Sam Hutchinson

.Cee

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

NEW DEAL FOR HUTCHINSON

Sam Hutchinson has signed a new one-and-a-half year contract with Chelsea Football Club.

The 22-year-old defender, a product of the club's Academy, has made seven appearances for the reserve team this season following a significant improvement in a knee problem that forced him to announce retirement from professional football in August 2010.

Hutchinson continued to work in the Academy and was pursuing coaching qualifications. During this period a decision was made that he is able resume competitive football.

'It is great news I have signed a contract,' Hutchinson told the official Chelsea website.

'It is great to be back and I am looking forward to the future. I take it week by week and it is a slow process. I am still not out of rehabilitation but I am playing 90-minute games and feeling really fit.

'I have progressed from a month of three days training and then a day off to four days training and then a day off, so everything is going really well. It is important now to stick to the plan and listen to the doctors and progress from there.'

Hutchinson will continue to be part of the reserve team squad under the management of Dermot Drummy.

'I want to thank [Academy manager] Neil Bath, he has been brilliant with me and I don't think I would be here without him,' Hutchinson said, 'and my family and Dermot have been great as well, as have Chelsea as a whole.'

Bath added: 'Sam signed a one-and-a-half year contract and should he make progress, we anticipate there could be a further contract but he is still going through the very end stages of rehab and he is still not training with first-team-type loading in terms of intensity and demands.

'The plan is that Sam will gradually build up training intensity going into January.

'He was coaching a little and realised that the pain wasn't there anymore and although it is fantastic news because we have a player who has been with us since he was seven who we thought had retired, it is a case of every six weeks, let's visit where we are at.

'It is looking good that he will have a professional living in the game but we have to stay patient with the plan.'

Having made his debut in May 2007, Hutchinson has started one game for Chelsea's first team and made three sub appearances.

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~2534355,00.html