Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

R16 - England v Germany

Followers 0

Just now, robsblubot said:

wow Kai was the best attacking player for germany by far for me.

Werner is a funny one for sure: curse him when he plays and miss him when he doesn't (Gnabry killed Germany when he came on).

Kai as a false 9 is fine but tonight showed why he'd be best playing behind the striker. Werner was Werner tonight. 

Only emphasised further why we need a real ST. 

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bring on Sancho, Foden, Grielish and Mount. Simple as.

group of death all going out in round of 16, wonderful.

This euros has probably reiterated once again what we knew before. there simply are not too many world class strikers around atm.

2 minutes ago, Vesper said:

I saw none of it, were Timo and Kai poor?

Kai was probably the best German. Timo not in the game, and missed a big chance after Kai set him free.

3 minutes ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

Hopefully Roman was watching. Germany had so many chances.

So many chances? The one clear cut chance they had, Muller squandered it. The other was Werner's but Pickford also made a decent save. Otherwise, nothing. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Jas said:

So many chances? The one clear cut chance they had, Muller squandered it. The other was Werner's but Pickford also made a decent save. Otherwise, nothing. 

indeed... and a really good timed pass by Kai, which would've been an assist.

Edited by robsblubot
8 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Further evidence why relying on Havertz and Werner as our ST options would be stupid. 

It was always known that Kai is best as number 10. Today he created 2 sitters for Timo and Muller. Hopefully Haaland will come otherwise we will suffer again. 

3 minutes ago, Jas said:

Kai chance in 2nd half and greet Pickford save. 

Just now, NikkiCFC said:

Kai chance in 2nd half and greet Pickford save. 

THAT IS NOT A CLEAR CHANCE!

Just now, NikkiCFC said:

It was always known that Kai is best as number 10. Today he created 2 sitters for Timo and Muller. Hopefully Haaland will come otherwise we will suffer again. 

I'm absolutely ready to "suffer again." 😉

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Jas said:

THAT IS NOT A CLEAR CHANCE!

Jesus stop shouting!

1 minute ago, cosmicway said:

Miller sold the Gerries down the river.
Timo should have lifted that ball.

Well that's Werner since he's joined us. His composure and technique in those situations are sub par. Not going to lay too much into him as I thought he had a decent performance, but tonight showed by we are risking a lot if we persist with who we have. 

6 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Kai as a false 9 is fine but tonight showed why he'd be best playing behind the striker. Werner was Werner tonight. 

Only emphasised further why we need a real ST. 

Isn't it convenient to use this Germany game to emphasize your point? If they had done well tonight, would it have suddenly convinced you that we don't need a ST?

Let's face it. Germany were rubbish. Their WBs did zilch. Their midfield did zilch. Muller was a ghost. The service for the front players or chance creation was non-existent. Havertz was the liveliest German out there and his combination with Werner looked promising on several occasions. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Given Havertz's skillset, am not sure one can really say he's best as a #10 etc.

21 minutes ago, Jas said:

Isn't it convenient to use this Germany game to emphasize your point? If they had done well tonight, would it have suddenly convinced you that we don't need a ST?

Let's face it. Germany were rubbish. Their WBs did zilch. Their midfield did zilch. Muller was a ghost. The service for the front players or chance creation was non-existent. Havertz was the liveliest German out there and his combination with Werner looked promising on several occasions. 

agreed on all counts.

Huge mistake subbing werner IMO.... esp considering Gnabry horror show.

I see Kai becoming a dennis bergkamp in role.

I totally get why some here want a real striker, but a mandatory warning is that it's never a win-win. Our volume of play (work rate), which led us to the biggest silverware there is, also comes from the fact we don't play with a positioned center forward. The movement in our attack causes enormous problems to the opposition. It also helps us defend better.

Edited by robsblubot
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, Jas said:

Of course it's convenient considering my point is primarily supported by a 9 month sample size.

And on the contrary, I thought both players did well. Havertz did well tonight as a creator. Werner was utilised in the same manner as he was with us, but the few chances he did get he would squander. Standard.

Edited by MoroccanBlue
Just now, MoroccanBlue said:

Of course it's convenient considering my point is primarily supported by a 9 month sample size.

And on the contrary, I thought both players did well. Havertz did well tonight as a creator. Werner was utilised in the same manner as he was with us, and the few chances he did get he would squander. Standard.

But say if they had both scored, would you have suddenly said we don't need a ST?

3 minutes ago, Jas said:

But say if they had both scored, would you have suddenly said we don't need a ST?

Well no because you are presenting a statistical fallacy when you attempt to use a one game sample size to refute the 9 month sample size. Every dog can have his day. 

Edited by MoroccanBlue

Germany was not rubbish.
You are making it look as if England defeated a lowly side.
Both teams contributed to the match and England was luckier in the last 15 minutes.
In years past we 've seen better from both, that much is true.

Edited by cosmicway
  • Like 1