Graham Potter Thread

ZAPHOD2319

9 hours ago, Kong said:

I'd look at it this way, there will never be more elite managers if big clubs kept picking from the same fail scrap pile.

It works two ways. There would be probably only 1 or 2 elite managers to choose from if they keep disregarding every manager that has had at least one high profile failure.

16 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

That quote is alarming re the board/owners/those at the helm’s ideas about managers getting chances at elite clubs after “failing” at other clubs.

I mean do these owners really have any idea about football? Not just elsewhere, specifically here. Have they not done any research into the hire and culture here from the past regime? And how elite level managers have gone and done after being sacked here for instance?

I cannot think of many of the supposed elite level managers who after having been sacked, failed or left here in whatever circumstances, that haven’t gone on and achieved something significant elsewhere. I mean Mourinho, Ancelotti, Benitez, Mourinho again, Conte and Sarri all won trophies elsewhere and got big jobs after here.

I really am getting more and more worried about Boehly and Clearlake with the amount of sheer nonsense thats come to light in the last few days. Really am. It seems as if they’ve came from Mars and are alien to almost everything that seems to be the norm in football.

15 hours ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

I am not going to react to quotes that are this ambiguous in nature. Tell me who said it or don't print it. Even if they are from an American football or baseball background, failing at one club gives coaches experience and almost all elite Football head coaches and baseball managers have failed at a big club and went on to have a great run at another. It makes no sense that this is Boehly saying this. 

I think the concept is being taken out of context. The impression I'm getting from this is that they aren't just going to go down the 'easy' route of looking at the tried and trusted coaching options already sat at the top table. I don't think its to say a manager won't be considered because they were sacked from their last job so must have failed in it. But in the case for example of Mourinho in recent times, no matter how great of a coach he has been, would people have considered him after his stints at United and Spurs went horribly wrong?

I think its a means of partially explaining why Potter over Poch. Poch has the experience of big club management but he's hardly been a resounding success. His Spurs tenure grew stale and had no trophies to show for it, and he hasn't come out of the PSG job with positive vibes either. Where does that experience rank when comparing a manager seemingly on the ascent to one on the descent.

I guess ultimately they're going to see first hand how successful this decision will be. It's a gamble and I can't see it ending up being a middling decision, this is either going to be a masterstroke or a disaster. I do have high hopes though that Potter has a huge amount of potential and hopefully we have things in place for him to realise that.

4 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I think the concept is being taken out of context. The impression I'm getting from this is that they aren't just going to go down the 'easy' route of looking at the tried and trusted coaching options already sat at the top table. I don't think its to say a manager won't be considered because they were sacked from their last job so must have failed in it. But in the case for example of Mourinho in recent times, no matter how great of a coach he has been, would people have considered him after his stints at United and Spurs went horribly wrong?

I think its a means of partially explaining why Potter over Poch. Poch has the experience of big club management but he's hardly been a resounding success. His Spurs tenure grew stale and had no trophies to show for it, and he hasn't come out of the PSG job with positive vibes either. Where does that experience rank when comparing a manager seemingly on the ascent to one on the descent.

I guess ultimately they're going to see first hand how successful this decision will be. It's a gamble and I can't see it ending up being a middling decision, this is either going to be a masterstroke or a disaster. I do have high hopes though that Potter has a huge amount of potential and hopefully we have things in place for him to realise that.

I hope it works 1 obviously for Chelsea but 2 if he here's 3 years+ we finally start to get rid of the stigma.

On 09/09/2022 at 06:19, ZAPHOD2319 said:

What section of the US? NE, SE, MW, NW, SW?

NE, NYC at the moment but gonna looking for something less dirty and crowded in the mid term . Compared to London, Frankfurt, Madrid where lived as a elk NYc is quite a fall off in terms of quality of life. But the ppl are nice and the museums are great. I guess it’s still better than Brighton where the seagulls are constantly stealing your fish and chips so at least Potter is making a step up. 😄

5 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

NE, NYC at the moment but gonna looking for something less dirty and crowded in the mid term . Compared to London, Frankfurt, Madrid where lived as a elk NYc is quite a fall off in terms of quality of life. But the ppl are nice and the museums are great. I guess it’s still better than Brighton where the seagulls are constantly stealing your fish and chips so at least Potter is making a step up. 😄

NYC is always a nice visit, but I would really need to spend quite a bit of time going to broadway and sporting events to make it enjoyable on a daily basis. There is a tremendous amount to see and do.

I was hoping you had landed in the SE. Although Atlanta United are dreadful, still a great experience going to a game. When we go to NYC for a visit, I will give you a shout to see if a pint fits in your schedule.

5 hours ago, Fernando said:

I don't have high hope. 

I think we will be going the united route. 

There are differences though.

I know Moyes did well with Everton in terms of results (and his teams also punched above their weight at Goodison), but I don't recall anything remarkable about his style of play or tactics. That's not the case with Potter.

Also, he had really big shoes to fill with regards to the departing Ferguson. It must have been a steep drop in quality for the players, in terms of coaching experience.

It remains to be seen how Potter can handle a squad of big names, but I hope his genial personality will help him there. The only other question is his ability to manage in Europe, but we'll find that out soon enough.

Edited by Blue Armour

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

Still no photos or videos from training or interviews with him or a presser?

They are still playing only depressing love songs on every radio channel going, even talk sport are only talking about the queen, press conferences won't even be happening and I assume they see it as disrespectful posting images and videos in YouTube.

Okay, so this guy hasn't won anything of note despite being a manager since 2008. The only achievement that people mention is that he got Brighton playing some nice football... just like Pochettino did with Sp*rs or Wenger with Arsenal (post-invincibles). Playing nice just for the sake of it means fuck all.

Sceptical over this appointment, has mediocrity written all over it like with all English managers. Hope he proves me and all doubters wrong though. Good luck, Graham! You're gonna need it with those players.

Edited by manpe

7 hours ago, manpe said:

Okay, so this guy hasn't won anything of note despite being a manager since 2008. The only achievement that people mention is that he got Brighton playing some nice football... just like Pochettino did with Sp*rs or Wenger with Arsenal (post-invincibles). Playing nice just for the sake of it means fuck all.

Sceptical over this appointment, has mediocrity written all over it like with all English managers. Hope he proves me and all doubters wrong though. Good luck, Graham! You're gonna need it with those players.

Did Pochettino play nice football at Spurs? They were the best team not managed by Pep we've ever faced in terms of forcing mistakes but i thought their overall style of play was pretty meh.

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

Did Pochettino play nice football at Spurs? They were the best team not managed by Pep we've ever faced in terms of forcing mistakes but i thought their overall style of play was pretty meh.

He hugely benefitted from Kane's goals to help inflate this opinion they were some free flowing attacking team.

I actually find it incredible how hyped up he is within some quarters. He had a really strong team on paper and still won nothing. They had a huge opportunity the year Leicester won the league and all the other top teams struggled, and they shat the bed and finished third.