Graham Potter Thread

ZAPHOD2319

He seems to have a very genial personality, and I hope that can go a long way towards him winning the dressing room (and not making any enemies of course).

AVB (and Lampard in his 2nd season) supposedly became very irritable and overbearing towards the ends of their tenures, creating a fractured dressing room.

Hope that is not the case with Potter.

I must admit this approach is actually very bold and refreshing.

I've voiced my concerns over Potter's experience at the highest level, but am also fully aware that all managers need that opportunity to prove whether they belong amongst the best managers and best teams and if the above is our owners mindset then I'd actually agree with it. The easy appointment would have been someone like Poch but we'd be looking to take him when his stock is significantly lower than it was at Spurs (when it was overrated anyway). We've seen others like Benitez and even Mourinho in recent years keep getting jobs with big clubs off the back of their historical pedigree and experience and not consideration as to recent problems and failings.

Potter is absolutely no doubts one of the most highest rated 'up and coming' coaches around currently and seems to be highly thought of amongst players, clubs, manager circles, etc. He's earned that big break, and hopefully we as a club will be rewarded in time for being the ones to provide him with that opportunity.

51 minutes ago, Milan said:

Any word on Anthony Barry? Leaving or staying?

Would assume at the very least he would initially stay here. 

For the club and Potter, he provides an important source of information from a coaches perspective on players strengths, weaknesses, personalities to get GP up and running as quick as possible.

For Barry, it presents him with an opportunity to work under a different manager with a different perspective, methods, etc which should help himself shaping his own coaching career.

If in time it's felt like the dynamic isn't there to work together, then he'd leave. I don't think he'd be short of offers because despite the poor start to this season (and namely struggles with set pieces) he is highly rated. Lampard would snap him up in an instant, he's already tried taking him previously and I'm pretty sure a couple of lower league teams have also even eyed him up for a managerial role.

12 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

Wow…so much has happened these last few days. I recently moved to the US so did not really check any news for a few days. Today I opened my phone and learned we sacked Thomas Tuchel, the Queen had died and we had appointed Graham Potter as new manager, in one instant. A new world we live in now and I don’t know what to think of it yet.

As for TT I am gutted to see him leave albeit I admit we had been torrid to watch not only this season but for almost a year now. Basically ever since we thumped Juve. That being said I hate this endless quest for beautiful football. I want to see us win no matter how. If that is even one reason for his sacking then our new owners are even more clueless than we thought. 

TT deserves nothing but respect. I hated to see fans insulting him the last weeks in the wake of our bad form. When he took over we were shambles yet he won us the CL just months later.  No other manager in  the world could have done this with the squad we had. None. It was a superhuman feat and TT deserves all the credit. He also took a weakened squad to make us world champions for the first time. Two of our biggest achievements as a club. 
moreover, when Roman was forced to sell the club, TT was the one holding it together. His professional, dignified demeaned was what resonated during that time and gave us stability. The loyalty he showed goes beyond his ability as a manager. The fans loved him and the he bond will last hopefully.

But despite having grown a lot as a person since leaving Germany where he was perceived as a brilliant but coldhearted Football professor, TT has remained a difficult character apparently. Our new owners are either indeed very stupid or TT was so much of a pain to deal with that there was no other option. 

Despite the assurances of a new era, I fear for Potter. What are these assurances of patience worth if the new owners are not even patient enough to establish a mutually satisfying way of communication with the one of the best coaches in the world. 
TT remains the only top level manager to never have been sacked bc of results but 3 times bc he did not get along with his superiors. 

potter is an absolute fortune cookie.he is a brilliant coach for an underdog side, possibly the best but  never has an English coach won the PL iirc and none even has won a major trophy for ages now, the last probably being Bobby robson. Will potter be the one to Change it? I strongly doubt it but we will see. I am willing to give this a chance but can’t help to feel like we are heading full throttle  to the abyss. 

What section of the US? NE, SE, MW, NW, SW?

So weird how we’ve appointed a new manager with all this commotion and not even going to see him presented or have him do a presser for days? And his first match is going to be thrown in to a must win CL game.

1 hour ago, NikkiCFC said:

Biggest question is what he can do with our attack? Just this year from February to April Brighton didn't scored in 7 games in a row except one corner. 

On the flip side of that I believe during 2022 Brighton have had the 5th highest XG in the league, which includes being above ourselves and United.

So it would suggest goal scoring issues have probably been more down to personnel than chances being created.

