5. Benoit Badiashile

ZAPHOD2319

Just now, whats happening said:

7.5 year contract? 😰

Well unless he is on retarded wages like Koulibaly we should easily be able to sell him should he prove to be a bust.

Good luck to him can't possibly be worse than Koulibaly anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

He is still young and talented enough to be molded into any kind of cb we need. I think if we try back 3 more often he will comfortably be able to play rcb and lcb soon anyway. It’s the middle one that will get difficult to find a long term successor to Thiago for 

Surely it makes sense for him to play as a left sided centre back be it in a 3 or a 4? I mean its not as if there are a huge amount of top quality/young, promising players in this position so I find it a bit absurd people are intrigued if he can play as a RCB when we already have Fofana (who was apparently signed with the view of being a wide right sided centre back in a 3), Azpi, Chalobah and even Koulibaly (although I think he prefers the left side and how comfortable he is on his left foot). 

Although suppose we might as well be asking if he can play upfront also based on current attacking options 😂

Also wasn’t this signing not specifically for the fact he fitted the profile of a younger, mobile, left sided central defender? 

Edited by OneMoSalah

With Colwill coming into his own and reports that he absolutely has a future here, it’ll be interesting to see what happens since he and Badiashile have the same profile as smooth left rotted CB’s and each are around the same age.

If we become a back 3 side for good then they can play in the same defense. A back 3 of Fofana, Colwill, and Badiashile could be our CB group for a LONG time. Even if we are a back 4 team going forward we’ll need 4 quality CB’s in the squad so Levi should be kept anyways.

10 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Surely it makes sense for him to play as a left sided centre back be it in a 3 or a 4? I mean its not as if there are a huge amount of top quality/young, promising players in this position so I find it a bit absurd people are intrigued if he can play as a RCB when we already have Fofana (who was apparently signed with the view of being a wide right sided centre back in a 3), Azpi, Chalobah and even Koulibaly (although I think he prefers the left side and how comfortable he is on his left foot). 

Although suppose we might as well be asking if he can play upfront also based on current attacking options 😂

Also wasn’t this signing not specifically for the fact he fitted the profile of a younger, mobile, left sided central defender? 

Probably more to do with Colwill who is also a left footed centre back. Could they potentially play together as would involve one on the right hand side.

I assume if everything fell correctly for the club the first choice long term would be Fofana on the right and one of Badiashile or Colwill on the left.

Fofana still needs to prove his fitness long term though to be reliably considered for that role.

24 minutes ago, Superblue said:

Probably more to do with Colwill who is also a left footed centre back. Could they potentially play together as would involve one on the right hand side.

I assume if everything fell correctly for the club the first choice long term would be Fofana on the right and one of Badiashile or Colwill on the left.

Fofana still needs to prove his fitness long term though to be reliably considered for that role.

True but it depends on a lot, the manager, the formation we play, if we sign anyone else in defence etc. I mean aye if both develop well, then it means we are strong for that category/profile and gives us flexibility/options.

Colwill has to come back, earn a place in the squad and perform here when called upon first though. I get that we’re seeing him do well at Brightom but doing it at Brighton isn’t necessarily going to translate as easily when playing for us. Just look at the difference in Cucurella and also look at Graham Potters struggles as our manager too. I’d imagine Caicedo if he were to come in this month may also have a similar adjustment period as well. 

Its a totally different environment so he will have to cross that bridge when he comes to it but really we should focus on the guys we have here at present before going and thinking for sure that Colwill will come back and need to be accommodated in the starting 11, so someone will have to play RCB or LCB or LB or RB or whatever to accommodate him now or then. I mean who knows, he might even stay at Brighton for another season (although I do doubt it)?

I think he will be in the squad next season as long as we don’t go daft and chase the Croatian lad from Leipzig but lets see how much Colwill ends up playing when we get to next season.

If we sign that Croatian lad he will be offski though. Can see this situation arising with some of the other younger lads in the future too, this Boehly 2030 project thing will have a few casualties. Lets just hope one isn’t Colwill as he can be a very good player for us in the future. 

Edited by OneMoSalah