Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

Nathaniel Chalobah

Clevemayer
Followers 3

Chalobah doesn't do enough defensively to warrant a deep midfield role imo. He's got good technical ability and decent size but workrate is lacking imo.

If you aren't going to be a deep midfielder who can also break up attacks and defend, then you need to be a CM who can make forward runs and score and assist. He does neither at a high level imo. It's good to see him doing well at Reading but something is off about him.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's the goal. Just seen it. WOW!

Chalobah is proper Chelsea. That standing up for a teammate was JT-esque.

I think the best compliment I can give Nate for his performance, not just today, but throughout this season , is that I would not panic if Matic and Cesc were out from a match and we had to start him.

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

If we sell Moses to Stoke imo that'd be a good loan team for him next season. Then we'll see what his first team future looks like, pending Koke, RLC, Mikel, and Ramires' futures. Because this lad could easily replace both Ramires and Mikel.

Chalobah doesn't do enough defensively to warrant a deep midfield role imo. He's got good technical ability and decent size but workrate is lacking imo.

If you aren't going to be a deep midfielder who can also break up attacks and defend, then you need to be a CM who can make forward runs and score and assist. He does neither at a high level imo. It's good to see him doing well at Reading but something is off about him.

You've just described Mikel...:) well minus the technical ability assuming Nathaniel can hit long balls.

And Nat can still improve a lot including upping his work rate and awareness.

tbh i thought he was average as a school chicken pie while at Watford and i pretended otherwise because of blue tinted glasses. I wouldn't have done so had i knew the likes of Musonda, Boga, Loftus and co would all do what he did at youth level X10. as a person i'm sure he is very intelligent, but as a player, not so much. reminds me of Bramble which sounds harsh but whatever, opinions are opinions.

*Actually maybe i didn't pretend. At the time, I was checking his highlights on MOTD and thinking "ok, he has something", but on reflection, i just don't think he did, and if he did, he's definitely not built on it.

'but he's young, give him time'

i will

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Still think the kid has a future here and just hasn't been given a fair chance at all. He can at least do a job as a squad player IMO. His physique has matured loads, filled himself really well, and his tactical acumen is improving. Wish Jose gave him a chance.

• 4 weeks later...

How was he tonight? i've seen only few minutes during he had one beautiful and one awful pass

Reading twitter , he didn't get enough of the ball and had bad work rate.

Everyone is talking about how good carvalho and bernardo silva are.

Portugal next star, been very impressive at Monaco.

As for Chalobah; why has he been turned into a DM/CM? his potential at CB was much higher.

Seems like in England they turn any decent ball playing CBs into DMs.

• Like 2

From what i saw he seemed too passive at moments hiding behind portugal players instead of freeing himself and providing easy pass options. Wonder whether he was like that whole game?

• Like 1

I thought he was pretty good. The rest of the midfield around him was utter shite though, like just unbelievably shite.

I like Nate as a lad but he clearly is not Chelsea standard and needs to sort himself out a new club. He was comprehensively outplayed by Carvalho last night. Not in the sense that they went one on one but Carvalho looked a potential player who calmly gave structure to his side, Nate did not. It was a poor selection by Southgate and a decision which contributed directly to the fact that we lost.

I like Nate as a lad but he clearly is not Chelsea standard and needs to sort himself out a new club. He was comprehensively outplayed by Carvalho last night. Not in the sense that they went one on one but Carvalho looked a potential player who calmly gave structure to his side, Nate did not. It was a poor selection by Southgate and a decision which contributed directly to the fact that we lost.

Difference is willian is rated very highly around the globe, chalobah is rated highly by a few fans.