Graham Potter Thread

ZAPHOD2319

Paying £21m to get him, giving him a 5 years contract, letting him bring in his most trusted assistants, and bringing in a transfer/recruitment guy that will surely act as a direct link between manager and board tells you that Potter will be given every opportunity to build something. He will be given an extremely long leash.

I see a lot of oppo fans saying “lol, he’ll be out of a job in less than a season.” Nah, unless there is an open mutiny from half the squad he’s going to be given at least 2 seasons, think.

2 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

His Brighton teams haven’t necessarily been big scorers during his time there, that is a big concern for me. Or been efficient at keeping clean sheets either. 

It's not a bad point, but you also gotta remember the attacking players he had. They still managed to create a lot of chances, and although Xg isn't the complete truth, it does give a good indication of this.

Last season Brighton had an expected goals rating of 53,6, but only scored 42 goals. They still ended 9th which is fantastic for them, but with some more money invested in good forwards, I am sure he would have had a team scoring a lot more.  He has also shown he has been capable of taking the steps up every time he has been asked to so far. I remember people doubting him when he went away from the Swedish league as well, where he created miracles with very little.

Edited by calculatingInfinity

I have to admit I'm a bit sorry we took him because I wanted to see how far he would go with Brighton this season after this start to the season they've had

People will have another reason to hate us after we ruined Brighton.

He seems like an intelligent and calm person something that our squad need at this moment .

1 hour ago, milka said:

I have to admit I'm a bit sorry we took him because I wanted to see how far he would go with Brighton this season after this start to the season they've had

He seems like an intelligent and calm person something that our squad need at this moment .

Brighton will be fine, they still have all their human infrastructure in place, apart from Potter

I  think   Potter will prefer Kepa to be 1st choice cuz he is better than Mendy with feet .  He did that at Brighton with  Ryan and Robert Sanchez . 

Or he will look for a goalkeeper who can play with his feet. 

Edited by milka

9 minutes ago, milka said:

I  think   Potter will prefer Kepa to be 1st choice cuz he is better than Mendy with feet .  He did that at Brighton with  Ryan and Robert Sanchez . 

Or he will look for a goalkeeper who can play with his feet. 

I could see it. Though, I wonder how the squad would take it. Mendy seems very popular and with 3 French speakers as our starting CB’s I wonder how they’d feel or if it even makes a difference.

42 minutes ago, Pizy said:

I could see it. Though, I wonder how the squad would take it. Mendy seems very popular and with 3 French speakers as our starting CB’s I wonder how they’d feel or if it even makes a difference.

Joe Hart was popular at City prior to Pep coming in....then he was asked to play out from the back, he refused and Pep went ahead and got the keeper that he wanted who was comfortable with the ball at his feet. 

I don't see Graham making any drastic GK decisions unless Mendy continues to be poor.  You would think he'd eventually revert to his average performance which is good enough to help us get points. 

4 hours ago, milka said:

I see them quite similar to Southampton, they had a solid run under Poch before he went to the dark side of London and they've been able to attract solid managers since then.   They make smart transfer decisions and know when to sell their players for a nice profit.   Brighton isn't that different and I'd be surprised if they can't attract a good young manager

Wow…so much has happened these last few days. I recently moved to the US so did not really check any news for a few days. Today I opened my phone and learned we sacked Thomas Tuchel, the Queen had died and we had appointed Graham Potter as new manager, in one instant. A new world we live in now and I don’t know what to think of it yet.

As for TT I am gutted to see him leave albeit I admit we had been torrid to watch not only this season but for almost a year now. Basically ever since we thumped Juve. That being said I hate this endless quest for beautiful football. I want to see us win no matter how. If that is even one reason for his sacking then our new owners are even more clueless than we thought. 

TT deserves nothing but respect. I hated to see fans insulting him the last weeks in the wake of our bad form. When he took over we were shambles yet he won us the CL just months later.  No other manager in  the world could have done this with the squad we had. None. It was a superhuman feat and TT deserves all the credit. He also took a weakened squad to make us world champions for the first time. Two of our biggest achievements as a club. 
moreover, when Roman was forced to sell the club, TT was the one holding it together. His professional, dignified demeaned was what resonated during that time and gave us stability. The loyalty he showed goes beyond his ability as a manager. The fans loved him and the he bond will last hopefully.

But despite having grown a lot as a person since leaving Germany where he was perceived as a brilliant but coldhearted Football professor, TT has remained a difficult character apparently. Our new owners are either indeed very stupid or TT was so much of a pain to deal with that there was no other option. 

Despite the assurances of a new era, I fear for Potter. What are these assurances of patience worth if the new owners are not even patient enough to establish a mutually satisfying way of communication with the one of the best coaches in the world. 
TT remains the only top level manager to never have been sacked bc of results but 3 times bc he did not get along with his superiors. 

potter is an absolute fortune cookie.he is a brilliant coach for an underdog side, possibly the best but  never has an English coach won the PL iirc and none even has won a major trophy for ages now, the last probably being Bobby robson. Will potter be the one to Change it? I strongly doubt it but we will see. I am willing to give this a chance but can’t help to feel like we are heading full throttle  to the abyss. 

10 hours ago, Pizy said:

Paying £21m to get him, giving him a 5 years contract, letting him bring in his most trusted assistants, and bringing in a transfer/recruitment guy that will surely act as a direct link between manager and board tells you that Potter will be given every opportunity to build something. He will be given an extremely long leash.

I see a lot of oppo fans saying “lol, he’ll be out of a job in less than a season.” Nah, unless there is an open mutiny from half the squad he’s going to be given at least 2 seasons, think.

I agree. 

When Boehly and team came in, I expected Tuchel to be here for the long haul. Saying that though, he wasn't the manager they chose, hence, things must have gotten pretty heated for him and company to want to part ways. 

Dave Roberts of the LA Dodgers has produced some pretty unspectacular results given the team and money he has to play with, as well as the allure of the Dodgers and LA as a name in baseball. I think Potter will be given time and leniency to build something. I think Boehly is a student of the PL and the game of football. I'm sure he is seeing a blueprint of what Liverpool and Man City have done, and that is provide continuity to growth by having a stable environment for the manager and players who come in. 

Even for players - coming into a team where the head coach has been there a while - it lets them know they're part of the picture and that the stability to see them there long term is in mind.