Hip Hop discussion

Aria

To Pimp a Butterfly is different and I don't know if I'm ready for "different". I enjoy it everytime I listen to it but besides The Black the Berry I think there's no song that will be remembered for years, decades to come.

The Blacker The Berry sounds really disjointed to me. His rapping and flow on it is really aggressive and I'm not a fan of it. It is a real tonal shift from S80 and GKMC, not that a tonal shift is a bad thing but I think he really lets himself down on this song. What bothers me most however is chorus that repeats 'The blacker the berry, the sweeter the juice'. It sounds like something ripped straight out of GKMC (inparticular the songs that share GKMC's name). It sounds incredibly displaced and awkward amongst the rest of the song especially with the mood shift immediately aftwards with that incoherent baritone blabber.

It's nice to see an artist try different strokes but I just don't think this is the best stroke for Kendrick Lamar. 5/10 - not a bad song, but nothing remarkable outside of a few snippets of lyrics.

I know someone will respond to this saying I'm wrong, but you know... it's music, it's as subjective to opinion as it gets.

Term, whats your thoughts on the album? I know your a massive fan.

I've listened to it once and thought it was good but nothing groundbreaking, I'm definitely going to give it a few more listens though.

I agree with Anthony Fantano in the sense that I wanted a more 'contemporary'/modern album, because GKMC had the best of both worlds imo. With TPAB Kendrick went completely left field!, and used the creative freedom he now has to release something like this. This isn't gym music, it isn't car music, heck.. in general it needs to be experienced in it's entirely, and that's the issue for me. It's a strange one, because I like it.. I can see why the critics are raving, there are no weak tracks, the beats are intricate and well placed, the subject matter is strong yet not preachy; the album has a lot going for it. In fact this is even more cinematic than GKMC, just less obvious.. overall/objectively.. I get it, it's just not what I wanted, might be what we needed though.

Was googling this guy and found this: http://noisey.vice.com/en_au/blog/tunji-ige-the-love-project-interview-for-us-video-premiere

Scroll down to and see what kind of jersey he is wearing :D

Brilliant. I had no idea. I am now an official Stan.

1423673102tunji_ige_1.jpg

Kendrick has created the album of the year. How to Pimp a Butterfly is fantastic, once you realise it's underlying messages. From Lucy (lucifer/world's evils) to the struggles of being a young, black success story in America, to the underlying poem in the album which is recited in Mortal Man (+ the artificial Pac interview at the end. So GOAT)...

Massive, massive fan. Enjoyed it more than GKMC in the end because I relate to it a lot more (I'm not a young kid from Compton and GKMC is quite main stream IMO) - it's more about spirituality (real big fan of the religious aspect of it), internal struggles that we all face and also the struggles a young black man might face on his way to success.

My favourite tracks are These Walls, Alright, 'i', Mortal Man and Wesley's Theory (shoutout to my man Wesley Snipes). The For Sale? and For Free? interludes are incredible as well if you understand them.

The 'u' track is also very awesome once you dissect it.

I've listened to it front to back twice on Spotify now. Kendrick's album is so underwhelming. Not even close to Section 80 or GKMC in terms of lyrical content or production. Sounds like some pseudo-Outkast scatter gun attempt, laced with pretentious pro-black lyricism. In some ways it's, similar to Kanye's last album, not in terms of sound, but in terms of disappointment. Simply put, it's corny as fuck. But I'm sure the Interscope Beast will try and promote this as some modern day classic to the sheeple, dickriders and fan-girls with all their paid for critics giving spectacular reviews and their bought radio stations giving it non-stop radio play. And this is the guy that's advertised as the new Hov, Pac, NAS? That bar is very low.

With all due respects, you definitely didn't get what the album was about.

With all due respects, you definitely didn't get what the album was about.

I did, trust me. But it was too sonically influenced and I felt the lyrical level was somewhat underwhelming. Just because it's a concept album and has a deep under-lying meaning doesn't make it special. It's nowhere near as good as GKMC or Section 80, both fantastically executed concept albums.

Ah, the pinnacle of mainstream hip-hop. K-dot.

GKMC was a great album and TPAB isn't on it's level but it's still good but please don't call him the reincarnation of Pac or Nas or whatever name is floating around. K-dot never was and never will be on their level( i don't even rate Pac that much).

Thoughts on Travis Scott?

I like him. Not only for his music (well, the gems amongst the stuff which gives me a headache) but all his influence behind the scenes. He takes a bit more credit than he should, but there's no doubt he's influenced music through influencing Kanye and the other artists he's shared ideas with. He's a visionary, I'm sure he'll move on from rapping and onto something bigger like having his label in the not too distant future.

A lot of people think his (along with people like Young Thug, Future) shit is incoherent and hard to decipher, but they intentionally slur their words etc. so that they can be heard as entirely different words depending on the listener, and the fact you have to rewind so many times to decipher the shit = high replayability. Which is a good thing. There's more layers to their art than your average artist.

They're underappreciated.

If you like Travis listen to this up and comer.

GKMC was a great album and TPAB isn't on it's level but it's still good but please don't call him the reincarnation of Pac or Nas or whatever name is floating around. K-dot never was and never will be on their level( i don't even rate Pac that much).

For me, he has already surpassed many of his predecessors. Like Biggie and Jay.

Anthony Fantano is such an idiot lol, he gave J Cole- Born Sinner a 5/10

That album was ass, I've been a J cole fan since he dropped the Warm up and Born sinner was awful.

Pinnacle of 'mainstream' Hip Hop?, you say that like it's a bad thing. Nas was mainstream.. Pac was mainstream.. Biggie was mainstream; these guys were never Immortal Techniques. Kendrick now has 2 classic albums under his belt and Section 80, soon his catalogue is going to start rivalling the legends.