Ramires

DavidEU

I had no idea he could finish with his left foot! :blink:

Another excellent finish at the end of a spectacular run. He actually started that sprint inside our box and still had the feet to get past Ferdinand and provide a decent finish a decent finish full speed. That, for me, is his best asset.

I had no idea he could finish with his left foot! :blink:

Another excellent finish at the end of a spectacular run. He actually started that sprint inside our box and still had the feet to get past Ferdinand and provide a decent finish a decent finish full speed. That, for me, is his best asset.

Running in a straight line is his best asset? :D

I'm kidding. I agree though that it pretty much summed up what he can bring to the team.

Unfortunately it's a risky tactic to play. You invite pressure on yourself by giving up possession and then have to be perfect in winning the ball from the opposition, hope they have over-committed and then fail to get back properly. It's a high risk, high reward strategy which is why I don't believe you can rely on it week-in and week-out to win a league.

His presence in the squad would offer versatility for games away to teams who will dominate possession.

Running in a straight line is his best asset? :D

I'm kidding. I agree though that it pretty much summed up what he can bring to the team.

Unfortunately it's a risky tactic to play. You invite pressure on yourself by giving up possession and then have to be perfect in winning the ball from the opposition, hope they have over-committed and then fail to get back properly. It's a high risk, high reward strategy which is why I don't believe you can rely on it week-in and week-out to win a league.

His presence in the squad would offer versatility for games away to teams who will dominate possession.

It depends on your defense, really. Jose played on the counter all his time here, but we had the best defense in the world back then. But I don't think Rami should be a starter in 4-2-3-1 if we had a proper central midfielder.

Would actually like to see more of Ramires with Mikel in the pivot. With someone sitting in there like Mikel did yesterday, it then allows Ramires to bomb forward without having to worry too much about defending and even if its needed, he has more than enough pace and stamina to chase back all game long. Also while it's obvious that Ramires is useful when we play on the counter, think he would also actually be useful in the team IF we actually press high up the pitch and attack from there rather than just sitting deep in almost every game. The first half against Arsenal at home recently showed that. I do agree that we need a midfield passer for the pivot but do think we can get more out of Ramires in the pivot if we actually start playing and pressing high up the pitch. We have the players to do that.

Would actually like to see more of Ramires with Mikel in the pivot. With someone sitting in there like Mikel did yesterday, it then allows Ramires to bomb forward without having to worry too much about defending and even if its needed, he has more than enough pace and stamina to chase back all game long. Also while it's obvious that Ramires is useful when we play on the counter, think he would also actually be useful in the team IF we actually press high up the pitch and attack from there rather than just sitting deep in almost every game. The first half against Arsenal at home recently showed that. I do agree that we need a midfield passer for the pivot but do think we can get more out of Ramires in the pivot if we actually start playing and pressing high up the pitch. We have the players to do that.

That also applies to Hazard, Oscar, Mata and Ba. It's a disgrace that we have some of the best young attacking midfielders in the world and haven't yet devised a way to make sure they always have a platform to work their magic. I understand that also requires them to work hard themselves but Oscar has shown he can, Hazard has the ability and it's only Mata who struggles in that department.

I really don't dislike Ramy, I even think hes better in the pivot then lamps with Mikel alongside him, but he has two things that he relies on, his Stamnia and his finishing.

he has a poor first touch, poor passing, poor dribbling, really ok, I forgot about his work ethic, this is something Mikel could really do with...

He is great in running and closeing players down because he puts them under pressure and is on you're neck if you get the ball. But seriously he is not the most technical gifted player I really love to see him run riot on the field and I don't think we should sell him no way... but there are defo better Mids that suit better to that pivot...

nontheless a very good second half by him... since an awfull lot of time...

That also applies to Hazard, Oscar, Mata and Ba. It's a disgrace that we have some of the best young attacking midfielders in the world and haven't yet devised a way to make sure they always have a platform to work their magic. I understand that also requires them to work hard themselves but Oscar has shown he can, Hazard has the ability and it's only Mata who struggles in that department.

Problem with the manager more than anything else. Some prefers to play deep. Some just prefers to be on the front foot. There have been a number of times where we pressed high up the pitch under RDM this season and it worked well.

Problem with the manager more than anything else. Some prefers to play deep. Some just prefers to be on the front foot. There have been a number of times where we pressed high up the pitch under RDM this season and it worked well.

That's the problem. I mean Terry has no business being a in a team that play high up the pitch and press well. Likewise Mata, Hazard have no business being anywhere near a defensive team that sits deep.

