Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

James

Not gonna lie I am impressed how calmly he goes about his job not giving a damn about our striker ‘curse’ , Tuchels  sacking or even that terrible burglary. 

prime Auba would have had a Hattrick today but as long as he converts the easy ones I will not complain. 

I was worried about his motivation after almost being forced out of Barca so quickly after moving there and also our ability to provide him service. But man, he has fit in quite seamlessly and looks just like he did when he was at Barca banging them in. Like he wants to prove any doubters wrong.

9 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Not gonna lie I am impressed how calmly he goes about his job not giving a damn about our striker ‘curse’ , Tuchels  sacking or even that terrible burglary. 

prime Auba would have had a Hattrick today but as long as he converts the easy ones I will not complain. 

To be honest I thought he was poor outside of the goal but what I like is he works hard enough to allow the system to work despite that.

When you know who was playing poorly we were effectively down to ten and some guy up front wandering around hoping for a tap in.

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

To be honest I thought he was poor outside of the goal but what I like is he works hard enough to allow the system to work despite that.

When you know who was playing poorly we were effectively down to ten and some guy up front wandering around hoping for a tap in.

At times I find his part in the build up play can be a bit sloppy with a mis control or a bad pass. Strange really because he's clearly a good enough, capable player technically to play that role, but he's also still adapting to new players too.

But you're spot on, and it was part of the reason I saw no real issues with him signing here as a short-term solution. Even under Arteta last season, his work rate off the ball with regards to pressures, sprints, etc was still strong despite him clearly being demotivated, and his all-round stats were strong in the 6 months at Barca.

He offers the side a genuine threat of a bona fide striker leading the line and running in behind, without as you said, leaving us a man down when things aren't going well. He's actually currently proving to be the perfect complement to Broja who is getting minutes to develop and play but without the pressures and burden that come with being a striker because Auba is carrying that currently.

I just hope he puts that flip celebration away for good now as knowing our luck with injuries, he'll be on absolute fire and end up ripping his hamstring or knee ligaments on one of those celebrations.

8 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

At times I find his part in the build up play can be a bit sloppy with a mis control or a bad pass. Strange really because he's clearly a good enough, capable player technically to play that role, but he's also still adapting to new players too.

But you're spot on, and it was part of the reason I saw no real issues with him signing here as a short-term solution. Even under Arteta last season, his work rate off the ball with regards to pressures, sprints, etc was still strong despite him clearly being demotivated, and his all-round stats were strong in the 6 months at Barca.

He offers the side a genuine threat of a bona fide striker leading the line and running in behind, without as you said, leaving us a man down when things aren't going well. He's actually currently proving to be the perfect complement to Broja who is getting minutes to develop and play but without the pressures and burden that come with being a striker because Auba is carrying that currently.

I just hope he puts that flip celebration away for good now as knowing our luck with injuries, he'll be on absolute fire and end up ripping his hamstring or knee ligaments on one of those celebrations.

I am still at odds why we did not sign him back in 2018… we could have gotten 5,6 years out of him instead of putting up with 300m of flops in Morata, Lukaku, Timo etc. 

About the flip I did some research and he was actually forbidden by Dortmund to do it back in 2016. The injuries you can get from a bad landing here are everything from a torn muscle to an Achilles’ tendon and worst case break your spine. Miro klose who was famous for his flip actually did his hamstring after being lucky almost 100 times. A player in India tragically broke his neck and died a few years back. I know it’s fun but just do it into a pool, on a thick mat or trampoline like the rest of us 

26 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

I am still at odds why we did not sign him back in 2018… we could have gotten 5,6 years out of him instead of putting up with 300m of flops in Morata, Lukaku, Timo etc. 

The problem was Morata. We'd only just paid £50-60m on a new striker in the summer.

Giroud was a cost-effective solution to support him at the time and to be fair to Giroud, he ended up being well worth the money we paid for him.

But I agree, in hindsight Aubameyang should have been the target around that period (no idea why he wasn't looked at in the summer instead of Morata).

16 hours ago, Tomo said:

He made several VERY dangerous runs and the ball didn't come. I have a feeling if we still had Fabregas this guy would be putting in elite numbers.

• 2 months later...
47 minutes ago, Blue Armour said:

Why do we even keep giving these guys the no.9 shirt. It's as if we want them to fail.

heh think he was already a pretty lousy player at Arsenal when a lot younger. Wasn't great a barca either and doing pretty much the same for us. We get what we pay for.

26 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

heh think he was already a pretty lousy player at Arsenal when a lot younger. Wasn't great a barca either and doing pretty much the same for us. We get what we pay for.

No doubt about that. I'm just saying the no.9 is like the icing on the cake.

Shame, as it used to belong to some of our greatest players, Osgood, Hasslebaink, et al.

26 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

heh think he was already a pretty lousy player at Arsenal when a lot younger. Wasn't great a barca either

last season

20 goals in only 2630 minutes

the Barca portion tracks to over 30 goals in a full seasons minutes

I would kill for that kind of production from a CF of ours

cb9865c38896195c55b8bba6a75352f1.png

13 minutes ago, Vesper said:

last season

20 goals in only 2630 minutes

the Barca portion tracks to over 30 goals in a full seasons minutes

I would kill for that kind of production from a CF of ours

cb9865c38896195c55b8bba6a75352f1.png

Who cares about his Barcelona statistics? 

He scored from tap-ins and easy opportunities in front of goal, which he was never going to get at Chelsea. 

The fact that we actually paid Barcelona a transfer fee for a player that Arsenal effectively sacked should have been a massive red flag.  

19 minutes ago, Blue Armour said:

No doubt about that. I'm just saying the no.9 is like the icing on the cake.

Shame, as it used to belong to some of our greatest players, Osgood, Hasslebaink, et al.

Maybe we should just retire the no.9 until we find a good striker who can break the curse. 

1 hour ago, Reddish-Blue said:

Who cares about his Barcelona statistics? 

He scored from tap-ins and easy opportunities in front of goal, which he was never going to get at Chelsea. 

The fact that we actually paid Barcelona a transfer fee for a player that Arsenal effectively sacked should have been a massive red flag.  

I was refuting what another poster claimed ABOUT HIS TIME AT BARCA

nothing more, nothing less

smdh