Ramires

DavidEU

Ramires is such a vital player to this football club.

Sure, he's not the most technically gifted CM out there...but his work ethic & energy on the pitch is just amazing...he's even a decent goalscorer.

We might go after a DLP type of player at the end of the season...but Ramires doesn't deserve to sit on the bench at Chelsea.

The people who said Chelsea should get rid of Ramires must be feeling pretty stupid right now!

Not at all. I'll stick by my critique of his skills because I believe it to be true. He may well have a place in the squad for games against teams like Steaua but he's not in my first team if we get the transfers right and stick with the current formation. I still think we need a playmaker like Modric and someone more solid like Mikel or possibly Chalobah.

Ramires is such a vital player to this football club.

Sure, he's not the most technically gifted CM out there...but his work ethic & energy on the pitch is just amazing...he's even a decent goalscorer.

We might go after a DLP type of player at the end of the season...but Ramires doesn't deserve to sit on the bench at Chelsea.

If you buy a DLP, where does Ramires fit in then? Let's not go overboard either - he had a good game (was MOTM for me partly because I got bored of voting for Hazard or Mata and partly because he worked hard especially considering Mikel's performance) but Steaua were very average and didn't put too much pressure on us.

Not at all. I'll stick by my critique of his skills because I believe it to be true. He may well have a place in the squad for games against teams like Steaua but he's not in my first team if we get the transfers right and stick with the current formation. I still think we need a playmaker like Modric and someone more solid like Mikel or possibly Chalobah.

If you buy a DLP, where does Ramires fit in then? Let's not go overboard either - he had a good game (was MOTM for me partly because I got bored of voting for Hazard or Mata and partly because he worked hard especially considering Mikel's performance) but Steaua were very average and didn't put too much pressure on us.

What about for games against the likes of united, arsenal, spurs where he has excelled. No need to try a belittle him and claim that teams like steau are his levels. Also you say they are a weak team, but where was Lamps last week against this so called weak team?

As I've already explained it depends on the type of DLP we get. If it is one similar to Alonso who holds his position in the centre of the park an orchestrates from deep then Ramires has to start next to him. If it is a DLP without much positional sense then he would probably start ahead of Ramires and rotate. Way too early to say he won't fit yet

What about for games against the likes of united, arsenal, spurs where he has excelled. No need to try a belittle him and claim that teams like steau are his levels. Also you say they are a weak team, but where was Lamps last week against this so called weak team?

Firstly, Lamps is on his way out. I wouldn't say he's good enough anymore either.

I've also explained why I think he does well in those games before. Do you want me to repeat that?

As I've already explained it depends on the type of DLP we get. If it is one similar to Alonso who holds his position in the centre of the park an orchestrates from deep then Ramires has to start next to him. If it is a DLP without much positional sense then he would probably start ahead of Ramires and rotate. Way too early to say he won't fit yet

I disagree. I actually think Mikel and Romeu (and maybe Chalobah) would be better in that circumstance. I like Rami, but if we're going to try and dominate possession against all the teams then I don't think he'll get many minutes.

Against teams that we plan to try and hit on the break then I think he'll be great but I don't know how many games that would actually represent and if it represents a large majority of our matches then I don't fancy our title chances.

Firstly, Lamps is on his way out. I wouldn't say he's good enough anymore either.

I've also explained why I think he does well in those games before. Do you want me to repeat that?

I disagree. I actually think Mikel and Romeu (and maybe Chalobah) would be better in that circumstance. I like Rami, but if we're going to try and dominate possession against all the teams then I don't think he'll get many minutes.

Against teams that we plan to try and hit on the break then I think he'll be great but I don't know how many games that would actually represent and if it represents a large majority of our matches then I don't fancy our title chances.

I don't agree that he is only fit for matches where we are trying to hit teams on the break. Possession requires the ability to win the ball and to keep it. Ramires, is great at winning the ball (one of the best) and poor at keeping it. His inability to keep the ball mainly comes from heavy pressing from teams. I think if we limit him to games where we are not expecting heavy pressure in the midfield, his weakness isn't really an issue. Also, it seems to me that the counter attack is an element to almost every game. Sure, there are some games where it rarely happens and some games where it is our only strategy (Barcelona, Bayern), but by in large it factors into most games. With that said, I definitely think we need to bring somebody new in. I think we can count on being pressured a fair amount, so he would need to be rotated often. Unlike some, I don't want a playmaker type like Modric or Benat. In our 4-2-3-1 we are very weak physically up front (Oscar, Mata and Hazard), to compensate for that I think we need somebody well rounded with excellent athleticism, strength, passing and ball winning skills. Of course, it is hard to find a player like that (Chalobah?), but I think that it a must for our system to work.

