The Pub - Discuss Anything

Manuf

I've been watching cricket, it's amazing!

Haha, you should watch as much of South Africa as you can, they're the best team in the world at the moment. If you're looking for a team to support, here's a football comparison guide:

Australia- Real Madrid. Between 1987 and 2007 Australia were so far ahead of the pack, winning 4 World Cups out of a possible 6 and aside from brief challenges from the West Indies, India and England, crushed everyone over that 20 year period, totally unopposed; similar to Real Madrid in the 50s. World Cup winners in 1987, 1999, 2003, and 2007; and runners up in 1996. Though still a fairly good team, Australia are light years away from their great teams of the 1890s, 1900s, 20s-40s, 70s, and 90-2000's.

Bangladesh- Anzhi. New boys on the block who are fairly shit but improving, fast.

England- A mixture of Leeds, Man United and Juventus. Like Australia, they have a great history, but as the fortune of Australian cricket rose, English cricket declined, and the last time (before recently) they were good was the early 80s. They were awful for the next 25 or so years, though. World Cup runners up 1979, 1987 and 1992.

India- Man City. Huge money, huge potential, fairly good history. But they tend to be disliked by neutral fans because of their vast financial clout. World Cup winners 1983 and 2011, runners up in 2003.

Pakistan- Napoli. Great past, bit of a decline in recent years but back on the rise. World Cup winners in 1992, runners up in 1999.

New Zealand- Accrington Stanley. Shit throughout their history, barring brief periods of success during the 80s and early 00's.

Sri Lanka- Arsenal. They play exciting cricket, but they don't usually win a lot of trophies to show for it. Consistently very good over the last 15 years, just not quite good enough to take that number one spot. World Cup winners 1996, runners up in 2007 and 2011.

South Africa- Bayern Munich/English national team. Currently the best team on the planet, and at many times in their history, they were amongst the best on paper. A failure to execute during key occasions has cost them time and again, and they wear the tag of 'chokers' in world cricket. Threw away the 1999 World Cup semi-final against Australia in a fashion very similar to Bayern's 99 CL Final loss.

West Indies- Liverpool. They had a 20 year period of utter dominance like Australia, except it stretched from the 60s to the 80s. Since the late 90's they've been pretty poor, though they are improving, albeit slowly. Like Liverpool, the way back to the top looks like a very long trip. World Cup winners in 1975 and 1979.

Zimbabwe- Torino. In the 90s the future looked bright for Zimbabwean cricket, they had some brilliant players and after a sublime performance in the 1999 World Cup, it seemed as though by around 2015 they would be a cricketing power. Administrative problems, Robert Mugabe's racial policies and other internal disputes have torn apart the team and its potential. They aren't going to get to the top anytime soon.

Haha, you should watch as much of South Africa as you can, they're the best team in the world at the moment. If you're looking for a team to support, here's a football comparison guide:

Australia- Real Madrid. Between 1987 and 2007 Australia were so far ahead of the pack, winning 4 World Cups out of a possible 6 and aside from brief challenges from the West Indies, India and England, crushed everyone over that 20 year period, totally unopposed; similar to Real Madrid in the 50s. World Cup winners in 1987, 1999, 2003, and 2007; and runners up in 1996. Though still a fairly good team, Australia are light years away from their great teams of the 1890s, 1900s, 20s, 40s, 70s, and 90-00's.

Australia was so bloody good in that period. So many fantastic players, truly the first 'Galacticos' team in International cricket.

Shane Warne

The Waugh Brothers

Jason Gillespie

David Boon

Brett Lee

Adam Gilchrist

Allan Border

Ian Healy

Merv Hughes

Glenn McGragh

Ricky Ponting

Matthew Hayden

That is just off the top of my head. It gives me a warm feeling that list.

No wonder you like cricket. You are genetically predisposed to love it!

I saw the West Indies play New Zealand in Trinidad when I was young. I liked it then, but I never followed it closely. Brian Lara was such a huge national hero at the time (still is).

I recently started watching again and I'm enjoying it a lot.

I saw the West Indies play New Zealand in Trinidad when I was young. I liked it then, but I never followed it closely. Brian Lara was such a huge national hero at the time (still is).

I recently started watching again and I'm enjoying it a lot.

Did you ever own or play Brian Lara Cricket for the PSone?

Australia was so bloody good in that period. So many fantastic players, truly the first 'Galacticos' team in International cricket.

Shane Warne

The Waugh Brothers

Jason Gillespie

David Boon

Brett Lee

Adam Gilchrist

Allan Border

Ian Healy

Merv Hughes

Glenn McGragh

Ricky Ponting

Matthew Hayden

That is just off the top of my head. It gives me a warm feeling that list.

I would say Bradman's Invincibles were as good, and they were more than just Galacticos. They were called Invincibles because they didn't lose a single test in 1948, not even warm up matches against county teams:

Morris (3533 career runs)

Barnes (1072 career runs, averaged 63)

Bradman (6996 runs, averaged 99.94)

Harvey (6149 runs)

Toshack (47 wickets, averaged 21)

Hassett (3078 runs)

Loxton (6249 runs, 232 wickets, rarely got a chance for the national team)

Lindwall (1502 runs, 228 wickets)

Miller (2958 runs, 170 wickets)

Johnston (160 wickets)

Fuck off, you live in Liverpool! :Goober:

I also support the Arsenal of cricket :blush:

I couldn't think of anyone richer, lol.

Also my comparisons for Sri Lanka, South Africa, West Indies and Pakistan are perfect! :D

yeah. also, the fact about being disliked by neutrals. i myself dislike india's power-hungry policy to rule world cricket

if not for the batsmen we have produced, i would have stopped following indian cricket