Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

James

I remember Chelsea seemingly being his first choice over Arsenal before he moved to England. Even posing in blue (or was it his car) when hinting at his next club.

3 years too late, but let's hope he can bring it.

Edited by Blue Armour

2 hours ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Wont see him for a few weeks -getting smacked with an iron bar ending up with a broken jaw takes a bit of healing

disgusting what happened to him, glad he and his family are safe, fucking thieves man, scourge of the earth.

Hopefully he plays a similar role to Giroud for us, feel like he'll link up well with Sterling.  I hope he can bring a bit of confidence back to Pulisic as well, he showed patches of what he can do in that free role behind the striker at the back end of last season.  

Will be interesting to see how the manager uses him & Havertz together once he recovers from his jaw injury. 

3 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

It's more than a habit at this point; we buy CF's that are way past their prime or damaged.

Well we bought or loaned a ton of strikers in the past years since Drogba left... Etoo, Ba, Costa, Falcao, Pato, Higuain, Giroud, Morata, Werner, Lukaku, now PEA

only Costa and Giroud were succesful. the real big disappointments were ofc the big money ones, morata, werner, lukaku. all were at or approaching their prime. Auba as you say is more in the higuain, falcao mold.

I guess you never know yet the club keeps rolling the dice hoping to hit the jackpot at some point... I really would prefer us to refrain from this short termism. Honestly there is notmuch I see what Auba will add. He might even scare away Broja. I understand why we sold Tammy but while Broja is still raw he clearly has more talent and a higher ceiling. I would much rather go through his development with him than wast ethe money and more importantly the minutes on someone who has no future.

7 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Well we bought or loaned a ton of strikers in the past years since Drogba left... Etoo, Ba, Costa, Falcao, Pato, Higuain, Giroud, Morata, Werner, Lukaku, now PEA

only Costa and Giroud were succesful. the real big disappointments were ofc the big money ones, morata, werner, lukaku. all were at or approaching their prime. Auba as you say is more in the higuain, falcao mold.

I guess you never know yet the club keeps rolling the dice hoping to hit the jackpot at some point... I really would prefer us to refrain from this short termism. Honestly there is notmuch I see what Auba will add. He might even scare away Broja. I understand why we sold Tammy but while Broja is still raw he clearly has more talent and a higher ceiling. I would much rather go through his development with him than wast ethe money and more importantly the minutes on someone who has no future.

I think most people around here were against the three notable CF signings from the get go. If I'm being frank, Osimhen is the only obtainable CF that I would favour over Broja as of now. 

The latter has shown glimpses that make me believe, given a real chance, not an odd game here and there, he'll make the position his own.

I've always thought Aubameyang was overrated. He's a good finisher, and a skillful player on the ball. He severely lacks in mentality, which translates into low work rate and teamwork. This makes him an odd choice for Tuchel style of play or any high press.

I think he was a flop at Arsenal and was again a flop at Barca. He starts very well, scoring often esp against the weaker sides, but seems to fizzle out as the season unfolds and matches become tougher.

With that out of the way, I'd really love to be wrong and that he ends up delivering for -- turn arounds like that aren't unheard of in football.

3 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

I thought that period between him getting up to speed (around Christmas time) and then injured vs Arsenal that Eto'o was absolutely brilliant.

I think we would have won the league had he remained fit.

46 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

I've always thought Aubameyang was overrated. He's a good finisher, and a skillful player on the ball. He severely lacks in mentality, which translates into low work rate and teamwork. This makes him an odd choice for Tuchel style of play or any high press.

I think he was a flop at Arsenal and was again a flop at Barca. He starts very well, scoring often esp against the weaker sides, but seems to fizzle out as the season unfolds and matches become tougher.

With that out of the way, I'd really love to be wrong and that he ends up delivering for -- turn arounds like that aren't unheard of in football.

Flop at Barca? He scored 13 goals in 24 games.. Against weak sides like Real Madrid(2x), Napoli, Real Sociedad, Galatasaray, Valencia..

At Arsenal, 163 games 92 goals.. Wish our strikers were this much flop. With 92 goals for Chelsea, he would be almost top 10 all time goalscorer. 

Last two seasons, Jorginho(7) and Mount(10) were our top scorers in Premier Leauge. We can't really do worse than this. I don't expect Auba being 30+ goal player but even scoring 15 would be a huge improvement from Werner. 

He is a good finisher, as you wrote, and this is what we need.