7. Raheem Sterling

10 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

It's not that I think Sterling is one of the greats mind you, but because I think Hazard is an extremely overrated player especially around here (not so much elsewhere).

That's bordering on blasphemy lol 

3 hours ago, robsblubot said:

It's not that I think Sterling is one of the greats mind you, but because I think Hazard is an extremely overrated player especially around here (not so much elsewhere).

The extra flair Eden might have over Sterling is easily made up for a lot more work rate as well as the ability to pass the football (as oppose to take it home).

What's so bad about Hazard's passing ability? Genuinely curious. 

1 hour ago, Blue Armour said:

What's so bad about Hazard's passing ability? Genuinely curious. 

nothing except that he did not pass the ball and always preferred runs and spins. That's the polar opposite of what the modern game is all about, which is what Sterling was coached into. He also never pressed to save his life, which is yet another advantage Sterling has. I'm being honest here... if I'm playing a CL game against strong opposition, I know which player I'd pick.

BTW, think folks here are downplaying his Madrid flop. It speaks a lot about about his mentality, or the lack thereof.

1 hour ago, robsblubot said:

nothing except that he did not pass the ball and always preferred runs and spins. That's the polar opposite of what the modern game is all about, which is what Sterling was coached into. He also never pressed to save his life, which is yet another advantage Sterling has. I'm being honest here... if I'm playing a CL game against strong opposition, I know which player I'd pick.

BTW, think folks here are downplaying his Madrid flop. It speaks a lot about about his mentality, or the lack thereof.

Madrid Hazard is a different player than the one we had. Its a broken down, injured shell of his former self.

Yes, he tends to hold on to the ball a lot longer than other players, but that's just the way he opens up the pitch for other players drawing attention to himself. And no one can ever accuse Hazard of being selfish.

While he has had forgettable CL performances, he has performed against big teams, scoring against several of them in the league. Whether Sterling is a better player for CL knockouts remains to be seen. He hasn't won his former teams a CL either.

Anyway, agree to disagree. I think you have made up your mind about Hazard, and you have a right to your opinion.

While I'm glad we have Sterling, I don't feel we have the air of superiority or the X factor we used have with Drogba or Hazard.

Can guarantee if we had a player of that quality in our team right now, we wouldn't be complaining about our over reliance on wing back play., or lack of attacking threat.

• 2 months later...

I am not going to say 'I told you so' here.

Before the Sterling transfer, I had expressed my doubts about this move and whether he was a player that could lift the team like Hazard or just someone who make the most of a good support system.

However his start to the season was really encouraging and he showed why he could bring an x factor to the team., so it's odd to see it trail off this way (although it happened to other attackers like Morata and Lukaku to be fair).

And this has coincided with Tuchels departure, a change in system and playing position.

That's why I don't want to make the first statement.

It's sad that at the start we had Sterling in form and Mount off form, and now the opposite is true, with James out for weeks.

On 10/07/2022 at 17:39, NikkiCFC said:

Diver, never rated him. His goals in City are just tap ins so his numbers don't show anything. What is he good at exactly? Put him in Palace, would not score 5 goals in a season. Zaha is for example way superior player. Would say I even prefer Pulisic and Ziyech over him. Not to mention his antics. 

I can already see what kind of comments are we going to see because Sterling is not creative player and cannot create for himself either. 

Hah! 

How is he meant to affect games when he’s playing as a wingback though? He wasn't amazing under TT but he wasn't this poor or detached from the game. He has more goal and assists contributions under Tuchel than Potter too. Go figure.

Plus even look at him for England - play him in offensive positions, he will get chances, score goals or make assists. 

Blaming Sterling for not doing much when he’s being played totally out of position is typical Chelsea. 

And Zaha superior? Are your eyes painted on @NikkiCFC?

Edited by OneMoSalah

On 02/11/2022 at 12:56, OneMoSalah said:

How is he meant to affect games when he’s playing as a wingback though? He wasn't amazing under TT but he wasn't this poor or detached from the game. He has more goal and assists contributions under Tuchel than Potter too. Go figure.

Plus even look at him for England - play him in offensive positions, he will get chances, score goals or make assists. 

Blaming Sterling for not doing much when he’s being played totally out of position is typical Chelsea. 

And Zaha superior? Are your eyes painted on @NikkiCFC?

Personally I think the Zaha thing should be case study here. 😆 laughing

Sterling is a good player and has always been a good player. We are not clicking atm, and much is down to tactical and personnel choices by the manager -- also my opinion of course.

I'm far more concerned about the new signings who never ever reached Sterling's level wherever they played before. 

Edited by robsblubot

9 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Really just goes to show how good peak Eden Hazard was. 

The ability to carry this team full of passengers for years. 

Our only WC attacker since Drogba. 

Ever since their departures we haven't challenged for the league 

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Up for sale some media reporting

I would keep him.. Even though the team has been clueless, he still delivered some goals and assists. I feel if our style improves and we would be more attacking side his numbers will be increased aswell. He is at good age. Has been in PL for fair long time, I think we all know his strenghts and limits. He is no Hazard but a dangerous weapon. Rather sell Pulisic and Ziyech than him, much more consistent. 

14 minutes ago, nyikolajevics said:

Rather sell Pulisic and Ziyech than him, much more consistent. 

absolutely agree with this

that said

I never wanted Sterling off those massive Citeh teams

I would have always taken Sane or Mahrez over him, other than that one insane year he had, but he never kept it up

I think he is a wonderful human being though, for his right for racial justice, so I cut him some slack

Weird but I would sell Pulisic and Sterling and keep Ziyech. Reckon he is invaluable when hes on song -his crossing and left foot, so he needs to be motivated either by getting another Moroccan ? or a manager that can get the best out of him. I realise Sterling can deliver but can be 100% frustrating too, (reminds me of Wright Phillips), missing chances and passes astray. Suppose it all depends on how Mudryk performs. Maybe against the dippers at the weekend...

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...