Grant- Ready To Buy If Quality Is Right‏

Steve

Sat, 8th Dec 2007With less than a month to go before the transfer window is thrown wide open, Avram Grant has discussed the likelihood of Chelsea entering the market.The subject has been thrown into the spotlight not just by the approaching African Cup of Nations but also by a question mark hanging over the fitness of Didier Drogba.Our topscorer is almost certain to miss tomorrow's game against Sunderland due to a chronic knee problem and surgery in the future is a possibility.With Chelsea undefeated in 14 games despite a succession of injuries, Grant does not believe the squad is deficient in cover but with the African Cup of Nations due to take two strikers and two midfielders away plus the Drogba injury uncertainty, he is open to bringing in reinforcements - as long as they meet the right criteria.'We will not find a replacement for Didier because Didier I think is the best striker in the world at the moment. But we want to have a striker in the squad and if we find someone, we will do it.'It will not be a problem of money, it will be a problem of quality. I don't want to take a striker who is not good for our quality. The right one is not easy to find.'The reason we took other players in the summer is we thought about the African Cup of Nations,' Grant added. 'We also have Michael Ballack coming back and in the next two weeks I think he will start to play. Even with the African Nations, we do not want to take players that will not be good for us in the long term.'source: Chelsea FC

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and who do you drop to play him? cos ballack will be coming back from injury too..
It doesn't matter, the fact is that we are missing a certain "type" of player in our team, that person who will open teams up through the middle of the park. It's all well and good having players like Lampard, Essien, Mikel, Ballack, Makelele and Sidwell - but they are all too similar, we need a bit of flair in the midfield to link up the attacking play better than what we are now.

hmm yea i spose but i dont no i think if we get another centre midfielder it will be to crowded and we will have to many of them, but then agine if we can find a player that is diffrent to lampard and ballack maybe he might come in handy

hmm yea i spose but i dont no i think if we get another centre midfielder it will be to crowded and we will have to many of them, but then agine if we can find a player that is diffrent to lampard and ballack maybe he might come in handy
At the end of the day we have Maka who is comming to the end of his career, and Sidwell who just doesn't look like being the sort of player we need at all. It would make perfect sense to go for the sort of player who is different to Essien, Mikel, Lamps and Ballack....And judging by the transfer roumers the club do seem to be looking for that sort of player.

It doesn't matter, the fact is that we are missing a certain "type" of player in our team, that person who will open teams up through the middle of the park. It's all well and good having players like Lampard, Essien, Mikel, Ballack, Makelele and Sidwell - but they are all too similar, we need a bit of flair in the midfield to link up the attacking play better than what we are now.
Hii think we do not need a certain "type" midfield as we have ? the 2 players in the world for opening up teams , lampard & ballack , for now at the window we need a quality forward & 1 other somewhere else , we got the keepers , defenders for now , midfield covered , i think mabey only the one , but its gotta good , can anyone fill drogbas place

Hii think we do not need a certain "type" midfield as we have ? the 2 players in the world for opening up teams , lampard & ballack , for now at the window we need a quality forward & 1 other somewhere else , we got the keepers , defenders for now , midfield covered , i think mabey only the one , but its gotta good , can anyone fill drogbas place
Ballack to a certain extent can be a playmaker but not in the way that we really need. Lampard and Ballack are the ultimate box to bo midfielders, they are not the sort of players who are going to create a piece of magic on the ball and tease their way forward. These sorts of players are the ones like Kaka, Deco, Modric ect... who have real creativity.

I always think of Joe Cole when you say playmaker though. I think maybe we should be looking to bring him back to his original position. Could sign another playmaker I too I suppose, to make sure we have two.
Yeah i agree totally. If we have 1 player in our squad who can do that role it is Joe. I can never understand when we do what we did at the weekend and play Shaun in that role and not Joe..... doesn't make much sense to me.We have creative players on the wings like Joe and Kalou but we need a bit of that down the middle as well.

I can't see us signing a van der Vaart kind of player, because we'd have to completely change our system again, probably to the diamond. The three CM's is going to be (when everyones fit), Essien and Lampard, with Maka or Mikel holding, so where would the playmaker fit?

I can't see us signing a van der Vaart kind of player, because we'd have to completely change our system again, probably to the diamond. The three CM's is going to be (when everyones fit), Essien and Lampard, with Maka or Mikel holding, so where would the playmaker fit?
Well the point is that with 3 central midfielders you should have in an ideal world a holding midfielder, a box to box midfielder and an advanced playmaker. With a holding midfielder (Mikel/Maka) and 2 box to box midfield grafters (Essien/Lampard/Ballack) i feel we are lacking somewhat. Obviously we have a lot of midfielders, but i feel it is time to sign someone who play the creative role at the expense of someone in the squad.

I think we should sign RB. If Belletti gets injured i just dont trust Ferreira anymore. With Belletti we have solved our problems with RB but we need decent backup. I think that our midfield with Lampard, Essien and Mikel is good and i just don`t know who would we drop than? We have Ballack and Makelele as backup, but it could be problem when Essien and Mikel go to ACN than we just have Lampard, Ballack, Makelele and poor Sidwell.