Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

F - Italy v England

Followers 1

7 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

Gary Neville says what is pretty obvious:

"The people who take penalties in my mind should be the people who are most confident about putting the ball in the back of the net, who have a history of putting the ball in the back of the net in those situations.
You cannot recreate it in training but you can have a comfort about doing it, you can be a better striker of a ball than others. I have got no doubt that Gareth and his staff will have done everything possible to have chosen those five penalty-takers. Those five were planned to stand up.
Raheem Sterling, if we are honest, is not a great striker of a football. His finishing can be quite scruffy. Jack Grealish has not taken a penalty for his club in two years and there will be a reason for that."

So he also makes a point that England simply does not have good options for taking PKs.

full article here: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12354137/debate-was-gareth-southgate-right-with-his-penalty-shootout-selections

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hilarious how its called 'social media'  -most I've seen is anti-social media

Oh well at least we can all be proud to support the best English club on the best English website run by that great Englishman James 😜

And don't miss out Belgium, with the talent they've got and they always choke😲

So dumb..so so so dumb. If it had been pulled off would've been a amazing moment..unfortunately..why would you have someone who never takes penalties as the 5th?! 

Good to get that far though. Makes a nice change. Shame the headlines however are about the racism..why are people scum?! 

• Thanks 1

Sick of hearing about it all now, we got beat because the manager made shit decisions, the players froze and they want pity....fuck that

Bring on the PL International football is shite and England aren't much better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

After 1966 England managed seven times to come close to a trophy, or at the very least made a very good impression.
Those were:

1970, W.C., Mexico
1982, W.C., Spain
1990, W.C., Italy
1996, Euro, England
2002, W.C., Japan
2018, W.C., Russia
2020, Euro, England

I don't agree with 2018, it was a lucky 4th place, but anyway.

How many times the other big countries in football have come close (counting the winning performances) ?

11 minutes ago, cosmicway said:

After 1966 England managed seven times to come close to a trophy, or at the very least made a very good impression.
Those were:

1970, W.C., Mexico
1982, W.C., Spain
1990, W.C., Italy
1996, Euro, England
2002, W.C., Japan
2018, W.C., Russia
2020, Euro, England

How many times the other big countries in football have come close (counting the winning performances) ?

We have 7 major titles and 8 World Cup final participation’s. Italy, Spain have 6 and 4 titles as well. 

3 hours ago, Jas said:

Tbf is this genuine or is this the media now just turning the screws a bit and trying to point fingers as if to say Southgate shouldn’t of picked whoever he did to take the penalties? Just seems typical the media need someone to blame. He’s already accepted the responsibility. I mean penalties are penalties. Someone misses eventually. Someone wins. 

I would probably be more concerned with how when Italy made their changes in the second half and they started putting the pressure on how England’s players shrunk out of the occasion bar a few. No real mention of Kane and Sterling though not showing up after the half time break or very little talk of how England only had 1 more shot on target bar the goal.

As soon as Italy scored I think it was pretty obvious what way it would go because of how they were just getting better and better and increasing the pressure. Why Southgate didn’t put Sancho and Rashford in earlier when Italy were pretty much playing on the halfway line for however long was baffling also.

Edited by OneMoSalah
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, Special Juan said:

Sick of hearing about it all now, we got beat because the manager made shit decisions, the players froze and they want pity....fuck that

Bring on the PL International football is shite and England aren't much better.

I wanted to give your post a double like.👍

My prediction before the tournament started was "we'll win nothing" with this numpty in charge (Southgate) he's a bottler, never rated him and never will.

Fucking seven defensive players in the first eleven, no flare, no imagination, and why the fuck Sterling? yes I know he scored three goals other than that he kept running into blind alleys, and Kane playing almost as a deep lying midfielder, and Mount got a rating of 4, but what those that don't know him is he's a number 10 not a fucking winger as Mr Numpty played him.

I wanted and want Southgate out, I want someone in that has bottle and that plays attractive football, I think the obvious choice for me would be Gerrard.. or even Lamps.

I honestly can't be arsed with England anymore whilst he's in charge, I fucking detest him😡

• Like 1
7 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Tbf is this genuine or is this the media now just turning the screws a bit and trying to point fingers as if to say Southgate shouldn’t of picked whoever he did to take the penalties? Just seems typical the media need someone to blame. He’s already accepted the responsibility. I mean penalties are penalties. Someone misses eventually. Someone wins. 

Who knows?

