Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

Tom Taiwo on loan at Carlisle

Carlisle have bolstered their ranks with the loan signing of Chelsea youngster Tom Taiwo. The 19-year-old midfielder is to sign a six-month deal with the Cumbrians that will keep him at Brunton Park until the end of December.

Taiwo spent his youth career with Leeds before heading to Chelsea in 2006 and taking a place in their academy.

He spent a month on loan with Port Vale at the start of last season and will now gain more experience with Greg Abbottspacer.gif's Carlisle.spacer.gif

Taiwo will link up with his new team-mates when they get together for their pre-season training camp in Colchester on Monday.

Source: Sky Sports

Edited by EskWeston

• 1 month later...

If Carlisle United supporters are a touch surprised to see teenager TomTaiwo emerging as one of their most influential players in the earlyweeks of the season, their feeling is shared by the young man himself.

The Chelsea loanee was drafted into the squad in pre-season with a brief to understudy Carlisle’s more experienced middle men.

That he has claimed and then retained a place in Greg Abbott’s sidefor all five of their games so far is not just down to the injuriessuffered by Paul Thirlwell and Marc Bridge-Wilkinson.

It should be remembered that Taiwo actually played his way into theteam for the season’s opener against Brentford through the strength ofhis pre-season performances.

Now, on the back of the first man-of-the-match award of his careerin the weekend defeat against Exeter, he prepares for a crack atChampionship side Bristol City with all the confidence and hunger hehas exhibited on the grass.

Not a bad introduction to football at a demanding level for a playerwho did not expect to be in United’s front ranks quite so quickly.

“Definitely not,” was Taiwo’s response to the question about whetherhe presumed first-team football would be instantly available when hejoined United on a six-month loan in July.

“I looked at the quality of the midfielders here, saw MarcBridge-Wilkinson, Paul Thirlwell and Graham Kavanagh and thought it wasgoing to be a tough slog,” he added.

“Unfortunately for the club – but fortunately for myself – injurieshave meant I have had a good chance of starting most of the games.”

It is a modest appraisal from the former Leeds trainee, but it wouldtake a brave manager to cast Taiwo out of his side now, even thoughcaptain Thirlwell is on the brink of a return from a calf problem.

Carlisle’s defeat on Saturday could in no way be attributed toTaiwo, whose performance was another mini-masterclass of midfieldaggression.

And United’s more encouraging results so far, against Oldham,Millwall and Stockport, have had plenty to do with the 19-year-old’sbite and energy against more seasoned opponents.

It comes as little surprise, then, to hear him brush aside thefrustrating Exeter defeat and train his mind on the next challenge.

“The gaffer said at full-time he was disappointed with the resultbut pleased with the performance, and that’s the way we’ve got to lookat it,” he said.

“If you are losing and playing poorly, it’s time to panic. But we played well and we have to build on the performance.

“I was very pleased to get my first man-of-the-match award, butthere were a lot of good performances out there, such as Joe Anyinsahwho got a standing ovation. It wasn’t just me.

“Sometimes when you get beat you haven’t even deserved to get close.On Saturday we definitely deserved all three points, and it was veryfrustrating.

“We carried on creating good chances and I just thought we wereextremely unlucky. It was a blip in terms of the result, but not in theperformance. If anything, we played a bit better than we did atStockport, where we won.

“It’s just about being ruthless, getting more shots on target. I suppose it also boils down to a little bit of luck.”

Taiwo admits to have been bowled over by the welcome he has receivedat Brunton Park – “the fans, the management and the staff have all beenbrilliant” – and is quick to praise his older midfield partner forplaying an important role in his development.

Graham Kavanagh gives Taiwo fully 16 years and the player-coach’sexperience is rubbing off on the younger member of the engine room pair.

“He is a top-class player who has played at the highest level,” said Taiwo. “It’s a great learning curve for me.”

As, no doubt, will be the chance to confront a higher class of opponent at Ashton Gate tonight.

“After playing against top teams like Hull and Middlesbrough in pre-season, I would love to play in this one as well,” he said.

Whatever the outcome against Gary Johnson’s Championship troops, thelikelihood is that Carlisle’s teenage warrior will leave his mark.

Source: Times & Star Link

• 3 months later...

Tom has shot a Goal in his last game against Hartlepool He has now 23 Cups under his belt, two as a sub, seems like he is a big hit at carlisle...

Yes, Tom is doing very well there. And i did see his goal last night, Also Nana-Ofori got a goal for Dagenham and Redbridge last night. Not too sure how far Taiwo can go but i am sure another loan at a higher level will be good for him.

Yes, Tom is doing very well there. And i did see his goal last night, Also Nana-Ofori got a goal for Dagenham and Redbridge last night. Not too sure how far Taiwo can go but i am sure another loan at a higher level will be good for him.

at least he is getting starts and full games unlike sinclair at wigan

• 1 month later...

It would appear as though we are letting Tom Taiwo go on a permanant deal, his current club carlise seem to be favorites to sign him but a couple of Championship clubs look to be pretty keen also. It never really looked like Tom had any chance of making it at Chelsea but he has done very well on loan and made a name for himself, now we will look to cash in on him and make some money for the academy:

Link to article

From Chelseafc.com

TAIWO MAKES MOVE PERMANENT

Posted on: Wed 06 Jan 2010 Reserve team midfielder Tom Taiwo has today (Wednesday) joined Carlisle United, signing a two-and-a half-year contract in an undisclosed deal.

The 19-year-old, who came to Chelsea from Leeds in 2006, was already on loan with the League One side and had scored once in his 28 appearances.

He made seven reserve team appearances and played 43 youth games in his time at Chelsea, having recovered from a broken leg in his first pre-season. He was capped by England at Under 16 and Under 17 level.

Chelsea Football Club thanks Tom and wishes him all the best for his career.