10. Mykhaylo Mudryk

ZAPHOD2319

7 hours ago, Blue Armour said:

I'd prefer it if the manager knew what he was doing, rather than react to what the press thinks.

If the reason he's now not playing is because Potter made him look like shit, then that's a bad precedent. Is he going to shoehorn other players into his system and destroy their confidence and form, only to shrug afterwards and say, 'hey, I tried!' ? 

It suppose it's justified if all other aspects of his system were working fine, but his team is a mess at the moment., and can't do much right.

So would we all but even the likes of Badiashile and Enzo (in some games), both January signings, have looked a lot more ready and contributed more than Mudryk has. Different positions but consistency is key.

He was always going to need time but people seem to think he is some sort of world class player and should be playing regardless for whatever reason. He is not. He is a good player but he is severely out of form and capable of playing much better than he has done. I think people are extremely keen to see him do well because we got him ahead of Arsenal.

I mean Graham Potter has a lot to answer for this season but he’d given him a fair good number of games in a row after his Liverpool cameo where he looked good. Playing in his favoured position. I’m certain he was subbed in most of them. This would usually mean the player has not had an impact in the team, meaning he was dropped for someone else the next week. Hardly a bad managerial decision if I am honest.

I only wish he’d do it with Kai also.

Edited by OneMoSalah

35 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

So would we all but even the likes of Badiashile and Enzo (in some games), both January signings, have looked a lot more ready and contributed more than Mudryk has. Different positions but consistency is key.

He was always going to need time but people seem to think he is some sort of world class player and should be playing regardless for whatever reason. He is not. He is a good player but he is severely out of form and capable of playing much better than he has done. I think people are extremely keen to see him do well because we got him ahead of Arsenal.

I mean Graham Potter has a lot to answer for this season but he’d given him a fair good number of games in a row after his Liverpool cameo where he looked good. Playing in his favoured position. I’m certain he was subbed in most of them. This would usually mean the player has not had an impact in the team, meaning he was dropped for someone else the next week. Hardly a bad managerial decision if I am honest.

I only wish he’d do it with Kai also.

Hmm, you're probably right and there's maybe more to his ceiling - but imo, he comes across as a system player. 

I.e. not someone like Hazard who can thrive in any kind of setup, but rather someone that needs to be utilized in the right way, with appropriate players combining with him.

But let's see if he can come back with more training minutes under his belt.

57 minutes ago, Blue Armour said:

Hmm, you're probably right and there's maybe more to his ceiling - but imo, he comes across as a system player. 

I.e. not someone like Hazard who can thrive in any kind of setup, but rather someone that needs to be utilized in the right way, with appropriate players combining with him.

But let's see if he can come back with more training minutes under his belt.

This makes the whole transfer look even worse as the last thing we needed was a system player.  In January, you go after players that can help you right away, not players that will take at least 12 months to settle down, get used to the intensity of the league before making any contributions to the team. 

It's like we signed him just to give Arsenal a headache rather than signing him because we actually needed that type of player. 

2 minutes ago, ulvhedin said:

So, Potter prefered to substitute on Pulisic, who seemed like cannot properly run yet, than Mudryk. It doesn't reflect well on Mudryk.

Someone else mentioned this as well but maybe Potter is punishing him for liking those posts about Cucurella being shit.

1 hour ago, TheHulk said:

Someone else mentioned this as well but maybe Potter is punishing him for liking those posts about Cucurella being shit.

Could maybe have been a possibility if he didn't start the very next game.

I think the extreme likelihood is Potter is taking him out of the firing line.

If he had shown more maturity recently then I’m sure he would of come on instead of Puli. Yesterdays game before we went 2-0 up would seem to have suited him with the space but ultimately the lineup paid off.

I’d expect him to start this weekend.

3 hours ago, Tomo said:

Could maybe have been a possibility if he didn't start the very next game.

I think the extreme likelihood is Potter is taking him out of the firing line.

You are right, look what I read about Cucu:

Starting on the left-hand side of Chelsea's back three, Cucurella could be seen snapping into challenges right from the start of the game, setting the tone for an aggressive team performance from the hosts and, on an individual level, displaying restored confidence.