I don't agree that he is only fit for matches where we are trying to hit teams on the break. Possession requires the ability to win the ball and to keep it. Ramires, is great at winning the ball (one of the best) and poor at keeping it. His inability to keep the ball mainly comes from heavy pressing from teams. I think if we limit him to games where we are not expecting heavy pressure in the midfield, his weakness isn't really an issue. Also, it seems to me that the counter attack is an element to almost every game. Sure, there are some games where it rarely happens and some games where it is our only strategy (Barcelona, Bayern), but by in large it factors into most games. With that said, I definitely think we need to bring somebody new in. I think we can count on being pressured a fair amount, so he would need to be rotated often. Unlike some, I don't want a playmaker type like Modric or Benat. In our 4-2-3-1 we are very weak physically up front (Oscar, Mata and Hazard), to compensate for that I think we need somebody well rounded with excellent athleticism, strength, passing and ball winning skills. Of course, it is hard to find a player like that (Chalobah?), but I think that it a must for our system to work.

Can't disagree with any of that really. I've actually thought myself that we could have to stronger players in that double pivot who would provide a stable platform for the front four. Chalobah and Ramires might be perfect for that.

I'm not against having Rami in the team but it has to be under the right circumstances. If we go for a ball-player like Modric then I think he's the wrong player. If we go with a more physical middle two, then he does have a place. He seems to do well in a similar system for Brazil where he's one of the workers in their 4222 so it could work for us in all of our matches.

Can't disagree with any of that really. I've actually thought myself that we could have to stronger players in that double pivot who would provide a stable platform for the front four. Chalobah and Ramires might be perfect for that.

I'm not against having Rami in the team but it has to be under the right circumstances. If we go for a ball-player like Modric then I think he's the wrong player. If we go with a more physical middle two, then he does have a place. He seems to do well in a similar system for Brazil where he's one of the workers in their 4222 so it could work for us in all of our matches.

He does 'well' for Brazil because he plays alongside a physical CM/DM in Paulinho or Sandro...

I still think a 4-3-3 would be a good option for Chelsea.

GK: Cech

Defence: Azpi - (X) - Luiz/Cahill - Cole

Midfield: Ramires/ Oscar - DLP - Mikel / (X)

Attacking Midfield: Mata --- Hazard

Striker: (X)

Key: (X) just means I'm not sure who will play those positions next season..

Always loved this guy and especially when he drives into forward positions. His ball control is not always great but his runs always cause problems to the opposite defense. I would mind to continue with a midfield consisting of Mikel, Ramires and Oscar with Torres/Ba, Hazard and Mata upfront. Both Hazard and Mata will have some freedom to drift inside or switch positions in such a scenario of course. Alternatively, Mata could take a starting position in midfield in stead of Oscar.

But the point is we weren't hitting the macs, spurs or Arsenal on the break in those matches. We actually went toe to toe with them and dominated with Ramires excelling. He may be at his best on the counter, but he is still a good player even when we try to dominate as he can make his runs from deep to unsettle the opposition defence from

their structures.

He's currently better than all 3 of those players

Like it or not, he is currently the best player to partner Mikel in the pivot and it's been proven time and time again this season. And that's not because Ramis is suited to play in the pivot but because all our other options are just not good enough.

Like it or not, he is currently the best player to partner Mikel in the pivot and it's been proven time and time again this season. And that's not because Ramis is suited to play in the pivot but because all our other options are just not good enough.

Yeah agree. Don't think there's much point speculating on his role next season either as we don't even know what our options will be! Should just enjoy the great performances he is putting in currently :)

Yeah agree. Don't think there's much point speculating on his role next season either as we don't even know what our options will be! Should just enjoy the great performances he is putting in currently :)

Exactly! We don't even know what formation the next manager is going to play.

Exactly! We don't even know what formation the next manager is going to play.

We have put together quite the stockpile of attacking midfielders (Mata, Hazard, Oscar, De Bruyne, Piazon, Moses, Marin); Because of that I have a hard time seeing us going away from the 4-2-3-1.

We have put together quite the stockpile of attacking midfielders (Mata, Hazard, Oscar, De Bruyne, Piazon, Moses, Marin); Because of that I have a hard time seeing us going away from the 4-2-3-1.

But then the likes of Oscar and KDB can also play as CMs in a 433, while Mata and Hazard can also play on the wings

For all we know it could even be a change to 4222 or 4321 etc. We just simply shouldn't dispose of a key player like Ramires

Marin isn't good enough. He hasn't been trusted to play any serious minutes all season and can't get a game right now despite how short we are on players. I really don't see Piazon being a proper Chelsea player any time soon, if at all.

Doesn't De Bruyne see himself more as a central-midfielder or deep-lying playmaker as opposed to an attacking midfielder?

Hazard, Oscar, Mata and Moses have been the only serious options all season and they need more support. We need at least 2 more players of similar quality i.e. much better than Marin and Piazon if we're going to rotate properly.