The Pub - Discuss Anything

Manuf

Dont know why you would want to come here spike. The fees are ridiculous, cost of living usually really high and the quality of teaching probably no better than in Australia. Loads of young people are leaving the UK to study elsewhere because of how stupid the fees are

This 'stupidity' is a fallacy. Yea, I don't like it, but do I hate it? Not really. Yeah £9,000 is a major leap, but if it makes you a millionaire years after.. It's a small price in comparison :D

Do you not have to pay then spike?

I'd be paying for two universities then, if I was to pay and that makes no sense. I only pay my home University tuition fees and even then I don't have to because of HECS-Help. The Goverment pays for me till I earn over a certain tax bracket.

This 'stupidity' is a fallacy. Yea, I don't like it, but do I hate it? Not really. Yeah £9,000 is a major leap, but if it makes you a millionaire years after.. It's a small price in comparison :D

It clearly doesn't with the unemployment levels for graduates in this country. You could also do a degree in Holland or Denmark for example and become a millionaire like you said but not end up leaving uni with debts in excess of £30 000

It clearly doesn't with the unemployment levels for graduates in this country. You could also do a degree in Holland or Denmark for example and become a millionaire like you said but not end up leaving uni with debts in excess of £30 000

I think it also depends on your degree though. For example, I'm going to study Law in September. If I want to continue living in England (which I do) and practice Law then I have no choice but to study here. I'm okay with that. I don't pay back until I'm earning over £21,000. I'll never even see that money because it's automatically deducted at a fixed % of income.

The same applies for the medical based degrees. Dentistry & Medicine must be practiced here if people want to continue living here. As I said, it's not ideal, but I don't think it should encourage people to go abroad. UK Universities are still among the top in the world.

I think it also depends on your degree though. For example, I'm going to study Law in September. If I want to continue living in England (which I do) and practice Law then I have no choice but to study here. I'm okay with that. I don't pay back until I'm earning over £21,000. I'll never even see that money because it's automatically deducted at a fixed % of income.

The same applies for the medical based degrees. Dentistry & Medicine must be practiced here if people want to continue living here. As I said, it's not ideal, but I don't think it should encourage people to go abroad. UK Universities are still among the top in the world.

It is among the best in the world but it was before fees went up to 9000 per year. It isn't fair for people to have to pay that. The government should pay more attention to what the country needs to. So many people are going into journalism and media based degrees at university but we have a shortage of technical engineers for example, meaning we have to pay extra to get them from other countries. In Germany there is a financial incentive to study subjects where there is a shortage. Our government should pay more attention to shortages in certain industries and offer incentives to students. It would help to reduce graduate unemployment because there would be a wider range of graduates not all applying for the same type of job

Also that's what is wrong with the fees. There are certain degrees like law that would have to be studied in the UK if you want to work here. What is to stop the government pushing fees up even higher? They know that there will always be people who want to study law and medicine so they will be able to charge what they want. The government will have nobody but themselves to blame for a potential brain drain and shortage of skilled workers in a particular sector in the future

It is among the best in the world but it was before fees went up to 9000 per year. It isn't fair for people to have to pay that. The government should pay more attention to what the country needs to. So many people are going into journalism and media based degrees at university but we have a shortage of technical engineers for example, meaning we have to pay extra to get them from other countries. In Germany there is a financial incentive to study subjects where there is a shortage. Our government should pay more attention to shortages in certain industries and offer incentives to students. It would help to reduce graduate unemployment because there would be a wider range of graduates not all applying for the same type of job

I don't think that shortage can be blamed on a fee rise though. That's where we move onto a tangent of what our schools are actually emphasizing are the "in" degrees if you wish. This is where you could even blame Thatcher for that paradigm shift, but that's another issue. The fees can't be blamed for the shortage of technical engineers considering that we're not actually paying fees during time of study - we're provided by a loan that doesn't require us to pay it back until we're earning a certain amount.

There's also an argument to be made about the lack of information being provided to youngsters about the benefits of vocational subjects. Again, another issue that needs to be addressed by the numpties in Parliament. That issue will never be discussed because this country's reliance on the financial sector is key in high school & college's encouraging those degrees and careers.

I also agree about the German approach, it's one of the reasons they're the leading countries in industrial development, why they're experts in the automobile industry for example. But that's because Germany relies on that, as the UK does on Financial industries (thanks Marggie again)