Potter praised the defender afterwards for how he handled the criticism he faced earlier in the season and admitted his recent omissions had been a deliberate strategy to take him out of the spotlight.

"I'm delighted for him," said the Chelsea boss in his press conference. "Obviously, when you are having a bad time like we are and we have had, you expect the criticism and you have to deal with it. 

"Marc has dealt with it well. We've tried to shield him a little bit and at the same time pick the moment. I thought tonight, regardless of his situation, the crowd were going to get behind us because it was the Champions League."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12828409/champions-league-hits-and-misses-marc-cucurellas-redemption-reece-james-ben-chilwell-axis-shines

Edited by Fernando

There is a stat that prevented Mudryk from coming on. No other Chelsea player loses the ball as often as Mudryk. He is leading that stat by quite some margin. 

So what u dont want in a tight CL game in the last few minutes where the opponent is pressing and looking to go all in is a player that loses the ball all the time. 

23 minutes ago, Gundalf said:

There is a stat that prevented Mudryk from coming on. No other Chelsea player loses the ball as often as Mudryk. He is leading that stat by quite some margin. 

So what u dont want in a tight CL game in the last few minutes where the opponent is pressing and looking to go all in is a player that loses the ball all the time. 

Yet we subbed Pulisic who did that instead and also managed to fuck up a very good counter attack. Mudryk would have taken that defender on a walk with his speed 

1 hour ago, Costa19 said:

Yet we subbed Pulisic who did that instead and also managed to fuck up a very good counter attack. Mudryk would have taken that defender on a walk with his speed 

Hindsight bias. 

In general, Pulisic doesnt lose the ball as often as Mudryk. I imagine that guy trying to do some fancy tricks, losing the ball and Dortmund scores on a counter 😂

Tbh, Mudryk has been our worst signing so far. 

Edited by Gundalf

Not sure what the arguments for Mudryk are about. We are in must win mode and the guy clearly isn’t ready. Regardless if he’s fast or has potential, he’s shown he doesn’t have enough discipline to make a consistent impact atm. He knows how to play one way and that’s to just run fast.

Still early but not impressed so far.  

Years from now, this will be on every "top 10 worst PL transfers of all time" list. This transfer was pretty weird and never made sense. Nobody was talking about this guy as one of the next big things in Europe just months ago, the out of nowhere Arsenal and Chelsea were in a race to sign him...them we got him for a ridiculous amount of money, the social media started to beg everyone to follow him on Instagram, he was presented as some sort of football megastar. That was a new low for the club.

I wholeheartedly believe he was signed for political reasons, the new owners probably wanted him o become the next face of club to distance us from the roots of the previous owner. The thing is: he isn't good enough, and Potter needed results fast and new owners had to save theirs faces. Potter isn't punishing Mudryk, Potter at the moment is only concerned about saving his job, he gave Pulisic minutes yesterday for one simple reason: Pulisic is a better player.

Edited by Henrique

I would not go as far as considering this a PR move, but nevertheless weird move, given the amount paid. May be some truth to rumors that Arsenal baited the club into buying him.

Not like all Boehly's transfer activity is perfectly reasonable and easy to explain anyway.

His skillset may be a useful asset to have in a squad, but he certainly still needs a lot of work and pushing him into first team won't do him much favors. I'd hold with a judgment for a while, yet 80 mil is bit much for rather raw impact sub. Time will tell I guess, at least he seems to be rather level-headed (bar the Arsenal insta-love) and hard working.

Edited by Vegetable

Typical overreacting and negativity from Chelsea fans... Been reading so many times how summer transfer window was disaster, worst in history and everyone is bust. Fofana, KK Cucurella... Now when all 3 are performing great let's try to find someone else to exploit negativity. 

Mudryk will turn out great, he is put on the side for a couple of weeks because Potter knows exactly what he is doing. Guy played like 250 mins in Chelsea shirt ffs. 

It's dumb to judge the player when he just got here. 

Need to wait. I'm interested in this player and I think he can do better then what Pulisic and Hakim has done for us. 

I'm not giving up on him, just take it slow. Get him some games here and then. But it's good he is not in the limelight