Guus Hiddink on his way back to Chelsea at Frank Arnesen’s expense

the wes

Guus Hiddink is in line for a dramatic return to Chelsea next summer, with Frank Arnesen's future as sporting director still in doubt.

Afteran extraordinary week in which chief executive Peter Kenyon left hisfull-time role to be replaced by Ron Gourlay, Hiddink is now ready tocome back as an executive director after he has taken Russia to theWorld Cup finals.

The return of Hiddink would be enormouslypopular with fans and players, who warmed to his engaging style in thefive months in which he took over the first team last season, whichculminated in Chelsea winning the FA Cup.

Hiddink hasalways said that he might return to Chelsea as an adviser, though onlyafter he has fulfilled his responsibilities with Russia who, underHiddink's guidance, are on the verge of qualifying for 2010.

Hiddink'scontract expires in the summer and at that point he will be free toassume a role in the Chelsea boardroom and may even be appointedsporting director to replace Arnesen.

Ironically, Hiddink andArnesen had a fruitful working relationship at Chelsea last season eventhough they had fallen out working together at PSV Eindhoven. DuringHiddink's brief tenure at Chelsea, Arnesen was promoted to his role ofsporting director.

Hiddink may argue for Arnesen to beretained, though the failure of his youth academy to produce enoughplayers for the first team has made him vulnerable and his jobprospects are likely to hinge on the Gael Kakuta case.

Arnesenwas instrumental in moving the 16-year-old to Chelsea, which resultedin the club receiving a one-year transfer ban, after being found guiltyby FIFA of inducing Kakuta to break his contract.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1214756/Guus-Hiddink-way-Chelsea-Frank-Arnesen-s-expense.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0RcKdmhQk

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiddink already has a role at the club, doesn't he; Technical Director? Whether he does or he doesn't, I think he is someone who would be fantastic at Arnesen's job.

I read that on Wikipaedia about him being Technical Director and wasn't sure if that was up-to-date as I know the information in Wikipaedia can't always be trusted. Just looked on the official website and unless I've missed something I couldn't see him listed under the Club information bit or the Management team.