Saul Niguez

Milan

6 hours ago, Jase said:

For all the recent improvement of Saul, he really needs to stop diving into challenges. Did it 2-3 times against Spurs the other day and got away with them. Did it very early against Chesterfield and got carded for it. 

it was always a problem oh his at AM for years, he can be rash at times

I like him he needs time to settle in.

There's too many on here and elsewhere that have written him off without giving him the opportunity to prove himself.

He's come from a foreign land, don't speak the language, and don't know the English game.

ffs give him a chance.

On 06/01/2022 at 13:22, Pizy said:

Looked legitimately great last night. If he can maintain this exact level for the rest of the season I wouldn’t mind keeping him permanently. 

Where would that leave Gallagher though? He needs to be in the squad next season, he's good enough. Would also save us from splooging 30mill, which we can use for our CB needs. If we're not going to sell one of Kante, Jorginho or Kovacic, then I don't see why the club would go for Saul. His performances have gone from dogshit to bare minimum of what is expected of him, nothing so far to show why he should stay.

Edited by manpe

3 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Not only Gallagher. I really expect us to get Tchouameni. Kante, Kovacic, Jorginho are not going anywhere in the summer. Problem is how you give enough minutes to these 5 guys?

Saul has no chance.

Unless we play with 3 man midfield on a regular basis which we should. 

Saul for me competes with Jorginho for that “get the ball and quickly recycle it” role. I don’t think he’d necessarily block Gallagher who I see as competition for Mount in the more advanced midfield role where he can attack the box and score.

So it’s more likely Billy that Saul directly competes with when we decide if he stays or not. Highly unlikely that he does stay, but I wouldn’t be totally against it if he does as long as he steadily improves.

And yes, I do kind of find myself wincing a bit when I see him about to make a tackle. 😂 As @Jase mentioned above, several times in the past week he basically goes sprinting in like a madman and slide tackles people. Needs to calm tf down, lol.

CM is such a funny area in regard to dynamics and who will be staying and going. 

Here is my take on it; 

1) We do not need to sign a CM and should focus on other priorities. I know the kid at Monaco and Rice are popular options, however I just don't see the need to blow £60m+ on either with our in house options. For me, we should play the Real game of tapping them up and have them run down their contracts. Hence, neither are a no, just a no for 22/23. 

2) RLC and Barkley need to be moved on. This has been obvious for a while, RLC may be worth keeping at a CM5 but on his wages and for his own sake it is better he goes. 

3) Jorgi's contract makes things difficult to predict. In my opinion, he will be here next season and will leave for a free the year after as this seems to be the way things are going and I see him going back to Italy where he will only get decent wages if he is free. However, if he does that, it is difficult predict if he will continue to play or may get Malouda treatment. I suspect he will play, but you cannot rule out the club freezing him out in a WC year if they try and push him to re-sign and/or have an offer for him. 

4) Gallagher has to return. He is one of the few players in the PL that can get about the pitch like Kante and Kante cannot get through the minutes anymore. For me there are plenty of minutes available for him here and he fits him with what we need. 

5) Saul should not be brought but if he continues to improve then a further loan may be possible. I say this as whilst I do not want a permanent signing, I do think he may have a purpose if Jorgi is sold/loaned in that he will provide an experienced head. A lot however, will depend on his form until May. 

6) Billy will only come back if Jorgi is frozen out/leaves and Saul is not possible as another loan. 

2 hours ago, King Kante said:

CM is such a funny area in regard to dynamics and who will be staying and going. 

Here is my take on it; 

1) We do not need to sign a CM and should focus on other priorities. I know the kid at Monaco and Rice are popular options, however I just don't see the need to blow £60m+ on either with our in house options. For me, we should play the Real game of tapping them up and have them run down their contracts. Hence, neither are a no, just a no for 22/23. 

2) RLC and Barkley need to be moved on. This has been obvious for a while, RLC may be worth keeping at a CM5 but on his wages and for his own sake it is better he goes. 

3) Jorgi's contract makes things difficult to predict. In my opinion, he will be here next season and will leave for a free the year after as this seems to be the way things are going and I see him going back to Italy where he will only get decent wages if he is free. However, if he does that, it is difficult predict if he will continue to play or may get Malouda treatment. I suspect he will play, but you cannot rule out the club freezing him out in a WC year if they try and push him to re-sign and/or have an offer for him. 

4) Gallagher has to return. He is one of the few players in the PL that can get about the pitch like Kante and Kante cannot get through the minutes anymore. For me there are plenty of minutes available for him here and he fits him with what we need. 

5) Saul should not be brought but if he continues to improve then a further loan may be possible. I say this as whilst I do not want a permanent signing, I do think he may have a purpose if Jorgi is sold/loaned in that he will provide an experienced head. A lot however, will depend on his form until May. 

6) Billy will only come back if Jorgi is frozen out/leaves and Saul is not possible as another loan. 

So Kante, Kovacic, Gallagher, and Gilmour?

Few issues.

The big one is we will be relying heavily on the latter three considering Kante's fitness issues. 

Second, that midfield has no recognisable DM. Are we really going to go into our 5th season with another unbalanced midfield?

Three, Gilmour has yet to show anything of note that he deserves minutes here. Are we really going to trust him to be the anchor of our team when called upon?

Why would Jorginho be frozen? Is Rudiger now? Azpi? Chris?

Jorginho, Kovacic and Kante all stay. Those 3 are heart of our team. Most important players with few others like Mendy, Rudi and Silva.

RLC, Barkley, Saul out - Gallagher, Tcho in.

I like how everytime people say guy from Monaco because it is hard to write and remember his name 🤣

Agree with Moroccan about Gilmour. His career is based on 2 games in March 2020.

7 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Why would Jorginho be frozen? Is Rudiger now? Azpi? Chris?

Jorginho, Kovacic and Kante all stay. Those 3 are heart of our team. Most important players with few others like Mendy, Rudi and Silva.

RLC, Barkley, Saul out - Gallagher, Tcho in.

I like how everytime people say guy from Monaco because it is hard to write and remember his name 🤣

Agree with Moroccan about Gilmour. His career is based on 2 games in March 2020.

Tchou or Kamara in. Preferably the former. 

2 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

So Kante, Kovacic, Gallagher, and Gilmour?

Few issues.

The big one is we will be relying heavily on the latter three considering Kante's fitness issues. 

Second, that midfield has no recognisable DM. Are we really going to go into our 5th season with another unbalanced midfield?

Three, Gilmour has yet to show anything of note that he deserves minutes here. Are we really going to trust him to be the anchor of our team when called upon?

More like Kante, Kova, Gallagher and Jorgi.

If Jorgi does get frozen out/sold (very unlikely in my opinion) then either Saul on loan again and after that Gilmour. 

As for a DM, I don't see why we need one unless we go back to a back 4. A back 3 plus a DM is super defensive and we struggle to score already. 

Edited by King Kante

• 3 weeks later...