The problem is we have players suited to one style and another group of players suited to another. When we get it right it looks good but that's very rare and why we're so inconsistent.

Ramires is a great player to have. I think he's fantastic. He runs and runs and doesn't seem to get tired. He was bombing forward all game and still had juice in the tank to pelt it back to his position when we were caught out. He's not a great finisher (good goal yesterday though), or a great tackler tbh, but his pure athleticism has been key in so many of our important victories. Keep him around until he can't run around like he does now. I think he is at his peak in his career

Against teams like this he can shine, but I still think we need to replace him in the team with someone able to control the tempo of the game better. That is not, and will never be his game. He has a particularly skill set and that can garner results in games like yesterday's where teams put pressure on you and leave gaps when they transition into defence. That's EXACTLY how he scored his goal and was also how he scored against Barcelona and Tottenham.

I like the guy, I like his commitment and I like his engine. He's like a terrier who will chase the other team all day and you can certainly win cups doing that.

But my opinion is that to win the league you need someone who controls the game and forces the opposition to run around for 90 minutes. That isn't Rami and we knew that when we bought him. So he may well have a place in the squad but if we're going to challenge for the league I think we need someone else to play the majority of games.

Think I've already answered this twice. I think he should be playing the majority of games, most of our recent managers have agreed with this. We'll see what happens next season, but he's a big game player and is scapegoated far too often. He doesn't have to be the one sacrificed. He can play next to someone who can pass, hold his position etc, but I've explained this already.

If we're going to win the League we need to someone to retrieve the ball and do the dirty work. Ramires will be our man to do so.

Think I've already answered this twice. I think he should be playing the majority of games, most of our recent managers have agreed with this.

And everyone agrees that we need a playmaker in that position too.

We'll see what happens next season, but he's a big game player and is scapegoated far too often. He doesn't have to be the one sacrificed. He can play next to someone who can pass, hold his position etc, but I've explained this already.

If we're going to win the League we need to someone to retrieve the ball and do the dirty work. Ramires will be our man to do so.

If we're going to play with a two-man midfield, then one will need to hold and one will dictate the play. The latter needs to be bought, the former will be one of Mikel, Romeu or Chalobah. If you include Ramires then you are basically saying that you're going to let the other team dictate the play and we'll try and hit you on the break. That may well have it's place in certain games, but I don't think he'll play the majority of games if things go to plan.

As I've said, I think you can win cups with a player like Ramires playing consistently but I don't think you can win leagues like that. You can't rely on teams attacking you and you hitting them on the break. Too many teams will sit back and you have to be perfect in your execution which is impossible 100% of the time.

If we're going to play with a two-man midfield, then one will need to hold and one will dictate the play. The latter needs to be bought, the former will be one of Mikel, Romeu or Chalobah. If you include Ramires then you are basically saying that you're going to let the other team dictate the play and we'll try and hit you on the break. That may well have it's place in certain games, but I don't think he'll play the majority of games if things go to plan.

As I've said, I think you can win cups with a player like Ramires playing consistently but I don't think you can win leagues like that. You can't rely on teams attacking you and you hitting them on the break. Too many teams will sit back and you have to be perfect in your execution which is impossible 100% of the time.

That is just one example of a double pivot. You can have one player who is capable of holding while also being able to be a playmaker from deep and dictate things, while the player next to him plays box to box and recovers the ball for the team. See the midfield 2 that Madrid play with Alonso and Khedira as an example. Khedira has more technical ability than Ramires, but they are similar players in there terrier-like approach to the game. Then they have Alonso to hold and dictate things. Bayern did a similar thing last season with Gustavo and Schweinsteiger. Gustavo was the ball winner while Schweinsteiger was deep lying playmaker. Ramires doesn't have to be the one that is sacrificed, it could equally be Mikel or Romeu depending on the player we bring in. If it is someone in the Alonso mould then Ramires should start as he'll be needed for ball recovery while the other midfielder dictates. If it's someone who's a bit more offensive then it has to be Mikel/Romeu who holds next too him. There isn't one set way for a midfield 2 to be played, it all depends on the discpline of the player we get in Summer, so I wouldn't have your heart set on Ramires not playing majority of matches because managers have tended to see the importance of Ramires and his qualities.

Mate you've said that about 5 times now, don't think I need to reply to that anymore

credit to Ramires for his performance at OT but yeah. i agree. i wouldn't have him as a definite starter in the pivot. more of a backup option to change the game perhaps with more running from midfield. his goals invariably come from counters - vs Villa, vs Wigan, vs ManU...