He's going to have a completely different task here, he'll find teams won't be as open against us as they were against Brighton. One of the things I hope he can get back into the side is aggressive pressing when we don't have the ball. We lost it with Lukaku last season and we've been really poor with it with the exception of the Spurs game this season. 

21 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

On the flip side of that I believe during 2022 Brighton have had the 5th highest XG in the league, which includes being above ourselves and United.

So it would suggest goal scoring issues have probably been more down to personnel than chances being created.

He's going to have a completely different task here, he'll find teams won't be as open against us as they were against Brighton. One of the things I hope he can get back into the side is aggressive pressing when we don't have the ball. We lost it with Lukaku last season and we've been really poor with it with the exception of the Spurs game this season. 

The spurs game still puzzles me. We looked excellent pressing was great our general play was better than we have seen in ages.

20 minutes ago, Kong said:

The spurs game still puzzles me. We looked excellent pressing was great our general play was better than we have seen in ages.

I said at the time that has to be the minimum now we've shown what we could do - play like that and we'd win most games through the season but Leeds was the acid test to see if we could produce it again and it simply didn't happen.

Whether it was the players, Tuchel or a combination of the two, there is definitely a mentality issue within the group because we were capable of raising performances when we needed to and performing in big games, even if on a rotten run of form. Definitely needs to be something for GP to work out.

7 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

That quote is alarming re the board/owners/those at the helm’s ideas about managers getting chances at elite clubs after “failing” at other clubs.

I mean do these owners really have any idea about football? Not just elsewhere, specifically here. Have they not done any research into the hire and culture here from the past regime? And how elite level managers have gone and done after being sacked here for instance?

I cannot think of many of the supposed elite level managers who after having been sacked, failed or left here in whatever circumstances, that haven’t gone on and achieved something significant elsewhere. I mean Mourinho, Ancelotti, Benitez, Mourinho again, Conte and Sarri all won trophies elsewhere and got big jobs after here.

I really am getting more and more worried about Boehly and Clearlake with the amount of sheer nonsense thats come to light in the last few days. Really am. It seems as if they’ve came from Mars and are alien to almost everything that seems to be the norm in football.

8 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

That quote is alarming re the board/owners/those at the helm’s ideas about managers getting chances at elite clubs after “failing” at other clubs.

I mean do these owners really have any idea about football? Not just elsewhere, specifically here. Have they not done any research into the hire and culture here from the past regime? And how elite level managers have gone and done after being sacked here for instance?

I cannot think of many of the supposed elite level managers who after having been sacked, failed or left here in whatever circumstances, that haven’t gone on and achieved something significant elsewhere. I mean Mourinho, Ancelotti, Benitez, Mourinho again, Conte and Sarri all won trophies elsewhere and got big jobs after here.

I really am getting more and more worried about Boehly and Clearlake with the amount of sheer nonsense thats come to light in the last few days. Really am. It seems as if they’ve came from Mars and are alien to almost everything that seems to be the norm in football.

I'd look at it this way, there will never be more elite managers if big clubs kept picking from the same fail scrap pile.

21 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

I am not going to react to quotes that are this ambiguous in nature. Tell me who said it or don't print it. Even if they are from an American football or baseball background, failing at one club gives coaches experience and almost all elite Football head coaches and baseball managers have failed at a big club and went on to have a great run at another. It makes no sense that this is Boehly saying this. 

On 08/09/2022 at 16:40, Duppy Conqueror said:

When i was at the 1997 cup final going mental because Di Matteo scored a screamer in the first minute i didnt consider the keeper picking the ball out of the net would 25 years later become our keepers coach. Good luck to him and the other coaches.Good luck to GP.

What a day that was - last year of Uni and RDM screamer. That and Championship Manager 🤣

11 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I said at the time that has to be the minimum now we've shown what we could do - play like that and we'd win most games through the season but Leeds was the acid test to see if we could produce it again and it simply didn't happen.

Whether it was the players, Tuchel or a combination of the two, there is definitely a mentality issue within the group because we were capable of raising performances when we needed to and performing in big games, even if on a rotten run of form. Definitely needs to be something for GP to work out.

One thing I'm going to miss about Tuchel was his ability to raise the mentality of the squad for the big games (esp the cup ones). Went toe to toe with Liverpool, beat City 3 times in a row in his first season in charge., made it to the finals of nearly all cup games., that too without any real big game player. 

Definitely the best I've seen from Chelsea in that regard ever since Contes first season.