The Pub - Discuss Anything

Manuf

They're starting to sell some belgian beers here in my city. I've already come across a few of them like Duvel. Still haven't bought any though.

Only now? That is what happens when you love in Joao Pessoa! :lol:

When will Starbucks arrive though? LOL!

Thanks for the last couple of pages, guys. Very informative reading about your countries...now excuse me while I go commit suicide..

I was once told proper Lebanese people all moved to Brazil and only the fake one lives in Lebanon nowadays...

Or wait... I think I'll stay here and enjoy being paid to educate myself.... :wub:

How much is the state paying you to study in Denmark? Here in Finland it's around €500 a month and the university education itself is 'free'. Being one of the most expensive countries in the world that allowance only covers for around half the basic living expenses and for the rest we need to have a job or a loan.

Personally I would much rather have a system where students would pay a tuition fee to study but then have lower taxes when working. People from low income families like myself would get a loan with a reasonable payment plan from the state to cover the tuition so the education would still be available for everyone like it is now. The way it is currently, anyone with a university degree will have paid the price of their education multiple times over in taxes by the time they retire but paying for just their own tuition would have them make way more money for themselves sooner or later. Another downside to this 'free' education is when some people just enter a university because they can and abuse the student benefit system despite having no intention of ever graduating. That way these fuckers cost the state a lot of money each year without giving anything in return and at the same time they take the place in the university from someone who might actually be interested in studying. If everyone paid at least something for their education, people would think twice before starting to study something they already know they don't really give a fuck about.

Free public healthcare is a nice idea but in reality it's not as perfect as some people think, at least not in here. Sure, everyone gets treated sooner or later and it's nice to know that even those at the very bottom of the foodchain will get at least some care and not end up on the street if they don't have money but the quality of the service is more often than not second rate and the people who are able end up paying the premium price for private healthcare anyway because they don't wish to wait weeks or even months to be treated. Basically working people pay twice for their healthcare, once in their taxes for the public healthcare which they don't even use and then for the private care. For example, my father had a brain tumor last year. He was supposed to undergo a surgery 'as soon as possible' when the diagnosis was made in June but for some bizarre reason the cunts didn't even put him on the waiting list as they thought it was perfectly okay for him to live with excruciating headaches everyday for the rest of his life. My dad thought he was on the list and when he repeatedly asked them when his surgery would be they didn't even bother giving him an answer. He waited for around three months and when nothing happened he took it upon himself to get a second opinion from a private doctor his employer pays for and after that it didn't take long till he got his surgery.

I'm not saying we should get rid of the current structure and I'm very thankful that we have at least some healthcare and education that is available for everyone because I know there are so many people in this world who aren't as lucky, but it still annoys me that the system is flawed and filled with abusers. It's funny to hear some Americans moan about their social structure and go on about how well things are here in the Nordic countries but how many of them would be willing to pay maybe three times the amount of taxes to get what we have here? People are funny that way. The ones who do well over there get all guilty when they see a homeless person on the street or seeing someone not getting the healthcare they require because they can't afford it but I don't think many of them would be willing to make the switch to our system if it meant that on a personal level they get only half the amount of money they do now.

Rant over.

How much is the state paying you to study in Denmark? Here in Finland it's around €500 a month and the university education itself is 'free'. Being one of the most expensive countries in the world that allowance only covers for around half the basic living expenses and for the rest we need to have a job or a loan.

Personally I would much rather have a system where students would pay a tuition fee to study but then have lower taxes when working. People from low income families like myself would get a loan with a reasonable payment plan from the state to cover the tuition so the education would still be available for everyone like it is now. The way it is currently, anyone with a university degree will have paid the price of their education multiple times over in taxes by the time they retire but paying for just their own tuition would have them make way more money for themselves sooner or later. Another downside to this 'free' education is when some people just enter a university because they can and abuse the student benefit system despite having no intention of ever graduating. That way these fuckers cost the state a lot of money each year without giving anything in return and at the same time they take the place in the university from someone who might actually be interested in studying. If everyone paid at least something for their education, people would think twice before starting to study something they already know they don't really give a fuck about.

Free public healthcare is a nice idea but in reality it's not as perfect as some people think, at least not in here. Sure, everyone gets treated sooner or later and it's nice to know that even those at the very bottom of the foodchain will get at least some care and not end up on the street if they don't have money but the quality of the service is more often than not second rate and the people who are able end up paying the premium price for private healthcare anyway because they don't wish to wait weeks or even months to be treated. Basically working people pay twice for their healthcare, once in their taxes for the public healthcare which they don't even use and then for the private care. For example, my father had a brain tumor last year. He was supposed to undergo a surgery 'as soon as possible' when the diagnosis was made in June but for some bizarre reason the cunts didn't even put him on the waiting list as they thought it was perfectly okay for him to live with excruciating headaches everyday for the rest of his life. My dad thought he was on the list and when he repeatedly asked them when his surgery would be they didn't even bother giving him an answer. He waited for around three months and when nothing happened he took it upon himself to get a second opinion from a private doctor his employer pays for and after that it didn't take long till he got his surgery.

I'm not saying we should get rid of the current structure and I'm very thankful that we have at least some healthcare and education that is available for everyone because I know there are so many people in this world who aren't as lucky, but it still annoys me that the system is flawed and filled with abusers. It's funny to hear some Americans moan about their social structure and go on about how well things are here in the Nordic countries but how many of them would be willing to pay maybe three times the amount of taxes to get what we have here? People are funny that way. The ones who do well over there get all guilty when they see a homeless person on the street or seeing someone not getting the healthcare they require because they can't afford it but I don't think many of them would be willing to make the switch to our system if it meant that on a personal level they get only half the amount of money they do now.

Rant over.

Um, pay is almost 6000 DKK roughly which is roughly 800 euros. It is more than enough to pay for rent, food, books, insurance and all basic needs. If you want to spend loads of money in the weekends, then you'd probably need a job in your sparetime :)