But I think everyone is perplexed by Southgate's decision to put Sancho and Saka as the 4th and 5th takers in that shootout. One came on in the very last minute of ET and barely able to settle into the game while the other had never taken a penalty before in his career and is only 19 years old. Both players had never been in this high-pressure situation - a penalty shootout of a major final - before, either for club and country and yet, Southgate put them through the ordeal. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, cosmicway said:

Those were:

1970, W.C., Mexico
1982, W.C., Spain
1990, W.C., Italy
1996, Euro, England
2002, W.C., Japan
2018, W.C., Russia
2020, Euro, England

the Dutch are massive chokers too, bigger than England overall, 10 Semis/finals, lost all but the '88 Euros, including 3 WC finals

Portugal are bad chokers as well, other than the 2016 Euros, they lost all of the other 6 semis/finals they made it to

Not enough to 'not be a racist' need to tackle those fuckers head on.

So theyve ascertained a lot of the cowardly anonymous posts have come from abroad - quite a few from Italy (no black players) - but heres the thing they use the same platform. Might be an idea for some of our big black names to hook up with NBA stars and NFL guys (they initiated the knee thing) to challenge Facebook etc. Park the tanks on Zuckerbergs lawn and lets identify these cowards.

Giorgio Chiellini claims he put a CURSE on Bukayo Saka before he missed the decisive penalty in Euro 2020 final:

Video shows Italian mouthing South American 'Kiricocho' hex during England star's run-up

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Giorgio Chiellini claims he put a CURSE on Bukayo Saka before he missed the decisive penalty in Euro 2020 final:

Video shows Italian mouthing South American 'Kiricocho' hex during England star's run-up

Kiricocho’: The amazing story behind the word Haaland taunted Bono with

England’s Mings slams UK’s home secretary over racism remarks

England’s football player Tyrone Mings says Patel ‘stoked the fire’ with her comments about players taking the knee.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/7/13/englands-mings-slams-uks-home-secretary-over-racism-remarks

England’s football player Tyrone Mings has criticised Home Secretary Priti Patel, saying she had “stoked the fire” by defending fans who booed Black players taking the knee during Euro 2020 final with Italy.

Patel had previously said taking the knee was “gesture politics” and Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who has enthusiastically waged verbal war on so-called woke politics, had also equivocated for days over the issue.

3030.jpg?width=940&quality=45&auto=format&fit=max&dpr=2&s=1d9af358599abc17004b217fdf971fd6

14 hours ago, Jas said:

Who knows?

But I think everyone is perplexed by Southgate's decision to put Sancho and Saka as the 4th and 5th takers in that shootout. One came on in the very last minute of ET and barely able to settle into the game while the other had never taken a penalty before in his career and is only 19 years old. Both players had never been in this high-pressure situation - a penalty shootout of a major final - before, either for club and country and yet, Southgate put them through the ordeal. 

I do think putting Rashford and Sancho (think they came on together) on 1 or 2 mins before was incredibly stupid though they probably didn't touch the ball before their pens. Rashfords was still only a ball hair away though and I think Donnarumma deserves some credit because they weren’t necessarily bad penalties from Saka or Sancho either that he saved. Its not as if they ballooned them over the bar or put them a ft wide of the post.

Even Jorginho missed when he could have won it for Italy. A game after scoring the winner v Spain in the shootout in the semi’s. Unfortunately, such a big game, someone would miss if it was a 19 year old or a 29 year old. Even Harry Maguire smashed one top corner earlier in the shootout, how many penalties has he ever taken in his career? Or many major cup finals has he played in etc?

Either way whoever had missed, someone would of said something. The subs 1 min prior to pens was the bigger issue I would say.

22 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

I do think putting Rashford and Sancho (think they came on together) on 1 or 2 mins before was incredibly stupid though they probably didn't touch the ball before their pens. Rashfords was still only a ball hair away though and I think Donnarumma deserves some credit because they weren’t necessarily bad penalties from Saka or Sancho either that he saved. Its not as if they ballooned them over the bar or put them a ft wide of the post.

Even Jorginho missed when he could have won it for Italy. A game after scoring the winner v Spain in the shootout in the semi’s. Unfortunately, such a big game, someone would miss if it was a 19 year old or a 29 year old. Even Harry Maguire smashed one top corner earlier in the shootout, how many penalties has he ever taken in his career? Or many major cup finals has he played in etc?

Either way whoever had missed, someone would of said something. The subs 1 min prior to pens was the bigger issue I would say.

Yes, anyone can miss a penalty but given Sancho and Saka are still young and had never been in such high-pressure situation before, they should have never been put in such situation, especially in Saka’s case. We know pressure can mess with players’ mind, probably even more so with the younger ones. So, why didn’t Southgate put the more experienced players at the very least among the first five takers like Grealish, Sterling or even Shaw? Instead, Sancho and Saka will have in the back of their mind that they let their country down and the worst of part is, they gotta see/take racial abuse from fucking idiots. 

England could be forced to play without fans after Uefa investigates final chaos

Uefa investigation into violence and storming of Wembley
FA charged over booing of Italian anthem and other behaviour

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jul/13/uefa-charges-fa-over-england-fans-behaviour-at-euro-2020-final