Ramires

DavidEU

I'm of the view that Rami is a tremendous player for us if we're set up to play on the break, where his burning pace and stamina can exploit gaps in the defence and open up room for others. But against teams that sit back and deep, he doesn't really add much to our play as we need someone more controlled and composed.

I think Rami is best suited to play in the big games where we let other teams take the initiative and while we play on the counter. Against the smaller teams like WHU or WBA, might be worth exploring playing Oscar in the pivot with Matic, having Hazard as CAM and having Schurrle / Salah on the wings with Willian.

1- Lampard in the old days would not be playing in the pivot. Even tough some supid commentators in Brazil said such a thing back then, Lampard was never a DM. Morphing Matic into a new Lampard does not make sense at all, and if such a thing happens it means Matic wont be playing in the pivot.

2- As someone said before, you are suggesting that Mourinho should build a midfield around Matic. Just wait a while before jumping into those kind of conclusions. Matic is a good player, yeah, but he was playing in portuguese league and Chelsea was the only big european club really interested. He is far from a HUGE name, he might be one day.

3- In the beginning of the season Ramires was one of our most consistent players, and now we have this kind of silly comment: "its time to sell Ramires because we got Matic".

4- You just wish we had a better player than Ramires. I just wish we had a "proper" RB, instead of Ivanovic, I just wish we had a proper LB, instead of a so-so RB playing out of position, I just with we had a better player than Hazard (Messi or Ronaldo would have killed the game today, right), a better player than Willian (Ronaldo and Messi instead of Hazard and Willian would be a HUUUGE improvement, what do you think), I just wish we had better DM than Matic (Xuaistaiger would be perfect, or perhaps we could buy Iniesta and Xavi and morph them into a proper DM player).

Just saying you want a better player than Ramires is not enough. Who are those players? are they available? How they will fit in Mourinho system? Mata is a better player than Salah, no question about that, but Salah is just better to what Mourinho want him to do. Thats why one was sold, and the other one just arrived.

Football is complicated. Coming to a football forum and complaining about a player's weakness is easy. Thats why we have NBA All Stars game. You can choose all the best players in the world in every position, and all you have to do is a "click".

Matic is the DM. since Chelsea play 2 players in the middle most of the times, Midfielder next to him would ideally have better technique/passing than Ramires. . Toni Kroos is apparently available listening to what Guardiola is saying at Bayern. there's also Pogba, Gundogan, back problems aside all quality options. also van ginkel, romeu

his situation is very similar to Mata in the last two years. When we had a dire AM for years, Mata arrived and it seemed like the second coming. Rami looked absolutely amazing in the terrible pivot we've had for so many years. Now we have some class and a technical player at Matic and he makes Rami look really, really, really poor.

Yes, there's the stamina, the pace, even the tackles, and all those things are good, but they're not enough, simple as that.

Has he scored some important goals? For sure, to which I'm very thankful. Did he carry our pivot for a while? Yes, he did. Doesn't change the fact he is very poor technically and a very frustrating player...

Now we have Matic we should be raising our stakes. We have pace in Salah and Andr¨¦, we don't need to keep Ramires simply because of his versatility playing as a RW, but Mourinho won't give up on a player like him... unfortunately. I've never been a fan of his, but his good doings for us in the last couple of seasons made me forget how I used to dislike him... now he seems to remember me of that every match (even though I haven't watch today's and don't plan to)

I wish we had a better partner for Matic. We needed someone that was like Lamps on his best days. That's the perfect partner for Matic as he (Matic) can hold himself in the DM position well enough. Either we get a new Lamps or we get a more defensive midfielder and morph Matic in a new Lamps. Either way, the time has come when Ramires shouldn't be more than a squad player in this team and we should accept offers for him if they come (and they're good). Having Matic but not having someone as good to be his partner only attenuates the problem. Matic is a HUGE improvement to our pivot(infinitely more than Rami was when he settled - let's not forget it took him almost two seasons to settle), but to capitalize everything he can bring to us, we should get him a better partner. Maybe van Ginkel could be the one - for the future. Haven't seen enough of Marco to say it. I just wish we had someone better than Ramires...

I agree with everyone who's said he wouldn't be a starting player in any top-class team in the world. Why should we accept it then? It has nothing to do with ungratefulness - people tend to relate you wanting an improvement with not respecting the past and services done by a player - but this is about us being in a new level now and therefore requiring a better pivot. We won't make it to the next level of competitiveness with the best in Europe with Ramires as our indisputable midfielder... it makes no sense

Exactly, ramires is now reminding me of how he used to be during ancellotis days.

He is just having a bad run of form like a normal player, but his technical liability just seems to make things worse. I suggested that lamps should be starting against the smaller teams because he offers a lot going forward. But ramires is very good in the big games.

I honestly don't think he'll be able to start for Brazil in the world cup. What are the Brazilian fans saying about him in Brazil?

He had a bad game yesterday, but talk about exaggeration...To begin with, no one had an outstanding game for us, no one, so it's not like it was only Rami who under-performed. Plus, we all know that his biggest assets has always been his energy and his runs which he obviously can't do when opponents sit deep. He always plays worse against teams that defend deep, we already know that.

