them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4mFxcz5dZQ

and btw can a mod or admin clean up this thread, so that only hip hop discussion remains.

I've always been a fan of obie trice, he's an extremely underrated rapper.

2 dope albums under his belt, anyone who doesn't have his 2005 debut album 'cheers' & second rounds on me, really need to get downloading them.

Agreed. You might not agree with me on this one, but I think Xzibit is also quite underrated too. What he did on What's The Difference (ft Eminem & Xzibit) - Dr. Dre was great!

I'll never forget his classic "Paparazzi" and one of his hits "Hey Now (ft Keri Hilson)"

Agreed. You might not agree with me on this one, but I think Xzibit is also quite underrated too. What he did on What's The Difference (ft Eminem & Xzibit) - Dr. Dre was great!

I'll never forget his classic "Paparazzi" and one of his hits "Hey Now (ft Keri Hilson)"

Never been a big fan of xzibit, although what’s the difference is a classic and everything on chronic 2001 was untouchable. Although i still listen to tracks like ride or die from weapons of mass destruction every now and then. He's just never really been associated heavily with my favourite artists.

What do you think of some of the new rappers coming in the game, such as j.cole..

his album should be dropping at some point, apparently jay-z will be the only featured artist.

I'm really looking forward to J.Cole's album! His mixtapes have been great so far, let's hope he'll deliver on the album.

Drake for me is a big no. He started off great but ever since the hook up with Young Money he's basically gone mainstream and you can hear it in his music now, he's gone more commercial and raps about shit no-one (except ringtone fans) loves. What can you expect though? He IS dating Nicki Minaj (don't get me started on that cow)

People are comparing Drake vs J.Cole to Jay-Z vs Nas. Though no rivalry will ever be as great as those 2, because a "rivalry" today usually leaves someone dead.

But the future is still bright. Lupe Fiasco is still young and I see much more coming from him, Lasers should be out soon (hopefully) and if he follows up on Food & Liquor and The Cool then this should be a great album!

Another guy that I see coming up fast is B.o.B. He's doing great in the charts right now, even before he blew up mainstream I loved the guy, he's got a flow and style that you can only really compare to Lupe. The Adventures of Bobby Ray was a great album, most of the songs on that were brilliant (though, I'm quite sick of Airplanes now)

The come up & the warm up are two unbelievably quality mixtapes from J. Cole, grown simba is one track in particular i think he should have saved for the album.

Lupe's album should be good, although it's been pushed back and I heard he's changing the album name too. B.O.B's album was too commercial for me, especially tracks like 'Bet I' featuring T.I of all people. I can pick out a few dope tracks though and I suppose airplanes was dope, especially the Eminem version before people caught onto it months later.

^ Quality tune.

• 2 weeks later...

Lil Wayne's new album 'I Am Not A Human Being' is actually not bad.

Much better than his last one anyway, i will probably get bored of it in a week or so, but nevertheless it's worth a listen.

'So Appalled' from Kanye's G.O.O.D Fridays release featuring Jay-Z & RZA was nice too.

90s rap was amazing, start of the 00's was good then from about 2006 onwards it started to really take a turn for the worst. The new rappers don't have a patch on the biggie's and Shakur's and young snoop dog. Those days are long gone, there are to many jokers now. 2 pac and biggie used to rap about things that used to happen from the top of there heads and everything they talked about you could relate too. The clowns now are destroying rap, the surge of the black middle class in America has produced children that don't need to rap about struggle no more.

Edited by Badboy

90s rap was amazing, start of the 00's was good then from about 2006 onwards it started to really take a turn for the worst. The new rappers don't have a patch on the biggie's and Shakur's and young snoop dog. Those days are long gone, there are to many jokers now. 2 pac and biggie used to rap about things that used to happen from the top of there heads and everything they talked about you could relate too. The clowns now are destroying rap, the surge of the black middle class in America has produced children that don't need to rap about struggle no more.

Agreed. Though this make a minority or rap now which has been magnified by the media.

Got into hip hop in the late 90's (Dre, Snoop, Xzibit, Eminem etc), although I still listen to alot (Game, Em, 50, Luda, Lil Wayne) it has gone downhill in recent years.

I now find myself listening to alot of UK urban stuff like Bashy, Wretch 32, Even Tinchy etc.

Yes of course tx, heavy metal and indie is load of crap imo. Hip hop years ago used to be a culture, this culture called hip hop gained a lot of attention from people who really liked it, in such a short space of time it was commercialized to fuck. None of the up coming rappers today would of got a sniff in the 90's when snoop jay z 2 pac biggie dr dre were at there pomp's. in 1994 at the age of 21 nas brought out illmatic album, nas was a rapper in the golden era at the age of 21. 95% of the up coming rappers today would be laughed at from new york to California if they even attempted to make it in the 90's. Probably only nipsey hussle would be taken seriously.

Edited by Badboy