Denis Zakaria

James

5 hours ago, Strike said:

was a stop-gap midfield fix if anything until Kovacic returned to full speed from the WC. I think it will be a disaster to field Zakaria vs City

Most of our starting 11 is a disaster to field against city.

He did indeed. Played at a much higher tempo which was reassuring. he wasn't under pressure a whole lot, but you could see that he was trying to make runs often.

One of the very few good performances against City today.

For the the game was a lot tighter than expected and in the end City only scored from a Kepa's gift. 

Yesterday we saw for the first time since his debut what I remember him being like in Bundesliga. A dogged defensive presence with the athleticism and ball carrying ability to break through lines. In this hectic Match he was equal to the pace of the league for the first time

I genuinely hope he can hold this level and make himself a viable option for us long term. 

26 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Yesterday we saw for the first time since his debut what I remember him being like in Bundesliga. A dogged defensive presence with the athleticism and ball carrying ability to break through lines. In this hectic Match he was equal to the pace of the league for the first time

I genuinely hope he can hold this level and make himself a viable option for us long term. 

There's a shade of Mikel about him when he lets the ball across his body and uses his frame to block players from taking the ball. It makes him incredibly press resistant. It was something Mikel probably didn't get nearly enough credit for at the time.

There's a bit more mobility and attacking intent from Zakaria though in his game. I've been impressed with what I've seen so far and do feel he's growing as he's getting more fitter and more confident.

Whilst I wouldn't say go and buy him outright right now, I do think given the prices being bandied around for players, his price feels a fair one that we could visit at the end of the season if he's continued to kick on. Or we could pull the Italian trick on themselves and try to negotiate a better deal. He is part of the reason why I don't want us to panic buy this window in midfield if the right player isn't available. We have him here for the rest of the season, let's make sure we make the right decision with him at the end of it, whichever that may be.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

PROFILE | DENIS ZAKARIA – FROM A PERIPHERAL FIGURE AT Chelsea TO A KEY PERFORMER AT MONACO

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2023/profile-denis-zakaria-from-a-peripheral-figure-at-Chelsea-to-a-key-performer-at-monaco/

fbl-fra-ligue1-rennes-monaco-5-1-scaled.

Denis Zakaria amidst the frequent managerial changes and the chaos at Chelsea played a peripheral role last season. When he did play, he impressed, but as Thomas Tuchel, Graham Potter and then Frank Lampard all chopped and changed in the search for solutions to numerous problems, Zakaria was often overlooked. The Swiss international only played 721 minutes last season, and so he would have been forgiven for looking off the pace when he completed a summer switch to AS Monaco. However, that has not been the case. With 997 minutes already under his belt, more than he had in the entirety of last season, Zakaria has established himself as a key and versatile element in this Monaco side. 

His prior relationship with Adi Hütter, with whom he worked at Borussia Mönchengladbach, certainly facilitated his rapid integration, but what Zakaria has done since his arrival is nonetheless impressive. Amidst a defensive crisis, the former Juventus midfielder was asked to fill in in the middle of Les Monégasques’ back three. He isn’t a centre-back by trade, but you wouldn’t know, and in some games early this season, Zakaria was Monaco’s most convincing and composed centre-back. 

An instant adaptation under a familiar manager

However, there is no doubt that Zakaria’s best qualities are highlighted when he is given more freedom higher up the pitch. His press resistance, which caught the eye in the Premier League last season, has translated into Ligue 1 too, and his ability to beat the press with just one touch has become an indispensable tool to help Monaco progress up the field. His defensive positioning and intelligence also frees Youssouf Fofana to be more expressive and attacking and he is therefore the reason that Monaco’s midfield has a good balance this season.

There were doubts as to whether Zakaria would have to battle for his place at Monaco, given the arrival of Mohamed Camara the previous summer for decent money. However, the Swiss international has quickly asserted himself as the first choice alongside Fofana, with whom a great partnership is blossoming. With Fofana persistently linked with a departure from Monaco, Zakaria could become the main man in Hütter’s midfield going forward. At 27 years old, he is in his prime and should he remain at the Principality club, you could easily see him establishing himself as one of the best midfielders in Ligue 1 for years to come.