I have always said that Rambo is a great player to have in the squad.Whenever you play he'll play with his heart and soul not to mention he is very very effective against teams who will attack us in numbers but he'll look useless against teams which wont give him space to run into like West Brom.Next season we really should buy a proper DLP so that we can use Rambo in the most effective way,He'll still be a crucial part of the team just not an out and out starter like he is nowadays.

A good squad option but he should really be no more than that given how many mistakes he makes in a match. To those that keep defending Ramires, are you honestly saying that you aren't worried about him giving the ball away or breaking down an attack pretty much every time he gets the ball? Because I am, and I'm sure a lot of others are too. I can't understand why Mourinho likes him at all, tbh. Even a 35-year-old Lampard, whose natural position is not the pivot, offers more than Ramires does there. If only he were younger then I'm sure he'd definitely play more often over Ramires. Really hoping we can get a good CM to partner Matic in the summer but I'm not too hopeful as I think we're just looking for a striker and possibly a LB.

I think its really strange how people love new players. Just wait weeks and months to choose Matic over Ramires. This is the 2nd time I watched Matic in his return (I was travelling untill days ago). Some people said he was great against City, but to be honest today he was just average. He received lots of votes for the man of the match, but its just the "new face in town" effect. Won some challenges but I just get feeling he is little bit harsh, most of his challengers end up as a foul. Well, only my 2nd game impression, it takes more than one big game against City to evaluate a player.

Its just really odd how many people voted for a DM for man of the match when for the 90% of the 2nd half West Browinch had lots of space in the midfield.

Pretty interesting point here.

I remember how many people where wanking of after David Luiz got here in that January transfer window.

The honeymoon period....

Matic is the DM. since Chelsea play 2 players in the middle most of the times, Midfielder next to him would ideally have better technique/passing than Ramires. . Toni Kroos is apparently available listening to what Guardiola is saying at Bayern. there's also Pogba, Gundogan, back problems aside all quality options. also van ginkel, romeu

Again you are making things look simple. Is easy to look at Ramires and think: I wish Ramires had better passing. Well, but you might find a midfielder with a better passing, but will you find a DM with better passing and with the same stamina and speed Ramires has?

You ara talking about Gundogan. Do you imagine how much he would cost? With no proper full backs, striker problems, I'm really dont believe some people believe Ramires is soo poor that we should be thinking about buying another DM in near future, just because we bought a bew DM, and well, he needs a player to suit him. Next step: buy a new attacking midfielder to suit Matic + Gundogan.

Ramires has fantastic pace, stamina and agility. They enable him to get into positions faster than any other player. His problem is what he does when he get's there.

He's the equivalent of using a sports car to move furniture. The car will get there quicker than a van but it's about as much use as a chocolate teapot when it does.

It's all fine and dandy, but when Mourinho philosophy is of being a counter attacking team, then when a team that gives us the ball we have a hard time.

You can criticize Ramires all you want, but its the philosophy that which we are setting up for that makes it hard when we are face in such a situation.

This is why our defense must be really good, cause if we get a goal out of nowhere like we did with WBA we must be able to defend to the death.

Again you are making things look simple. Is easy to look at Ramires and think: I wish Ramires had better passing. Well, but you might find a midfielder with a better passing, but will you find a DM with better passing and with the same stamina and speed Ramires has?

You ara talking about Gundogan. Do you imagine how much he would cost? With no proper full backs, striker problems, I'm really dont believe some people believe Ramires is soo poor that we should be thinking about buying another DM in near future, just because we bought a bew DM, and well, he needs a player to suit him. Next step: buy a new attacking midfielder to suit Matic + Gundogan.

no. rami was decent and consistent in the first half of the season. but stamina and speed is not important when teams park the bus vs Chelsea. with lampard getting old too, there will be a gap for amidfield player. mostly van Ginkel since the club obviously trusted him to be in the squad this season

Atrocious again. And the worst thing is it seems Mourinho really likes him and will not replace his next season. I don't understand all the BS about him being good defensively for the team... since when is a player that wants to spend forever on the ball thereby being dispossessed constantly, that offers no physical presence and can be brushed aside, that refuses to close down the opposition when they're about to cross the ball, and that cannot make the simplest of passes a good defensive option?

Honestly, whoever brought up the idea of playing Ramires out wide needs to be crucified. He's completely useless in that position and AVB, RDM, Benitez and Mourinho have all used him to stifle the opposition threat on the RW and/or when we play on that counter. However, once that plan goes out of the window like today after we conceded so early, then Ramires practically becomes a useless and disposable player. He doesn't even have the skill, ability and technique to take on and beat players with the ball especially when the opposition is defending. He's only useful out wide when there are spaces and gaps to break into! :doh:

Very simple.

I expect a Cm to run that pitch: check

I expect a Cm to tackle and fight: check

I do NOT expect a cm to be as bad in certain areas as he is. This is a farce. Learn to pass, learn to handle the ball. Accept the fact your football intelligence is nowhere around ....

Ps: yes, he has major positive outburts. It is just that: outbursts. I wanne yet that title with guys that are reliable the clock round more or less.