Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

James

3 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I thought that period between him getting up to speed (around Christmas time) and then injured vs Arsenal that Eto'o was absolutely brilliant.

I think we would have won the league had he remained fit.

Yeah he still had a bit of pace left which I hope will also be the case for auba

but etoo was wildly inconsistent and missed a ton of big chances throughout 

broja signing that 6 y deal has made me hopeful there Auba is not planned as a starter week in week out for more than a few months 

4 hours ago, nyikolajevics said:

Flop at Barca? He scored 13 goals in 24 games.. Against weak sides like Real Madrid(2x), Napoli, Real Sociedad, Galatasaray, Valencia..

At Arsenal, 163 games 92 goals.. Wish our strikers were this much flop. With 92 goals for Chelsea, he would be almost top 10 all time goalscorer. 

Last two seasons, Jorginho(7) and Mount(10) were our top scorers in Premier Leauge. We can't really do worse than this. I don't expect Auba being 30+ goal player but even scoring 15 would be a huge improvement from Werner. 

He is a good finisher, as you wrote, and this is what we need.

Yeah I know his numbers look good, but that's not how I rate striker these days. Lukaku had good numbers too, and I wouldn't have signed him.

Barca as well as fans were not very worried about losing him btw) -- colleague of mine is a Barca fan.

It's really the same issue I had with Luakaku: if he scores plenty of goals, but makes the team easier to beat, then is he really helping? 

5 hours ago, robsblubot said:

I've always thought Aubameyang was overrated. He's a good finisher, and a skillful player on the ball. He severely lacks in mentality, which translates into low work rate and teamwork. This makes him an odd choice for Tuchel style of play or any high press.

I think he was a flop at Arsenal and was again a flop at Barca. He starts very well, scoring often esp against the weaker sides, but seems to fizzle out as the season unfolds and matches become tougher.

With that out of the way, I'd really love to be wrong and that he ends up delivering for -- turn arounds like that aren't unheard of in football.

Whilst he's not a relentless pressing machine, Auba's pressing stats are actually pretty strong, especially compared to how bad Lukaku's were for us last season.

Pretty sure there was a graphic which highlighted how poor Ronaldo and Lukaku were at pressing last season and Auba was around mid table or a little above average on the metric and this was despite there clearly being issues between him and Arteta at the time. Before they fell out, the year before Arteta played him a lot at left wing to accommodate Lacazette and he essentially sacrificed his own game for the team and was willing to put a shift in there so I don't think that carefree attitude he has necessarily means he's lazy and individualistic. 

Tuchel also mentioned it in his presser today that it is something from his time at Dortmund that he found was a strength to his game.

12 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Whilst he's not a relentless pressing machine, Auba's pressing stats are actually pretty strong, especially compared to how bad Lukaku's were for us last season.

Pretty sure there was a graphic which highlighted how poor Ronaldo and Lukaku were at pressing last season and Auba was around mid table or a little above average on the metric and this was despite there clearly being issues between him and Arteta at the time. Before they fell out, the year before Arteta played him a lot at left wing to accommodate Lacazette and he essentially sacrificed his own game for the team and was willing to put a shift in there so I don't think that carefree attitude he has necessarily means he's lazy and individualistic. 

Tuchel also mentioned it in his presser today that it is something from his time at Dortmund that he found was a strength to his game.

fair enough I hope you are right, but I still think Jesus is twice the player who makes Arsenal a far better team, for example.

Regarding the " carefree attitude" bit, I don't think it belongs in the modern game, but again, I hope you are right.

1 hour ago, robsblubot said:

Yeah I know his numbers look good, but that's not how I rate striker these days. Lukaku had good numbers too, and I wouldn't have signed him.

Barca as well as fans were not very worried about losing him btw) -- colleague of mine is a Barca fan.

It's really the same issue I had with Luakaku: if he scores plenty of goals, but makes the team easier to beat, then is he really helping? 

You absolutely wrong. The Barca fans love him. They were gutted he went. 

Tuchel hopes to have Aubameyang in the match day squad next week at Fulham. Going to get a mask from the same guy who previously made ones for Rüdiger, Fabregas, Torres and Ba.

Looks a much better estimate than the previously reported time out due to the jaw injury.

6 hours ago, robsblubot said:

Of course Barca fans were not worried about losing him.. They bought Lewa and plenty of other new toys this summer. They are still overloaded with attackers. 

I believe he is what we need now, and positive about Zakaria too.

On 08/09/2022 at 10:34, tsikiosio said:

sure he is a bit unsure what has happened to his career. did TT even request him or was another TB pick up?

he is a big boy and a professional, he will get over it as soon as that first paycheque hits his bank account

On 10/09/2022 at 06:35, Vesper said:

he is a big boy and a professional, he will get over it as soon as that first paycheque hits his bank account

Am not convinced he was even a TT signing, easy to assume that with his connections, just a swap deal for Alonso that was a quick fix for our number 9 options imo.

10 hours ago, Kong said:

Am not convinced he was even a TT signing, easy to assume that with his connections, just a swap deal for Alonso that was a quick fix for our number 9 options imo.

Pretty much a straight striker swap then. 😉

the only difference is that one of them thought he was an LB.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang ‘shocked’ by Thomas Tuchel sacking — Kepa Arrizabalaga

https://theathletic.com/3599938/2022/09/16/kepa-aubameyang-shocked-Chelsea/

Chelsea, Pierre Emerick-Aubameyang

Kepa Arrizabalaga has revealed Chelsea summer signing Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang was left in shock by Thomas Tuchel’s sacking.

Aubameyang, 33, joined Chelsea on a two-year deal on September 1 to seal a reunion with his former Borussia Dortmund manager at Stamford Bridge.

However, Tuchel was dismissed by owner Todd Boehly on September 7 with Graham Potter replacing the former Paris Saint-Germain head coach.

It means Aubameyang’s only appearance at Chelsea under Tuchel was the German’s last ever game in charge.

Speaking to The Sun, Kepa said: “The truth is that the first days he arrived a little scared.

“He was a little in shock, a lot of change, the last two or three days were very crazy for him, everything that happened to him was a misfortune.”

Aubameyang, who played 66 minutes of Potter’s first game in charge against Red Bull Salzburg in midweek, said he was left saddened by Tuchel’s departure.

“Everyone knows the relationship that I had with Thomas,” explained Aubameyang after the 1-1 Champions League draw.

“It’s always sad when someone leaves the club. Obviously, I just saw him for a few days.

“When you play football you have to adapt very quickly to some moments in the season, this can happen.

“I will try to talk to him as soon as possible. It’s been a crazy week for all of us, that’s part of life, we have to adapt.”

Chelsea were scheduled to host Liverpool in the Premier League this weekend but the game has been postponed due to the extra policing needed for Queen Elizabeth II’s funeral on Monday.

Potter’s side are next in action against Crystal Palace on October 1.

• 4 weeks later...