Carlo Cudicini

DavidEU

• 3 weeks later...

watching him live now on Friday Night Live.

People talk about beautiful players.... pffttt. as if any of them could come even close to this masterpiece.

Seriously, most handsome player ever who's played for this club.

And I'm sorry for the vain post, but I can't resist him.

• 1 year later...

CUDICINI:What’s the chances?

In his latest column, club ambassador Carlo Cudicini looks forward to Euro 2016 and the prospects for his native Italy under incoming Chelsea boss Antonio Conte…Although I am not sure which kind of formation Antonio Conte will use when he arrives at Chelsea, everywhere he has gone in the past he has played in different ways but what has been a common theme with all the systems is the mentality. It is quite an attacking mentality with the team trying to defend in the opponents’ half instead of their own half.With the Italy national side, Conte has been swapping it around although in recent games against Spain and Germany he played with a 3-4-3. Italy has a big problem now with injuries because Marco Verratti and Claudio Marchisio are not part of the team. They are two important midfielders so the manager might need to change something for Euro 2016.
"Gary Cahill will be required to show these young, talented kids in the right way."- 
Two players in the Italy squad I suggest looking out for during the tournament are Simone Zaza, a young striker who has scored a lot of goals and might have a chance to do well if he plays, and Eder. He didn’t play much recently for Inter so I am not sure he will be starting the initial game in France, but he is talented, quick and very good in one-on-ones, much like Eden Hazard. Normally Italy always has a very good striker. This time we have a few potentially good ones but not one we say we are relying on. However, because of the way Italy will play, with quite attacking football, there will be the chance to bang in a few goals.Among the Italian people there is always high expectation because in these major tournaments we normally find a way to get into the semi-finals, but the truth is in the last two World Cups, Italy didn’t manage to qualify for the knockout stages, although in the last Euros we got through to the final against Spain, so there are always hopes.Overall, Italy’s history in the European Championships is not as strong as our very good record in the World Cup but we twice got into the final over the past four tournaments. We did not win and that is quite unusual because normally when we get to that stage we are good at it, but by getting to those Euro finals it shows our football was strong.Euro 2016 will be tougher for all the injuries Italy have. This time I think it will be a good result to go through the group stage because Verratti and Marchisio are very important players and because the group is a tough one.It is an interesting group too. There are Belgium who are not only favourites to win it but are one of the favourites to win the whole tournament. Eden Hazard had an injury during the season which probably was stopping him from being in the 100 per cent form we all know, but since the last few games it looks like he is back on his form and if he is, the Belgium national team will be very happy. They are a very good team; a young team but they have been together for a while now. At the last World Cup everyone was waiting for them to shine and with all the pressure that was on them they still performed quite well, so I believe they will be in the final stages of Euro 2016 with a good chance to win it. In Vincent Kompany they have lost an important player to injury but they have the squad to cope with his absence.I work for Ireland as a coach for their Under-21 team and it is a fantastic achievement by the senior side in getting to the Euros, especially with beating Germany at home. They deserved to qualify.Unfortunately for the other teams in the group, the fourth side Sweden are not only Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Obviously Zlatan is their best player but it is a very good team and they have managed to gel around Zlatan who even at this age is still one of the best strikers.Moving away from Group E, there are a lot of Chelsea fans who will of course be supporting England at the Euros, and I think England have a genuine chance to do well. They are similar to Belgium, a young team but one that has been playing together for a few years and they have a very strong chance to go through the group. At that point, you have to take it game by game.When I mention a young team, I’m not forgetting of course that Gary Cahill is one of the older ones and he will be required to lead the way, along with Wayne Rooney, in showing these young, talented kids in the right way. Gary has experience of playing for the national team in a big tournament so he will play an important role.It is going to be a very interesting month of football for Chelsea supporters. 

chelseafc.com

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Iggy Doonican said:

Sorry mate someone who spent most of his career at Chelsea as a no 2 keeper can not be described as a legend. 

I didn't mean 'club legend', I just meant it as a player who meant a lot to me for the time he was here. Thought he was VASTLY underrated and had some excellent seasons, performances and saves for us. 

Would be delighted if he came back with Conte. Just my opinion though. 

30 minutes ago, Eidur the Spider said:

I didn't mean 'club legend', I just meant it as a player who meant a lot to me for the time he was here. Thought he was VASTLY underrated and had some excellent seasons, performances and saves for us. 

Would be delighted if he came back with Conte. Just my opinion though. 

Don't think he was underrated when he was the number one keeper. He was replaced by a better keeper Cech who with Bonetti are our best ever keepers and for want of a better word legends.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...