Graham Potter Thread

ZAPHOD2319

7 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

His Brighton teams haven’t necessarily been big scorers during his time there, that is a big concern for me. Or been efficient at keeping clean sheets either. 

If he can have a similar effect to what TT did when he first came in though with the structure of the team improving and the likes of xG, chances created, key passes etc going up then its a good start but I still think that barring Sterling and Aubamayang, our attackers are still too inconsistent in this aspect.

I get he is going to be working with a supposed higher quality of player but these things are telling. Also the likes of United, Arsenal and Spurs are much better now be it due to certain signings or managerial appointments so the room for error with this appointment in both the short and long term is very slim because once you start slipping down that table, it is a very slippery slope.

For me, Boehly is either going to look very good or very foolish by the end of this season because sacking an elite manager and going for someone who, whilst he is promising as a coach, has no experience at an elite level, it is risky.

TB will undoubtedly have had to give GP certain assurances (no way he takes this position in the same way the likes of a Tuchel, Conte, Mourinho or even a Pochettino may have due to their reputation and knowledge that they will likely get a big club again regardless because of what they’ve achieved in the game already) and time will be one of those. 

It remains to be seen if TB isn’t full of shit - he obviously was when he was pumping out the message that Tuchel was his man, the man who would be central to how the club would be under their ownership, how it was his say only on transfers etc although turns out he wasn’t convinced entirely since last season, was annoyed TT basically publicly made it clear he didn’t want CR7 and that a majority of the signings were club led and not coach led … - if he is going to let GP come in and try change the ethos of the club, the footballing style etc, it will take time so he has to let him get some. And has to take a step back from picking the targets.

Nail on the head.

We've seen the kind of shite Arsenal, Spurs and United have gone through with the appointment of lesser name coaches., setting those clubs back for years.

The fact is we sacked a tried and tested coach after the first few signs of trouble, despite being in a salvageable position. Hopefully Potter has at least the same impact Pochettino had on Spurs, and keeps us in top 4 contention. 

Some opinions from Brighton fans  about him

Massive thank you! We are in a better place than we've ever been and he has done an amazing job. We were always going to lose him at some point. Thought we might get this season out of him but I absolutely don't blame him for taking on one of the biggest jobs in the Premier League and world football.

I hate Chelsea with a passion personally and would have loved him to have gone to another club but I certainly don't blame him. Really hope he gets a decent reception when he comes back - he's one of the best coaches in the world, we're lucky to have had him and, by all accounts, he is one of the nicest people as well.

We all have our Albion tinted glasses on and sometimes can't believe why any player/manager/member of staff would want to leave but the reality is we will never be one of the top clubs in world football and if someone wants to leave for that, then good luck to them. This is clearly the view of Tony Bloom and the rest of the board as well.

Still absolutely gutted to see him go as I really believe that, however good his replacement is, he won't be as good as Potter...

Naturally I am thankful that Potter has produced the best football we have ever seen at the club and that will not change. The man is in my opinion outside Pep the best manager in the league, and certainly the best I have had the pleasure of seeing at the Albion.

That said if you think I am going wave him off with a cheery smile and a pat on the back for buggering off at the first offer he gets whilst we are on one of the best runs we've witnessed at the Amex, you have got another thing coming.

A season which has got off to a fantastic start has just had the heart unceremoniously ripped out of it and I make no apologies for being angry about it, right now.

That he has left for the odious entity that is Chelsea makes it even worse, there is no way I will ever wish that club well.

I wish I could answer both Thank You and F You in this poll but I chose my side of the fence for today.

Christ really folk?! He has been great for us, taken us forward and comes across as a brilliant guy. It’s crazy to begrudge him this opportunity. He almost has to take it and I hope he does well. I don’t care about Chelsea either way, but Potter clearly one of life’s good guys. He isn’t going to work in North Korea developing death spores ffs.

Yes it’s crap for us, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t an equally capable manager available.

Thanks for everything Graham. x

I'm not going to pretend I'm excited about this even one bit. Replacing a world class manager and a fan favorite like Tuchel with a mid table coach. Ugh. Not looking forward to this season at all.

Edited by different level

"We are thrilled to partner with Graham to build a winning team, one that embodies the culture of collaboration, innovation, teamwork, player development, and a commitment to excellence on and off the pitch. We are fortunate to have Graham and his team as our partners in that journey."

The wording backing the journalists stories about Boehly and Tuchels fighting over collaboration. 

Very excited for this, was the pick I was hoping (but not expecting) from the new owners. Honestly very positively surprised they took Potter. 

Also very glad Tuchel is gone. A coach who ends up turning sour with his teams every quickly (both when it comes to owners, players and general management), on top of playing horrible football. 

It might not be instant results, but I really think good times are coming with Potter. A manager who should have had the shot at a bigger club way sooner than this.

Edited by calculatingInfinity

32 minutes ago, different level said:

I'm not going to pretend I'm excited about this even one bit. Replacing a world class manager and a fan favorite like Tuchel with a mid table coach. Ugh. Not looking forward to this season at all.

World class manger?

You mean the one that had us playing crap football, couldn't break teams down, at loggerheads with the players and the board as per PSG.

He maybe was for the first 6 months then he fell off the cliff.

57 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

His Brighton teams haven’t necessarily been big scorers during his time there, that is a big concern for me. Or been efficient at keeping clean sheets either. 

If he can have a similar effect to what TT did when he first came in though with the structure of the team improving and the likes of xG, chances created, key passes etc going up then its a good start but I still think that barring Sterling and Aubamayang, our attackers are still too inconsistent in this aspect.

I get he is going to be working with a supposed higher quality of player but these things are telling. Also the likes of United, Arsenal and Spurs are much better now be it due to certain signings or managerial appointments so the room for error with this appointment in both the short and long term is very slim because once you start slipping down that table, it is a very slippery slope.

For me, Boehly is either going to look very good or very foolish by the end of this season because sacking an elite manager and going for someone who, whilst he is promising as a coach, has no experience at an elite level, it is risky.

TB will undoubtedly have had to give GP certain assurances (no way he takes this position in the same way the likes of a Tuchel, Conte, Mourinho or even a Pochettino may have due to their reputation and knowledge that they will likely get a big club again regardless because of what they’ve achieved in the game already) and time will be one of those. 

It remains to be seen if TB isn’t full of shit - he obviously was when he was pumping out the message that Tuchel was his man, the man who would be central to how the club would be under their ownership, how it was his say only on transfers etc although turns out he wasn’t convinced entirely since last season, was annoyed TT basically publicly made it clear he didn’t want CR7 and that a majority of the signings were club led and not coach led … - if he is going to let GP come in and try change the ethos of the club, the footballing style etc, it will take time so he has to let him get some. And has to take a step back from picking the targets.

Who are the attackers he’s had access to to score goals? Haven’t Welbeck and Maupay been their main strikers for the last 2 years? Not exactly top class players. 

I remember last season they went on some insanely long streak of just not being able to score even when playing fantastic football. I don’t put that in Potter. It was a personnel issue.

We must hope and pray that if Potter is able to implement that same way of playing, Auba/Havertz/Mount/Broja etc will thrive.

When i was at the 1997 cup final going mental because Di Matteo scored a screamer in the first minute i didnt consider the keeper picking the ball out of the net would 25 years later become our keepers coach. Good luck to him and the other coaches.Good luck to GP.